"BK11 KXX - STOLEN Renault Megane 250" MY Stolen Megs for sale

HPi check comes up clean with no advisories and I have the AA going out this week to look over it.
My deposit was £265

In that case the car has been repaired and then verified by an authorised inspection which legally removes the Cat D registration from HPI.

http://www.autolign-inspections.co.uk/

As unfortunate as it is the seller is doing nothing wrong or untoward. It's probably the case that they don't even know the history.

Yes the car was Stolen and then recovered and at the time the insurance company would have deemed it as uneconomic to repair. There are many factors that can influence this.

Firstly they assess the market value of the vehicle and the age. If a car is new then they may be prepared to pay up to around 60% of its value in repairs and associated costs, this can go to as low as 30%. Should the costs go over this figure then the car will be written off.

The car doesn't need that much damage for this to happen. If for instance Renault had a back order of one part that was going to take 2 months then the cost of a replacement vehicle could push the costs incurred over the initial threshold set by the insurance company.

Just because a car has been nicked previously it doesn't necessarily mean it should be avoided at all costs. People will always say it's been trashed bit come on a lot these cars are thraped on a daily basis by their owner.

Last edited:
I'm sure you cant remove any category loss. You can get a vic pass for a cat c only. Cat d doesn't need one and cat a and b can't be repaired. You can, however, remove a stolen marker.

I'm sure you cant remove any category loss. You can get a vic pass for a cat c only. Cat d doesn't need one and cat a and b can't be repaired. You can, however, remove a stolen marker.

If it's not recorded on the log book and only on HPI then you can get the record amended so it is recorded as 'condition inspected' rather than Cat or D.

From what Badbuzz2 said the car did have some damage to it when it was recovered.

Autolign Website said:
Autolign Inspection have been Inspecting Vehicles written off by Insurance companies as repairable Salvage since 2001.

We are currently the only company In the UK who are recognised by HPI as the Vehicle inspection company for reclassification of Category C and D Vehicles.There are currently three sites, Milton Keynes,Wolverhampton and Redhill, Surrey.

All Inspection are booked in advance on a while you wait basis and take up to Two Hours to complete.The inspection covers Method of repair, Vehicle alignment, Steering/Suspension,Lighting, Electrics including airbags. The Vehicle will also be put on a ramp and the underside of the Vehicle will also be comprehensively checked, finally a brake test will be carried out and then the Vehicle will be roadtested.Test fees range from £240-£290 depending on the type of Vehicle,call the Head office telephone number 01536 790272 and a cost for your particular Vehicle will be supplied.

Once the Vehicle has passed the inspection (Which is backed by HPI and MIRRC Thatcham) HPI will then change the Categorisation on their register of write offs from VCAR- Vehicle Condition Alert Register Category C or D to Condition Inspected.

A report on the Vehicle and a Certificate of Inspection (Once the Vehicle passes the Inspection) will be supplied in three to five working days and also you will receive a letter of confirmation from HPI.

Please note we cannot inspect Category A or B vehicles for reclassification even if the Vehicle has been VIC tested and a Log Book(V5) have been issued.

Last edited:
I believe the original owner has already stated he was only paid out due to the fact it was stolen again whilst at the insurers approved repairer. From the information I have the insurance company did not place a category on the vehicle as it was not a total loss. It was recored by the insurers as "Recovered - damaged" and therefore does not show up on HPI.

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Leethelips Spotted 1