Hex bolts on front calipers stuck

Hi,

Can anyone help me as I have just received my new front discs and pads, tried to get the hex bolts out wuth a big 12mm allen key but they won't move, not sure what to do. Can anyone help.

Many thanks

Adam

ermmm you need more than just an allen key - its a strong bar and hex adapter to undo them....

if you havent the right tools for goodness sake dont attempt the job you will end up killing someone of you dont tighten stuff up right

I've not done anything else, put got all the bits to remove everything appart from the calliper bolts. I got new pins so not bothered if they get damaged wen I take them out

A long bar will provide a greater turning force, this effectively makes tighter bolts easier to loosen. As foxspeed has said, if you aint confident with safety components, dont touch em.....

Leave the guy to it! He never said he wasn't confident, just wanted advice on how to undo the bolts. Not everyone has encountered calipers like these before, but that doesn't mean they aren't capible of changing a set of discs and pads.

It's no more difficult than on any other car, as long as you have the tools to do it.

sorry but if you think an allen key will undo a 12mm (160nm tight) caliper bolt something needs saying - its the brakes!!!

the size of them should have you asking questions like "do i have the right tools/skills to do this job"

if your not sure either ask or dont do it - its not like changing a bulb

i dont want to be reading about brake failure on here because some thing fell off or wasnt tighten on right!

and this is not a dig at the op either its a general observation that theres a few that have-a-go and have a havent-got-a-clue mentality...

do poeple on here fix there own gas boilers...

Last edited:
I see your point Si, but most people aren't interested in their gas boiler, and have no interest in learning how it works/participating in its up-keep. I'm sure if this was GasBoilers.net they might be.

I'm no mechanic, and I know very little about exactly how a car pieces together. However I am fairly handy with a spanner (after spending several years as a technician). This means I do tend to ask a lot of (seemingly) stupid questions as I like to be sure exactly how or why I should be doing something on the car, having not done most of the jobs I'm attempting in the past, but I do them so I can learn.

The OP could have gone out and bought a massive bar and jumped on it till the bolt came out, but for all he knows that could have broken it (not everyone knows the bolt is supposed to be 175nm tight), so he asked the question. If everytime someone asks a question they get scolded for it, next time they're less likely to ask, which doesn't necessarily mean they're less likely to attempt the job anyway and c*ck it up.

This isn't a dig at you personally by the way, you know that I appreciate your input on here, and I've benefited a lot from it over the years :smile:. However there does seem to be more and more posts from lots of members dismissing people trying to 'have a go' because they don't already the know the answer to the question they asked, isn't that the whole point in having these sections?

:hug:

I see your point Si, but most people aren't interested in their gas boiler, and have no interest in learning how it works/participating in its up-keep. I'm sure if this was GasBoilers.net they might be.

I'm no mechanic, and I know very little about exactly how a car pieces together. However I am fairly handy with a spanner (after spending several years as a technician). This means I do tend to ask a lot of (seemingly) stupid questions as I like to be sure exactly how or why I should be doing something on the car, having not done most of the jobs I'm attempting in the past, but I do them so I can learn.

The OP could have gone out and bought a massive bar and jumped on it till the bolt came out, but for all he knows that could have broken it (not everyone knows the bolt is supposed to be 175nm tight), so he asked the question. If everytime someone asks a question they get scolded for it, next time they're less likely to ask, which doesn't necessarily mean they're less likely to attempt the job anyway and c*ck it up.

This isn't a dig at you personally by the way, you know that I appreciate your input on here, and I've benefited a lot from it over the years :smile:. However there does seem to be more and more posts from lots of members dismissing people trying to 'have a go' because they don't already the know the answer to the question they asked, isn't that the whole point in having these sections?

:hug:

indeed rob it is :thumbsup:

Big old allen key isnt it! We needed the allen key adaptor'me'bob and a breaker bar to undo mine, bloody tight.

Fox, is there a guide or something that shows what needs to be tightened up to how much?