First Cars!

Gromb200

THE TOFFEE
Platinum Member
Well my first car goes back in two weeks time, and promted me to start this thread!

It is only a lease car and got it when I passed my test in 2007. It is a Fiat Punto with a mighty 60bhp. :zomg:
I have had the car 3 years and covered 55,000 miles in it, it has been everywhere and not missed a single beat! (which is strange for a fiat)
Apart form the time when I was coming home from Liverpool over Woodhead in the rain when the windscreen wipers decided to stop working. Which was rather intresting! :blush:hmy:

Will be very sad to see it go as it was my first car and have alot of fond memories with, that only a car nut would get emotional about! :tongue_smilie:

So what was your first car and any funny memories?

I had a 1976 Fiat 133 Abarth as my first car....at first I hated it and called it 'the shed'....fact is it was a rare as a hens tooth, but at the time I had little appreciation of that fact! After a while I grew fond of it and even rebuilt the engine with my Dad and actually managed to get the original Aborth oval pistons and twin carb....even the multi branch exhaust! But it lack reliability, even after the rebuild as it was a rear engine car which struggled to keep cool....so I eventually bought my Mums Vauxhall Chevete...one day I went out to see a freind.....got back and my bro informed me that (unkown to me and my Dad) Mum had arranged for the car to be collected by a scrap dealer and it was lifted out of the garden and squash onot the back of the truck....gutted.....

My first car was a 2002 Clio Dynamique that I bought back in 2004. 1.2 16v with 75bhp!! Unfortunately nine months after buying it, through some spirited driving it ended up on it's roof down a country lane not far from where I live. Now on my fifth car :smile: and I always knew one day I'd be back to Renaults :wink: even the little Dynamique put a grin on my face :smile:

Mk2 Fiesta 1.1 popular! In sporty beige! Although, it did end up with an xr2 kit and several spot lights lol what was i thinking!
It was the muff mobile - B951MUF, got hit by a renault 19 quite hard, and replaced with another from the local newsagents window which turned out to be B960MUF and was totally identical!

My first car was a 1992 Fiat Panda 999cc with 44bhp.

I was given it by my grandad and almost declined as it was about the least cool car I could have had. But saw the sense in a free car and to be honest I doubt I will ever have that much fun in a car again.

It taught me so much about how to drive as you could drive it on the limit everywhere as the limits were so low. Also taught me the basics of car maintenance which was so easy on such a simple car.

Will never forget it, loved it!

My first motor was a 1980 Mk1 Fiesta. Three different shades of metallic brown and a radiator patched up with mud. Sold it for a 1985 MG Metro - that car was awesome (well I was 18 at the time! - Man that was twenty years ago :worried: )

^^ those MG Metro's were nuts....my unlce had an MG Metro Turbo...it was insane and unsafe...I was only about 12 back then and I thought it was the best car ever!

i had a corsa 1.4, i passed my test and after a week i thought i could drive, i lost it on a bend and it was dead....oops

A '66 1500 deluxe Beetle with a rag top sunroof. It was bought as a basket case for me and we rebuilt it from the ground up (split pan/shell etc) for my 17th way back in '94, a tradition that carried on with my brothers and sister.

Dad restores classic VWs and Porsches, so we got something oddball, rather than the usual Fiesta.

Then I had a VW Camper I went travelling in, many (many!) MKII 16v Golf GTIs and a whole host of other German metal.

^^ those MG Metro's were nuts....my unlce had an MG Metro Turbo...it was insane and unsafe...I was only about 12 back then and I thought it was the best car ever!

Yeh I so wanted the MG Metro Turbo, but the insurance was astronomical at the time. So I went for the NA one. What it lacked in power it certainly made up for it in chuckability.

Also a 1.4 Corsa. Which I still have for now. It is a SXI+, the one with the part leather (hells yeah). Had it 5 years from new and covered 39,250 miles. Pretty much started modding it straight away with coilovers and Irmscher stuff.

It is currently in the garage getting fixed up as the coilovers have died. Sad times!

I started with a 1992 VW Golf Mk3 1.8cl, loved it and still miss it to this day even if it was 'bogey' green as all my friend liked to say. It was an awful colour but great for car parks.

No one ever really wanted a lift in it when it looked so hideous, so I got some courage and put some alloys on it and GTI rear lights and new headlights and then people would get in haha!

It was this colour, no wonder people didn't want to be seen in it!!!
http://www.modifiedcars.com/pix/cars_high/19657_19250.jpg

I passed my test in December 2006. My car history so far, I think, has been pretty cool, so I'll list them all...

Dec '06 = '99 FIAT Punto 1.2, borrowed regularly from my parents and thrashed until...

Jan '07 = '94 S1 106 Rallye with a 1.6 16V GTi engine & SPAX Adjustables, fast car, no aids, made me wise up!!! Paid £2250, Sold £1750

Oct '07 = '90 P2 205 GTi 1.6, Magnex system, Bilstein Tarmac setup, still no driver aids, taught me about lift-off oversteer... Paid £1600, Sold £1800

Nov '07 = '99 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT, standard, surprisingly nippy, lovely car to drive. Paid £2000, Sold £0 to my mum and watched in horror as it deteriorated for 2 and a half years until she traded it in this May.

Dec '08 = '01 FIAT Seicento Sporting, bought standard, spent £6K turning it into a track slag, great fun. One seat, caged, the lot. Considering it only had about 75BHP it was pretty damn fast and certainly surprised a few around Oulton Park. Paid £950, Sold £0 swapped for...

Feb '10 = '95 FIAT Coupe 16V Turbo. Swapped for the Seicento, ''Stage 1'' engine mods, Eibach springs. Went like **** off a shovel in a straight line, brakes were mediocre to say the least and handling was, erm, different. Sounded like a Lancia Delta rally car but it was underwhelming to drive in reality. But having people stare everywhere I went in it and having people ask me about my ''Ferrari'' made it quite fun to own. Paid £0, Sold £1000

May '10 = '07 Renaultsport 197. I'm in love!!! A car I'd wanted since driving one around Oulton Park on an experience day on a frosty Sunday in Feb '08. This one's going to be staying for, well, I can't see it going at all and I'll be paying for it for the next four and a half years anyway. I have a few little plans for her but I don't want to go too mental. Hoping to get back to Oulton Park in the New Year and try to keep up embarass some of the ''bigger'' boys. Paid £8000, £2K less than it was marked up for.

:wink:

Last edited:
Fiat Punto Mk2 1.2 8v was my first car.
Fiat Punto Mk2 1.8 16v HGT (was turned into a track toy)
Fiat Cinquecento 1.1 Sporting (daily driver as the HGT wasn't suitable)
Fiat Seicento 1.1 Sporting (Cinq got flood damaged :worried:)
Fiat Punto Mk2 1.2 16v Sporting (Hated the sei!)
VW Lupo 1.6 GTi

That's my car history. Took me a while to break the Fiat trend :wink:

Only ever owned the R27.

Prior to that I was driving my parents Ford Ka and a variety of company cars. Not really a long list lol! Funnily enough the Clio is the best haha!

Similar Thread Suggestions