Been offered an R32 for my 197 + £..

I think the Gti and R32 are completely different animals TBH. The Golf is lighter, and in Ed30 spec with some cheap mods probably the quicker. BUT, the R32 is a different sort of fun, its not all about raw pace its about the 4WD and that V6. Also they're great fun in the snow :smiley:

I've been in a R32 sideways around Brands Hatch

Never again.

Do it!! The noise from an r32 is unbelievable, plus you will make money on it, you will recoup your £1000 easily.

That mileage is nothing, I wouldn't even hesitate.

It's 2006, so it's done roughly 12'ish a year. So average, it's nothing excessive?

Plus if you were to keep it if you like it that much, they're barely run in at 100K

At least you know that's been a good one and been driven, rather than a bad one that's been full of faults, sat around in garages with hardly any mileage.

Mileage doesn't mean sh!t if it's been looked after by the right people. :smile:

It's a mass-produced car, built to be used not looked at.

Do it, have the summer and make some cash on it.

I owned a mk4 R32 but these are quite different. As has been mentioned before they are a very different type of car. The R32OC is a great forum also for handy hints and tips. They aren't "slow" but people are right about the clio being more fun on the track. I think you will enjoy it, they very much have a premium feel and sound glorious. It will more than likely have a Miltek exhaust with either the resonated or non resonated option (basically an additional silencer).

There is no belts. All recent vw V6 petrol engines are chain driven. These can get a little noisy at around 100k.

Just bear in mind the following when you sell it on. 1. if it is 06 onwards then it will be the higher tax bracket. 2. The market for thirsty petrol engines is slowly diminishing. The R32 is considered by many not special enough as a weekend car and.. So as an everyday method of transport it becomes expensive. Worth a thought.

Would I trade for that deal? Yes.

An update of sorts;

I took a friend of a friends 08 plate NON-DSG out for a drive last night. Brilliant car, savage acceleration.. but didn't feel fun nor exciting.. bar the noise there's not a lot I think I actually really liked too much about it.

I'm gonna wait ultimately until I drive the one I'm possibly going to swap for and make a decision on that.

I know it's a good investment taking the R32 but it'd be a lot of money to run something that's not all that exciting for 6 months..

An update of sorts;

I took a friend of a friends 08 plate NON-DSG out for a drive last night. Brilliant car, savage acceleration.. but didn't feel fun nor exciting.. bar the noise there's not a lot I think I actually really liked too much about it.

I'm gonna wait ultimately until I drive the one I'm possibly going to swap for and make a decision on that.

I know it's a good investment taking the R32 but it'd be a lot of money to run something that's not all that exciting for 6 months..

What didn't you like about it? When you say it didn't feel fun or exciting make sure you are not ultimately going on other people's opinions on a car specific forum. I have been fortunate to own many drivers cars and I will be the first to admit that sometimes in the past I have given a view purely on what I have read when subjectively it's probably down to personal choice and your opinion. Don't forget the two cars are very different with their own strenghts and weaknesses and should not be compared like for like. If the car was used as a track toy then I would probably take the clio. If it was my everyday transport I would take the R32. If it was a weekend toy then I would take the deal and make money by selling it on because neither are special enough to warrent that status.... In my opinion. What would I purchase with the cash? A Series one Lotus Elise. It's the most special, driver focussed car I've owned which will not depreciate if looked after.

My two pence,
Lee

^^ this guy speaks a lot of sense. I think if you hop out of the Clio then take the Golf for some spirited driving it will feel a little heavy. But day to day I reckon the Golf is a bit more interesting. Its all personal preference though, I've driven R32's a fair bit, and for short journeys and a bit of hooning on your way to work they're more fun than the Clio IMO. But, get the Clio singing through some more inspiring corners and its a different story.

Similar Thread Suggestions