Auto Headlights

Now then, how do these work?
Are they auto, as in they automatically come on when you start the car
OR
Auto as in they come on when its dark and go off when its light?? :001_unsure:

they come on in the dark mate. if you hold the little button on the left stalk it will say "auto lights activated" or "auto lights de-activated"

Auto lights (sensor on windscreen) means they come on when it gets dark

The lights go on and off with the engine on all 197s. Also, if you quickly pull the left stalk towards you with the engine off the lights will come on for about 20 seconds to light up your path to your house, nice touch!

Now then it may seem i have a problem.
Auto headlights are activated and if i use the car during the day they are on, there constantly on, no matter what time of day. The windscreen has been replaced before i brought it, now as you say thats where the sensor is/was im thinking this could be the answer.
Any thoughts?

If they are in the "off" position, then the auto lights should work. If they are on sidelights then you will just have sidelights on all the time (except when you switch off the engine), if you have them on dip beam, then you will have dip beam on all the time (except when you switch off the engine).

Ah right! cheers will. il have to give that a go tomorrow. all this technology is new to me lol i had a field day working out the keyless entry haha, im young too, were meant to know this stuff! lol

Cheers for the stupidly quick replies chaps. Its like having my own private hotline for my blonde moments lol.

Last edited:
The headlights are brilliant, I am that used to them I forget to switch them on in the GF's car :oops:

I guess you have found all of the locking buttons - took me a month to find the one on the boot lol! That is the problem with not reading the manual haha :smiley:

Last edited:
The headlights are brilliant, I am that used to them I forget to switch them on in the GF's car :oops:

I guess you have found all of the locking buttons - took me a month to find the one on the boot lol! That is the problem with not reading the manual haha :smiley:

It has a manual ? :confused1:

( is it odd I miss having a proper key? )

Mine does, I used it to stop the other booklets blowing away in a stiff breeze :wink:

grumpytwig i also miss having a key lol altho sometimes i still go to grab the key from the ignotion barrel only to remember i dont have one lol

Ive only just found out about the follow me home lights too lol how naive haha