205 GTI Project Thread

I'd keep an eye out on your local classified papers - you might find something with a decent shell for £500 without a gearbox or engine?

I think it was late G or J Phase II cars that had a better galvanised shell?

Rich

This is still on going but just waiting on the cylinder head refurbishment for now as i cant do anything else until its running again.

Head has been away for work for 5 weeks now so should get it back next weekend hopefully.

So with still no news on this illusive cylinder head, i decided this project could not grind to a halt like so many before. As most of you would know when momentum is lost on a project it almost always means the end of it.

So got my arse in gear and decided to tackle the trickiest of the jobs... Quatre panel rust!!!

Got my brother round who is a professional bodywork technician, so got the job on the cheap :smile:

One days progress, from this:

DSC01909.jpg

To this:

DSC01968.jpg

Obviously the colour isnt a match as its only primered for now, being sprayed tomorrow as sunlight run out on us.

Professional bodyshops assured me another 205 panel would be required but we did the work from an off cut of a scrap Laguna door i had in the back garden, result.

Pics:

DSC01959.jpg

DSC01958.jpg

DSC01961.jpg

DSC01962-1.jpg

DSC01973.jpg

DSC01966.jpg

DSC01965.jpg

Brother and the misses 'working' lol:

DSC01963.jpg

Sneaky shot of my bros mini, Immaculate of course:

DSC01964.jpg

Also managed to fit the new water pump, it was all go today:

DSC01955.jpg

And got a fresh set of dials from Ebay, with only 107,000 miles on the clock. Result. Obviously front cover got cracked in the post so one refund later and a swapped lens and i have a completely free mint dial set.

DSC01934.jpg

Other quatre panel cant be done as the cars parked against a wall so cant move it without this bloody head, its been 8 weeks now. Hopefully i'll be picking it up in the next 7 days :smile:

Thanks for reading. Will post pics of it painted tomorrow :tongueout:

Finally got the head back. 3 months!

But im happy with final outcome. Skimmed to raise compression, valve guides changed, stage 1 porting in both inlet and exhaust ports gaining me 8-10bhp, valves 3 angle cut into new seats with fresh stem seals, 1.9 variant camshaft fitted for a little more lift worth a couple bhp and clearances shimmed up correctly. Then the whole thing chemically cleaned. Weighed in at £460 worth of work with a gasket kit for refitting.

DSC02139.jpg

DSC02140.jpg

DSC02141.jpg

DSC02142.jpg

DSC02143.jpg

DSC02149.gif

Fitting soon, watch this space.

Also managed to pick up a MINT gti steering wheel with centre cap, becoming very rare in good condition, setting me back £70.

DSC02146.jpg

More updates soon.

Last edited:
hows the body shell coming on?

Hasnt been touched since last update of the quatre panel. I have a spotless replacement hatch in the garden complete with wiper and mechanism, interior panels and spotless rear badges which are also becoming rare.

Just waiting on some hinges off ebay and i can bolt that on as my old one has bubbled with rust around the seal.

Hasnt been touched since last update of the quatre panel. I have a spotless replacement hatch in the garden complete with wiper and mechanism, interior panels and spotless rear badges which are also becoming rare.

Just waiting on some hinges off ebay and i can bolt that on as my old one has bubbled with rust around the seal.

do u think that u can save the body shell or will u need a doner?

i love this project something ive always wanted to do on an older car.

Awesome project! Looks like a really good job on the rust prevention!

Now.....get it on some Billies :wink:

I've been very busy this weekend with my little toy lol, picture heavy update coming to a thread near you soon :wink:

Last edited:
Right here we go, my weekend!

Well saturday was spent doing a 420 mile trip upto Scumthorpe and back to pick up some mint half leather interior for the 205 to replace my tattered old ones. Good interiors are becoming very rare so this was a great find! Pictures coming soon :smile:

Anyway that was Saturday gone. Sunday i was up at 7am and had the bonnet up by 8, with the intention to make a start on the mammoth task of rebuilding the engine.

Heres how she stood for 3 months waiting for the rebuilt cylinder head to be returned:

DSC02225.jpg

First job was to clean the block and liner faces up so the gasket could make a good seal, teadious job but worthwhile, then the fresh gasket was lined up:

DSC02232.jpg

DSC02234.jpg

Next i got some very fancy and very expensive stainless studs to replace the old rotten ones, they'll look nice under the bonnet and hopefully aid any future removal of the manifolds:

DSC02226.jpg

DSC02227.jpg

DSC02228.jpg

Then bolted the painted exhaust manifold on. Also becoming a rarity for the GTI as they commonly crack and spares are running out, luckily mine was in great condition:

DSC02229.jpg

DSC02230.jpg

Starting to look abit more like a cylinder head again now, also bolted the thermostat housing onto the side of the head:

DSC02231.jpg

Last edited:
Okay next was to mount the cylinder head up with its old friend the block:

DSC02235.jpg

Got a last chance to spray up the rocker cover, or more like got the misses to do it as i dont like messy jobs lol, great job of it she did too:

DSC02233.jpg

Even more of a shame i cracked it in half when fitting it lol :worried: Alloy and super thin needs a light touch:

DSC02237.jpg

Replacement via ebay en route :wink:

Head was bolted down in 3 stages with increasing torque settings, and in 24 hours has to be completely wound off and then tightened again, to aid bolt stretching and gasket compression:

DSC02244.jpg

New plugs fitted:

DSC02239.jpg

Now timing up, got a fancy new vernier pulley for the new 1.9 spec camshaft, this will come in handy for timing adjustments in later months when i go for a Twin Carb setup :wink:

DSC02240.jpg

Lower pulley assembly put back on and spring tensioner setup to accept cambelt, the belt was slipped on, tension setup, 2 full rotations and reset:

DSC02243.jpg

DSC02242.jpg

DSC02241.jpg

Inlet manifold built back up with throttle body and injectors:

DSC02248.jpg

Then refitted to the head:

DSC02249.jpg

Arch lining put back on, wheel refitted and after 3 months finally dropped back onto 4 wheels, a day i was doubting i would ever see :smile:

DSC02245.jpg

DSC02246.jpg

DSC02250.jpg

Thanks for reading. Next time silicone hoses, interior and new rear boot being fitted :smile:

Last edited:

Similar Thread Suggestions