Hex bolts on front calipers stuck

I'd expect them to snap!

For reference we tighten m10 caliper nuts to 50nm.

Torque figures are only a guide, you need to have a feel for how tight something needs to be. When I did my pads last week (on the Clio!) the bolts weren't too tight to undo, and for sure they don't need to be up to 160nm! Essentially they're just holding the caliper in place, there's not a lot of force against them.

I'd expect them to snap!

For reference we tighten m10 caliper nuts to 50nm.

Torque figures are only a guide, you need to have a feel for how tight something needs to be. When I did my pads last week (on the Clio!) the bolts weren't too tight to undo, and for sure they don't need to be up to 160nm! Essentially they're just holding the caliper in place, there's not a lot of force against them.

the figiure will surely come from brembo - they are a substantial bolt - as for high force no but its steel and aluminium so want to make sure they stay in position probably... (the rear hub nuts are done to 175nm)

tightness also depends on grade of steel used and its usually better to strip the cheaper retiainer/bolt/nut than the actual component but as you say the "feel" for something is in most cases a good guide :thumbsup:

I have been using 120nm for wheels.. are you sure about 140nm?

i am got two figures in fact - one on a pdf that states 130nm and another in the rs supplement that states 140nm :thumbsup: and to be honest at that they are not excessively tight

Last edited:
I can't believe that you're right - that's massively tight!!

compared to what?

page 14 of rs supplement booklet...

"With the wheels on the ground,
tighten the bolts fully and have the
tightness of the bolts checked by a
RENAULT Dealer as soon as possible
(tightening torque: 140 Nm)."