Corsa VXR to Clio 197/200

has any done the swap from a vxr to a 197/200 if so what was the rason and what were there thoughts on the corsa

I've not driven a Corsa VXR.. I've no wish to either, they're bloody awful looking. but, i've driven a Cooper S 1.6 Turbo which i'd imagine is similar engine wise.

From that, you may miss the torque of the Corsa.. but keep the Clio singing you'll have a right laugh. They corner brilliantly too.

Corsa in my opinion is very flexible when putting it through the corners, good in a straight line but has not got the handling the clio has in the twisties, the nurbering corsa vxr is nearer to clio handling but I would favour the clio over the corsa vxr everytime.

Clio is far more predictable and consistent from what i've been told.

If i had a Corsa (any model / age) outside now, id go outside after work at 5pm, lay down on the ground and proceed to slither home.

It would be far more fun and id look like less of a tw*t in the process :smile:

Horrendous to drive and horrendous to look at.

i came from a mapped corsa sri 1.6 turbo so a corsa vxr in terms of the driving. i must say both are very good cars, corsa may have felt a bit faster on the straights due to the turbo but very simillar but on the corners it's a completely different story. The clio is a great car to drive and has a much more go-kart feel to it which puts a big smile on my face:smile:

You can spot right away who the haters and fan boys/girls are and who not to listen to. You have the 'know it all's' and the people who have actually had some experience of them...

Clio is the better car but I've also driven the VXR. Personally speaking the VXR gets away a little quicker from a standstill but keep your foot in it and you'll reel the VXR in easy. Handling wise the Clio is better. Looks wise the VXR over a 200 but a 197 over a VXR. Also consider what it is you want. Shop about and pay more for a Clio with toys or get a VXR that has them standard. Recaros being one of the options to consider.

The only down side to me about having the Clio is the adaptability, you get 197/200 bhp and that's it. VXR being a turbo gives you more room to play with and adaptability for when you get bored and want more. Also fuel consumption is better on the VXR I found.

kirsty.hopkins21; said:
Clio is the better car but I've also driven the VXR. Personally speaking the VXR gets away a little quicker from a standstill but keep your foot in it and you'll reel the VXR in easy. Handling wise the Clio is better. Looks wise the VXR over a 200 but a 197 over a VXR. Also consider what it is you want.

My heroine!! :jase:

You can spot right away who the haters and fan boys/girls are and who not to listen to. You have the 'know it all's' and the people who have actually had some experience of them...

Clio is the better car but I've also driven the VXR. Personally speaking the VXR gets away a little quicker from a standstill but keep your foot in it and you'll reel the VXR in easy. Handling wise the Clio is better. Looks wise the VXR over a 200 but a 197 over a VXR. Also consider what it is you want. Shop about and pay more for a Clio with toys or get a VXR that has them standard. Recaros being one of the options to consider.

The only down side to me about having the Clio is the adaptability, you get 197/200 bhp and that's it. VXR being a turbo gives you more room to play with and adaptability for when you get bored and want more. Also fuel consumption is better on the VXR I found.

that is pretty spot on tbf

I had a Corsa VXR a while back. Loved it. Really did. Was my first proper fast car. Had it mapped and Remus exhaust fitted. Sounded like an animal. Only sold it as I do nigh on 400 miles a week and it was costing me a small fortune to run. Now the wife has the 200 and only does 6 miles a day.

Day to day driving, the VXR is the better/faster choice. But for the track/driving enthusiast the 200 is definitely the better choice.

I had a nurburgring edition up against me at Cadwell park and for lack of a better word I spanked it sideways. Power is nothing without control. Even if it it did have a diff and bilsteins. Me and my 200 with some Yokohama ad08s made it look well.....erm.....rather boring

I had a nurburgring edition up against me at Cadwell park and for lack of a better word I spanked it sideways. Power is nothing without control. Even if it it did have a diff and bilsteins. Me and my 200 with some Yokohama ad08s made it look well.....erm.....rather boring

yup and on a recent track at rockingham, one driver in a nurburgring made another driver in a nurburgring look extreamly slow!

have a drive in one, youll be shocked at how "well.....erm.....rather boring" they are!

tbh i dont believe that, if anything that down to driver skill!

tiff needle is no slow coach, anyone remember the vxr vs clio 197!!

point said?

either way both cars are equal

point said?

Well put jonesy, my friend has a VXR and tbh there great cars :smile: both of ours being standard and tbh pretty equal, down a straight he has a slight edge in the twisties I do that's about it. Both are great cars.

I had a Corsa VXR a while back. Loved it. Really did. Was my first proper fast car. Had it mapped and Remus exhaust fitted. Sounded like an animal. Only sold it as I do nigh on 400 miles a week and it was costing me a small fortune to run. Now the wife has the 200 and only does 6 miles a day.

Day to day driving, the VXR is the better/faster choice. But for the track/driving enthusiast the 200 is definitely the better choice.
One thing I loved about the VXR and this backs up the above comment day-to-day driving the VXR all day long, No leg ache due to the clutch being so light its unreal. The Clio at times can be a struggle. VXR with a Remus is an animal, pops and bangs on gear changes and just sounds amazing!

point said?

+1 on theat quote. Not much between the two, as I said its all down to what you want at the end of the day? Your not going to get anything else out of the F4R engine power wise without doing the Turbo convertion. Where as with the VXR you can keep chucking money at it till your happy.

VXR = Built to be tuned.

Clio = Built to be driven. Hard.

It's horses for courses really, I can see the appeal of the VXR but its reputation (and that of its owners) proceeds it. Like an Essex Girl.

Last edited:
If you were ever gonna get the Corsa, try stretch the the 'ring edition. That LSD makes a big difference.

I drove the two side by side recently, and the standard VXR feels crap in comparison, IMO.

I've got a cup pack 200 with recaros.
My brother has a corsa vxr.

I really like the corsa, his vxr has the edge down the straights being 230 bhp, and I have the edge in the twisties. I don't see how people slate the vxr for its handling and saying they're boring cars, it's quite capable in the right hands.
Corsa has the recaro seats as standard, and there's no expensive optional extras to add, it's a good spec from standard. As with the Clio, there's plenty of extras costing £££ each one.

Depends what you want with a car, the Clio is basically at its limit for tuning from standard,
And the corsa you can basically make it your own and no engine conversion is required.

It's all personal preference.

it's funny to see people jumping on the hate wagon and never even driven the vxr.