Current MK4 Progress Thread > soon to be in the 197 game

Just joined this site today and thought i would give you all an insite into my current project before i move over and start messing around with a 197.

This is my current car:-

V6 2 Motion Mk4 golf - running around 210bhp

Ive done pretty much everything to this car

Has recently had a complete respray (same colour) but being a perfectionist and wanting the bodywork spot on for shows i booked it in to the bodyshop

Also had the indicators smoothed out, the aerial removed and roof welded, and had my rear bumper registration recess shortened for a private plate.

Car is sitting on Image splits - pain in the backside to keep clean 18X9 fronts with 215 35 falkerns and 18X10 rears running 225 35 falkens.

MK4's are difficult to get sitting nice and low, so i opted to change my coilovers for air ride recently, makes a huge impact to the stance of the car and lets you to get that perfect slammed look.

Some pics:

picture025uk.jpg

picture035db.jpg

10072011249.jpg

Ive recently bought some new rimmage and waiting to get rubber fitted to them this weekend.

they are 1552 Tarmac 1 piece wheels imported from the US

18X8.5

They look exactly like this:

vwpassatmk4wagonwhitefi.jpg

Well will put some further updates soon as i still have loads of mods to do to this

Thanks for looking
Tony

He probably got tired of dragging the arse along the floor! :wink:

Very nice motors mate. I assume you are keeping that alongside a Clio? Two very different worlds, at least with a Clio you don't have to worry about speed bumps...

Very nice. Do like golfs when done well. Bet it cost you a bit to get it looking like that!

Why making the move from the vag/dub scene to french tin?

Still staying in the VW scene mate and keeping my dub - will never leave that but fancy a 197 aswell.

I have another PD130 golf as a daily which i am guna sell off soon.

Think the 197's look cool even though they are french!

Last edited:
He probably got tired of dragging the arse along the floor! :wink:

Very nice motors mate. I assume you are keeping that alongside a Clio? Two very different worlds, at least with a Clio you don't have to worry about speed bumps...

I dont have that worry with this Golf either mate - flick of a switch and i raise it at the humps :thumbup:

Very nice. Do like golfs when done well. Bet it cost you a bit to get it looking like that!

cheers fella - but lets not talk about how much money i have thrown at this:worried:

I'm not a massive MK4 fan but that does look very nice. As paul said theyre very different scenes for the 197 and the golf. Though at least this way you get to pose in the dub scene and play in the French :wink:

Lmao even if it's French. They won't look so hot when it's breaking down every week and the bumpers keep falling off :worried:

But it's all part of the character I suppose.

Welcome to the site. Not keen on the mk4 either tbh, but the 197 is a great car if you are looking for out the box fun. Just remember it won't be as tunable as your VAGs. Good luck with your buying.

How is it drivable that low mate?! Or is it just for shows?
Its on air suspension fella - which means i can raise it by pushing a remote switch to whatever height i want.

The drive isnt as good as being on springs or coilovers but its ok - and yes air suspension is mainly something for shows but for practicality too - meaning you can have the low looks and get over speed humps etc with ease and not worry about getting stuck or getting damaged bodywork.

Lmao even if it's French. They won't look so hot when it's breaking down every week and the bumpers keep falling off :worried:

But it's all part of the character I suppose.

How unreliable are we talking - i mean a 197 from 2007-2008 time can it be as unreliable as some of u make out?

How unreliable are we talking - i mean a 197 from 2007-2008 time can it be as unreliable as some of u make out?

Nope, will be sound. You may have the odd squeek or rattle from the interior, but if it has been serviced it should be as reliable as the next car. A member on here (Deako) recently changed his Gordini for a Scirroco, which he has now got fed up with breaking down and has got rid of it! So it just shows really, it's more luck with car reliability these days.

Nope, will be sound. You may have the odd squeek or rattle from the interior, but if it has been serviced it should be as reliable as the next car. A member on here (Deako) recently changed his Gordini for a Scirroco, which he has now got fed up with breaking down and has got rid of it! So it just shows really, it's more luck with car reliability these days.

spot on response there - i have seen a few now and the exterior styling is nice as it is in standard format in my opinion.

The interior is sweet with the recaro CS's which compare to my R32 konig bucket seats.

In my opinion the only real let down is the look of the dash - but im quite fussy and expect a bit more as VW interiors are generally a step above.

Last edited:
I like the simplicity of the dash, but agree the quality could be better. I prefer the climate control, but I couldn't get one with it fitted when I bought mine.

In my opinion the only real let down is the look of the dash - but im quite fussy and expect a bit more as VW interiors are generally a step above.

Dash looks cheapish but mine rattles less than my brothers Golf :tongueout:

True story... Mine rattles worse than a pensioners dentures in the middle of winter

rattles like a bag of spanners in a washing machine.

love the down and out stick on the back. Theres a 197 one of them on ebay if you hunt around.

Never been a fan of the "euro smooth" look or the sitting on the deck . But each to there own. Hope you enjoy the clio.