Been offered an R32 for my 197 + £..

Hi guys,

Not sure if any of you seen my post on the 197.net facebook page..

Basicaly, I've a 42k 57 plate Clio 197 in deep black, subtle modifications made, nothing hardcore..

My ex boss who is considerably well off has a huge fleet of cars and is looking to make space for an Aston he is planning to buy.. I jokingly said I'd swap my Clio and £1k for his 2006 R32, to which he replied "Ok, deal"..

I wasnt' expecting that response and just wanted to know everyones opinions..

Many of you will pick this to pieces, however a reg check confirms the car has a perfectly healthy history and as above.. the guy isn't too bothered about losing a few grand.. not when he's buying an Aston to accompany his fleet of already expensive motors..

The R32..

-Full service history
-Fully maintained to high spec
-Milltek exhaust system (quote, I'm not 100% it could be a scorpion)..
-x4 new tyres (not premium, believe to be falken)
-Drilled discs fitted recently
-Immaculate bodywork bar few swirls here and there
-Interior as new

I really, really have my heart set on it.. however EVEN WITH the superior German build quality, I have the fact that the R32 has done double the mileage of my Clio.. would this hold any of you back?

With regards to running costs, I shan't be much worse off as all I do is town driving and insurance is an extra £132 a year which is f-all in the big scheme of things...

Thoughts guys?

Last edited:
What year is the R32?

Tax on the old ones i think is £450...

Personally, I wouldn't bother, those older ones handle like a bag of turd for starters.

The noiseeeee

But they can be a money pit

Ask on cliosport, loads of ex clio lads have them on there

I won't be using it half as much as I have used my Clio in the time I've had it though, literally just 5 miles a day to work, the odd run to blow the cobwebs out.

I am also unsure how him taking your clio is making space for his aston? He is trading a car for car...

Yeah do it. Even if you sell it on in a year you won't lose much money on it. Your Clio will depreciate more in the same period I would say.

I wanted a R32 until I test drove them. Now I wouldn't have one around me, I was so disappointed with it. So much so I though the first one I drove was broke so I drove two more and they were all the same disappointingly slow over priced hatchback as the first one. They feel soooooo slow and offer nothing over a Golf GTi other than increased running costs across the board (insurance, tax, fuel, servicing, tyres etc). The DSG box was ok for a while but you soon leave it in auto and forget the paddles. They are no where near as fun as the Clio and parts are stupidly expensive. Yes they sound good but it's not worth all the down sides, well it wasn't for me anyway hence I bought my 200.

Last edited:
Yeah do it. Even if you sell it on in a year you won't lose much money on it. Your Clio will depreciate more in the same period I would say.

This is exactly what I'm thinking.. I've no intention to keep it whatsoever for a long amount of time, but I'll be able to run it maybe for a year then use as a good deposit possibly on a Meg or something similar.

I am also unsure how him taking your clio is making space for his aston? He is trading a car for car...

I knew their would be someone picking this to pieces :wink:

His reason for initially looking to sell the R32 was for making space, however.. he liked the idea of 1k and my car.. that is that.

Last edited:
I would do it keep the r32 6 months and then sell it on and then get something you really want, sounds like a nice little earner to me

I wanted a R32 until I test drove them. Now I wouldn't have one around me, I was so disappointed with it. So much so I though the first one I drove was broke so I drove two more and they were all the same disappointingly slow over priced hatchback as the first one. They feel soooooo slow and offer nothing over a Golf GTi other than increased running costs across the board (insurance, tax, fuel, servicing, tyres etc). The DSG box was ok for a while but you soon leave it in auto and forget the paddles. They are no where near as fun as the Clio and parts are stupidly expensive. Yes they sound good but it's not worth all the down sides, well it wasn't for me anyway hence I bought my 200.

Fair comment, I will not make a decision until I've had a good drive of it.

Paddy took the time to write out all of the things I was thinking, so, what he said :smile:

I have had a drive in one too and have to agree on the above.

I'd do it personally, if your only using the Clio for town mileage then your not using it for what its best at. The Golf on the other hand with that noisy V6 and all that torque is the perfect tool for the job (presuming you can cope with horrible MPG).

On a track or fast road use the Clio wins hands down. I've driven every model of V6 Golf and think they're great fun around town and the odd playful roundabout but aren't "drivers cars". I took my Clio and a Mk5 R32 round Mallory Park the other year and although the Golf was quicker down the straight it was HEAVY and SLOW in the corners, you have to make all your inputs 2-3seconds before you want it to happen - not fun, the Clio was out and out the most fun, and when we switched the Golf owner (Brother in law, ex track day tutor) couldn't believe how much fun the Clio was.

I'd do it personally, if your only using the Clio for town mileage then your not using it for what its best at. The Golf on the other hand with that noisy V6 and all that torque is the perfect tool for the job (presuming you can cope with horrible MPG).

On a track or fast road use the Clio wins hands down. I've driven every model of V6 Golf and think they're great fun around town and the odd playful roundabout but aren't "drivers cars". I took my Clio and a Mk5 R32 round Mallory Park the other year and although the Golf was quicker down the straight it was HEAVY and SLOW in the corners, you have to make all your inputs 2-3seconds before you want it to happen - not fun, the Clio was out and out the most fun, and when we switched the Golf owner (Brother in law, ex track day tutor) couldn't believe how much fun the Clio was.

Fair say.. I'm looking at this strictly as an investment though.. The R32 would collect easily £8.5k, whilst the Clio barely £4k now..

Similar Thread Suggestions