200: Corsa VXR v Clio 200

Another comparison for you guys! Lots of hot hatches crawling out of the woodwork around here but this time I've actually done a side by side race which was done under safe conditions.

The Corsa VXR was a Red 2012 plate which I am lead to believe is 189bhp according to Parkers [1]. It wasn't the Nurburgring edition and MyCarCheck is telling me it was 189bhp. Now, we all know these cars do not put out the 200bhp that everyone thinks they do, rather 200ps; but even then they struggle to reach that.

As we approached the strip, it was a slightly cold night and he was in front, there was to be no overtaking action but it was said that if I could keep on his ass like a fly on shyte, then we would call that a win. I was keeping an eye on his exhaust, it had slightly cold smoke coming out of it and as soon as I saw the cloud dissipate and a massive amount of smoke coming out of the exhaust, I nailed the throttle. For about 1.2 second he pulled a car length on me, once I hit 5,000rpm it was game over for him. We went around the corner and I quickly pulled that car length back and some (French handling, see!).

I stuck on his ass up until 110mph, to be fair, my foot was flat and I was nearing him VERY slowly and it actually got to a point where I had to lift VERY slightly because I was getting too close for comfort.

So there you have it. This leads me to think that my car is running 190bhp or there abouts. I can't comment on the weight comparison but his VXR was the full fat model and so was mine, no cup or Nurburgring editions here.

Thoroughly enjoyed!

(Don't worry, I'm not going to do Harvard Referencing)
[1]: http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/facts-and-figures/vauxhall/corsa/vxr-2007/

Even if the corsa was slightly faster, what would you rather have? A jumped up shopping trolly made by Americans that are not only littered along the street like garbage and bummed to death my many a chav as if they were some sort of supercar......

or a very unassuming, uncommon, excellently handling, nicer looking car made by the same company that compete in and alongside the best in f1? And even occasionally win something.

Even if the corsa was slightly faster, what would you rather have? A jumped up shopping trolly made by Americans that are not only littered along the street like garbage and bummed to death my many a chav as if they were some sort of supercar......

or a very unassuming, uncommon, excellently handling, nicer looking car made by the same company that compete in and alongside the best in f1? And even occasionally win something.

Couldn't have put it better myself! haha

Plus side to the Vauxhall though is that i hear they do a 1.2ltd edition which is super rare?

Some lad in a 206 approached me at the lights the other day revving his motor. The lights changed from Red to amber to Green and in a cloud of smoke he was off! I looked and thought "I can't be doing with that!" and turned right at the lights. I don't like street racing, its dangerous.

Although the Corsa nurburgs looks quite nice, Vauxhall ruined the range it by releasing the 'limited edition' Corsa (limited to 160kish IIRC) and most models with free insurance and/or 0% finance. This makes me so glad that I have the 197 as stated above every tom dick and harry or shall we call them kev, ryan and baz drive one around.

Racing threads never go down well on internet forums. You can expect several 100% law abiding drivers giving you a e-telling off below.

Although the Corsa nurburgs looks quite nice, Vauxhall ruined the range it by releasing the 'limited edition' Corsa (limited to 160kish IIRC) and most models with free insurance and/or 0% finance. This makes me so glad that I have the 197 as stated above every tom dick and harry or shall we call them kev, ryan and baz drive one around.

Racing threads never go down well on internet forums. You can expect several 100% law abiding drivers giving you a e-telling off below.
What are you trying to say about the names Kev, Ryan and Baz? :chair:

:lol:

Waiting for the comments about 'safe conditions' lol..

Was completed down a strip of road that is only used by lorries 9-5 and is extremely long. There's a regular gathering there and the Police have no issue with it.

There are gents exactly the like that hang around that area, they don't like street racing as they've had friends that have unfortunately passed away doing it. But they're happy to do it there as there are armco styled barriers there with large runoffs. Fortunately not many people know about it and it's very well hidden. It almost looks like a drag strip. I don't mind what people reply to the thread, I full understand that some may be offended by it. But there's nobody there except the cars racing, it's completely up to them what they do as long as nobody else is hurt.

@_Chris.T_ they're actually not that bad cars. I agree about the Limited Edition chav cars though. There's a good 10 around my area alone haha! It does handle very well actually, but no match for French.

@Chris197F1 I understand :smile:.

@Stevoox Yeah, that limited edition is massively underrated. Apparently the 0-60 time is 4 seconds but all the drivers never put they're foot down because they always seem to miss gears!

@CL10_200T That's a shame, you should have got his registration and called the local authorities.

@Jcs Limited editions are amazing, yo.

I'm a firm believer that there's a time and a place for everything gents. Not all of us have the time to go to a track every Saturday and Sunday so I take mine out for a drive. If I crash then that's my own fault but I'll gladly admit that if someone else is around, I'll never plant the pedal.

Before anyone asks, I would mention where the area is but it's also on the down low with the officers in the area too. They wouldn't be too happy if they're supervisors found out about it.

Last edited:
I was stuck between getting a corsa vxr or a 197.... I test drive both and here I am with a 197!
was also looking at focus St-2's but never tested one! Could have ended up with the focus haha

I was stuck between getting a corsa vxr or a 197.... I test drive both and here I am with a 197!
was also looking at focus St-2's but never tested one! Could have ended up with the focus haha

They're all good cars to be honest.

Before I owned my 200 I literally never saw one before in life, I was already a massive fan of them before even seeing it in the flesh! Can imagine the excitement when I jumped in it! I was like a child at Christmas.

Guy opposite me owns a 14 plate VXR. We don't talk ! Never had the chance to race him yet !!! Ooops next i'll be saying the roads are my race track, and corners are just bent straights !!! Only good car wanting to play was Skyline GTR, i was 5 up with kids going to football, so noooooo.

Love a good street racing thread. I always tell people they are wasting their money on track days when racing on the road is much cheaper.

Love a good street racing thread. I always tell people they are wasting their money on track days when racing on the road is much cheaper.

Absolutely fine if it's in a secluded, unused area that locals know about late in the night. No problems at all and it's been used for years.

Again, don't comment if you have nothing to contribute towards the Clio 200 v VXR. You don't need to follow the shep and be the sheep for this one. If you are against street racing, great. So am I! I've explained myself in a previous post so please refer to that.

Thanks for some of the guys putting up their thoughts on the cars :smile:

[video=youtube_share;br4nCYnlJiw]http://youtu.be/br4nCYnlJiw[/video]

Clio 197 (195bhp at the moment)
vs
Corsa OPC - stock
vs
Corsa OPC (alleged 220bhp - IC, exhaust, remap)

Camera car Golf ED30 ~330bhp.

Last edited:

You won't be saying that if you do the ring, absolutely no roads come close to it. Actually there are some...the roads around the ring, yeah they are about the only good roads I have enjoyed.

[video=youtube_share;br4nCYnlJiw]http://youtu.be/br4nCYnlJiw[/video]

Clio 197 (195bhp at the moment)
vs
Corsa OPC - stock
vs
Corsa OPC (alleged 220bhp - IC, exhaust, remap)

Camera car Golf ED30 ~330bhp.

Definitely something wrong with that stock Corsa mate. It should have kept on the Clio's toes at least. Bad driver perhaps. I raced the standard Corsa and I was only slightly faster and the standard Corsas have about 189bhp. I expected to be slower to be honest.

[MENTION=4920]Gam[/MENTION] I think I sense sarcasm from Matt's reply :wink:

he goes to the 'ring yearly, just come back from there