Can the clio be replaced?

Poor example give the Top Gear track is a power track.

Again you seem to be bringing the debate up about which is 'faster', if you read the OP again he doesn't care the word used is 'fun'.

What do you suggest ? A race around a multi-story car park ? (The Clio would probably win).

Fun car suggestions - within budget (ish)

Subaru Impreza WRX/ Sti
Ford Focus ST - add a Bluefin remap and some decent springs
Ford Focus RS
Caterfield - if you want a toy
Mitsubishi Evo
Honda S2000
Nissan 350z/ 370z (more of a cruiser, but still a good car)
Honda Civic Type R (FN2) - good handling but I think the suspension has been removed altogether; harsh with zero compliance. And the car feels "big".
Renaultsport Megane 250/ 265 or an older R26
Suzuki Swift Sport (I kid you not) - great, fun little car. Not "quick" by performance car standards but a good steer.
Vauxhall Astra VXR (Not for everyone, I know. Handling isn't the best - but they are quick).
Mazda 3 MPS.
Audi S3
VW Golf GTI/ R32/ R
BMW 125i, 135i
Etc, etc.
Or a new Clio 200t. (Contentious, I know)

Last edited:
What do you suggest ? A race around a multi-story car park ? (The Clio would probably win).

Despite your sarcastic response at least you concede that it's situation dependant. But no I'd suggest if you put the M3 on the kind of track that plays to the Clio's strong points it would struggle, something as mentioned by N0ddie and I've seen myself can tip the balance as the M cars are not always as 'over-braked' as the Clio is and are bigger and heaver cars that basic physics would dictate don't change direction as eagerly.

If it helps...

I traded from a 350z (similar performance to an M3) to my current 197 cup, on the roads I drive daily a clio is a much more accomplished car. Added to the fact that I have much more confidence pushing a FWD car than I do a RWD car.

Different strokes for different folks though.... stick an M3 on my drive and i would sell it to get a Clio 200cup ... simple

Poor example give the Top Gear track is a power track.

Again you seem to be bringing the debate up about which is 'faster', if you read the OP again he doesn't care the word used is 'fun'.

Eh? No. He was simply arguing N0ddie's response regarding the M3 being beaten on a track by a Clio 200, it wasn't a response to the original OP.

If anything it was N0ddie who brought up that debate again.

I traded from a 350z (similar performance to an M3) to my current 197 cup, on the roads I drive daily a clio is a much more accomplished car. Added to the fact that I have much more confidence pushing a FWD car than I do a RWD car.

Poor comparison. The M3 is certainly an upgrade on a 350Z in both power and handling, without a doubt.

Poor comparison. The M3 is certainly an upgrade on a 350Z in both power and handling, without a doubt.

Its not a poor comparison to compare a modified 350z to a standard E46 though..... although my point was more about the fact that RWD cars are harder to push to their limits if its something your not used to.

Get a Megane rs 265, we rented one this morning at the Ring and it's a fantastic car stock! You have more power and it's as planted as the Clio. I think the Megane maybe my next choice :wink:

Its not a poor comparison to compare a modified 350z to a standard E46 though..... although my point was more about the fact that RWD cars are harder to push to their limits if its something your not used to.

Then let's compare a modified 350z to a modified M3 then, and my answer will remain the same. A poor comparison! :lol:

Eh? No. He was simply arguing N0ddie's response regarding the M3 being beaten on a track by a Clio 200, it wasn't a response to the original OP.

If anything it was N0ddie who brought up that debate again.

And you'd note that N0ddie didn't say it was always faster just that in his circumstance on a track more suited to the Clio the tables could be turned, to which the response was that the M3 would be faster on the Top Gear track or any track for that matter, raising the debate again back to power/number battles.

It's strange you seem to want to fight his corner though, lovers maybe or just trolling again?

Oh and 350z's are terrible on anything but the flattest smoothest tracks with lots of straights, they aren't good at 10/10ths, but they weren't meant to be so that's ok.

Last edited:
This is a ridiculous debate IMO. No one knows the ability of the drivers in others cars on the track or road. Neither do they know whether its a healthy car or not, even how hard the guys trying. Some days I can't be bothered, other days I can.

The M3 is one of the greatest cars ever made. Unless you've driven one, I can't tell you how good these things are....

And you'd note that N0ddie didn't say it was always faster just that in his circumstance on a track more suited to the Clio the tables could be turned, to which the response was that the M3 would be faster on the Top Gear track or any track for that matter, raising the debate again back to power/number battles.

It's strange you seem to want to fight his corner though, lovers maybe or just trolling again?

Okay, I'll agree than in the perfect conditions for the Clio 200, it might have the edge on an M3. But for everything else? The Clio won't stand a chance.

Trolling again? I was debating last night and today, that is all. It was the various other forum members who decided to hurl abuse at me (read, name calling, offending my career and my age). Funny, it was all those posts that were deleted and removed, not mine. Suggesting to which it is those forum members who were trolling.

Personally I couldn't ever get a Porsche, although I do have a soft spot for the flatnoses of the 80's, its a kid thing.

The modern versions of the 911's are craking cars but I just can't get over the fact that the engine is in totally the wrong place which is why its taken Porsche over 20 years and modern electriconic trickery to finally get it right. 911's of old especially the turbos were notorious ditch finders.

That's just my humble opinion though and I'd never flame someone for having one in the same way I'd never flame someone for having an M3 which yes is an epic car but does still scream "cock"

No offence - but clearly you have never driven a modern 911 (your post reads like a Jeremy Clakson quote from years ago - Clarkson likes modern 911's by the way - he says things on TV for entertainment value).

I've driven a 911 (996) Turbo S - simply an astonishing machine. Nothing - and I mean nothing - will touch this car in the real world.

911 (997) Carrera 4s - doesn't have the power of a Turbo but an excellent car in every way and again, a masterpiece of modern engineering.

BMW M3 (E46) - actually feels much like a C4s - although rwd as opposed to 4wd. Similar performance.

BMW M3 (E92) - V8. Despite what the figures say it is much quicker than an e46 and power delivery is brutal.

Essentially, all (modern) Porsche and M cars are over enginered and deliver their power without any fuss or drama. Silly speeds are easily achievable - the Turbo S cracked 170 MPH on track and wasn't even in top gear !!!

I'm interested to know why you think all Porsche or BMW drivers are "cocks" - or is that another Jeremy Clarkson quote ?

I suspect if you had actually driven (and lived with) one of these cars you may think differently.

Last edited:
Okay, I'll agree than in the perfect conditions for the Clio 200, it might have the edge on an M3. But for everything else? The Clio won't stand a chance.

Trolling again? I was debating last night and today, that is all. It was the various other forum members who decided to hurl abuse at me (read, name calling, offending my career and my age). Funny, it was all those posts that were deleted and removed, not mine. Suggesting to which it is those forum members who were trolling.

Out of interest do you take the Clio on track that much? Not a sarcastic or attempt at fishing for info a genuine question, they surprise a lot of people and I'm thinking here of things even beyond M3's. Sure they get lost when you hit a straight but the ability to carry ridiculous speeds through corners is inbuilt even as standard.
Which is in itself where they are so much fun because you always have that air of being an underdog to some extent.

And yes it read that way a little, as for last night you were hardly an innocent party so lets not pretend so. I think it'd be nice to move on from that tbh rather than continue it.

No offence - but clearly you have never driven a modern 911 (your post reads like a Jeremy Clakson quote from years ago - Clarkson likes modern 911's by the way - he says things on TV for entertainment value).

I've driven a 911 (996) Turbo S - simply an astonishing machine. Nothing - and I mean nothing - will touch this car in the real world.

911 (997) Carrera 4s - doesn't have the power of a Turbo but an excellent car in every way and again, a masterpiece of modern engineering.

BMW M3 (E46) - actually feels much like a C4s - although rwd as opposed to 4wd. Similar performance.

BMW M3 (E92) - V8. Despite what the figures say it is much quicker than an e46 and power delivery is brutal.

Essentially, all (modern) Porsche and M cars are over enginered and deliver their power without any fuss or drama. Silly speeds are easily achievable - the Turbo S cracked 170 MPH on track and wasn't even in top gear !!!

I'm interested to know why you think all Porsche or BMW drivers are "cocks" - or is that another Jeremy Clarkson quote ?

I suspect if you had actually driven (and lived with) one of these cars you may think differently.

At what point did I say Porches were crap?? I said they were great cars and yes I have driven both old turbos and modern porches, GT3RS to be presise, epic car but I'd never buy one. That's my m ****ing choice.

And I only said that M3 drivers had the common "cock" tab which comes from my observations as a motorist so if you have one and from reading your posts clearly justifies my case.

Last edited:
Out of interest do you take the Clio on track that much? Not a sarcastic or attempt at fishing for info a genuine question, they surprise a lot of people and I'm thinking here of things even beyond M3's. Sure they get lost when you hit a straight but the ability to carry ridiculous speeds through corners is inbuilt even as standard.
Which is in itself where they are so much fun because you always have that air of being an underdog to some extent.

And yes it read that way a little, as for last night you were hardly an innocent party so lets not pretend so. I think it'd be nice to move on from that tbh rather than continue it.

I've owned the Clio for a little under three months from new so unfortunately haven't had the chance to track it. Having said that, I never once, for a split second, suggested that the Clio wasn't a capable machine. I would have thought twice about spending ~£14k on one had this not been the case.

Read that was a little? Please. As for me not being the innocent party, I believe it was me who was being jumped on and yea, you are God damn right it read that way, I was called the "c" word and mocked left and right. I treat people how I am treated and nothing I said should have invoked any of the forum members to hound me and mock me in the way they did last night.

I'd suggest to all current forum members to avoid ganging up on other potential forum members just because they stand up with an opinion that differs from their own. It doesn't make anyone feel welcome at all - and I know that none of you would have treated me in the same manner had we all been having a pint down the pub, having the exact same conversation. And guess what? I'd still have told you that the M3 is a league or two above the Clio 200 there, too. :bat:

Last edited:
And I only said that M3 drivers had the common "cock" tab which comes from my observations as a motorist so if you have one and from reading your posts clearly justifies my case.

Conventional wisdom.

Cocks are cocks irrespective of the vehicle they are driving.