Back from the brink...NOW RUN INTO ISSUES!!!

Mike

Gestapo
Platinum Member
...of getting rid of the 197.

This is old news to some on here, but I totally lost it with the clio last week - cambelt & 2 rear hubs need doing (or so I thought) and I thought "that's it, enough is enough, I want out"

What happened may not come as a complete surprise THIS was the start of the wobblings last year - and when I found out how much the cambelt etc would cost, I decided to look for, well, an ST (or a 182).

So I found the right candidate on the forecourt at the local Ford & Renault Sport Dealer (I go past every day)....58 plate, Blue, No Stripes, 41k miles, MP3 etc etc etc for only £6k. Straight swap was on the cards - I was going to go down the dealers on Saturday this weekend to have a test drive and finalise the figures. It would have been easier than trying to sell etc, and it's no secret my love for the ST.

So last night, I took a mate up to the dealers to look at said ST - loved the look of it, from a distance, then when I got closer, I noticed some things. The drivers seat looked like someone who weighed 300000 stone had been in it, the rest of the interior was tired (a 58 plate ST should have a mint interior) The paint looked like someone had washed the car with sandpaper for the last 4 years, and there were scratches on the car everywhere.

My friend on the phone pointed out that I could delay the cam belt for 6 months, my friend with me pointed out that the discs appear to have loads of life left on them. Having almost given up the clio for that, I had some truths pushed hard in my face last night - the person with owns a Golf GTI Edition 30 - said to me "I'd do anything to have my 182 back, I loved that car so much, and i got rid for the Golf - i'm now bored of it".

So then it hit me, could I face seeing my 197 for sale on a forecourt I go past every day at £2k more than I got for her? Could I face seeing some chav burning round in my clio with lexarse lights on it? Kerbed wheels, dents? The answer is no, there is no way I could do that.

So there you have it. If all goes to plan, i'll have a Clio 197 if I goto to :swiss: land next year, not a scratched, worn out, blue Fiesta ST. That's how close it got!

:smile:

Last edited:
That the one at Dinnages Mike?

I had a look at that the other day when i was there for service and mot ,not too pretty close up is it:nope:

That the one at Dinnages Mike?

I had a look at that the other day when i was there for service and mot ,not too pretty close up is it:nope:

It is horrendous, it looks stunning from a distance, but good God, close up what a shocker!!!!

Well said. I miss my 197.

Glad I didn't get rid to be made to realise that fact!

Nearly blew my clio out a while ago but when push came to shove i couldn't do it.

Even with the gearbox probs at the moment i still always look forward to getting in and driving her.

To be honest Mike, if you sell up for a car that's not much newer than your 197 you are still going to have repair costs. I really think an ST is a step back from the Clio, although the ST has got more equipment (but you won't have keyless which I think it great!)

Nearly blew my clio out a while ago but when push came to shove i couldn't do it.

Even with the gearbox probs at the moment i still always look forward to getting in and driving her.

I wish I could do the same. I worry about how much fuel its using a lot now, again, it was my month with the ST that did that lol.

I think if/when you sell up, you should only move forwards - else, what's the point?

You wouldn't buy a worse house...

Get a BMW 1M - I'll be a personal driver for you on the weekends. :wink:

doesnt matter what car you have items wear out or need changing over time!

cambelt = £500
brakes = £200

you could have been going from one known car to something unknown and potentially a load of trouble....

you could have been going from one known car to something unknown and potentially a load of trouble....
Yeah, good call man - a mate did that with his recent Type R. He sold a perfectly good MR2 for this Type R and has put thousands into fixing well hidden faults.... He's gone so far now, and he's so worried about another swap, he continues to put more and more money into it.

That was from a car dealer too!

Last edited:
where in Switzerland are you planning on moving to? Go close to the Italian border that has the best roads :wink:

Can't be doing with Italian!!!! Zürich is the place for me :smile:

Everywhere there has good roads everywhere :wink: Ask "backspin" on here :wink: - and a few other Swissy people!

Do it.

The 197 is great but uses too many bespoke parts; the 1*2's, and the ST have largely standard suspension parts other than springs, dampers and ARB's, making them cheaper to maintain. The 197/200 has bespoke and sophisticated aluminium components, totally different to the standard car; great for handling, not for ownership outside of warranty.

The 1*2 and ST also have gearboxes that seem less vulnerable to failure, with replacements being very plentiful if they do fail.

Rear discs are an easy change. I have a practically new set ( sub 5000 miles + storage rust ) for £70 and would happily fit for free if you lived local. A garage shouldnt charge much though.