Interesting "Car modding scene" article..........

Little just read this Shuv, was about to fire up the article myself! A good read with some interest points for a 30 year "old timer"

Having never been part of the "scene" it's interesting to get a take on how someone out of their youth views them! I've never been interested in sitting in cold Asda car parks, but most of the reputation of that now is negative, rightly or wrongly!

As for the Xmas meal the other month it's just nice to meet up with random people who share the same passion to talk about cars, rather than a group of people trying to better one another with their vehicles!

Last edited:
Little just read this Shuv, was about to fire up the article myself! A good read with some interest points for a 30 year "old timer"

Having never been part of the "scene" it's interesting to get a take on how someone out of their youth views them! I've never been interested in sitting in cold Asda car parks, but most of the reputation of that now is negative, rightly or wrongly!

As for the Xmas meal the other month it's just nice to meet up with random people who share the same passion to talk about cars, rather than a group of people trying to better one another with their vehicles!

I think (And hope) the article rings true Ross.

I was there in the Max-Power days when people were getting Saxo's on the never-never [Part and parcel of why they were so popular - along with the free insurance offers].....And then spending £30k on them. Also on the never-never of course.

All in some way to keep up with the next man.

Hopefully in the main; people now do whatever mods they chose for themselves alone, and fellow car-nuts see the efforts put in and the passion of a particular person for what it is.....

Reactions: RossWoods93
Similar to what Ross has said, one of the main things I took away from that article, is that I think that one of the big reasons (IMO anyway) that this forum is so popular and successful, is that there is zero bitchiness/unfriendly competition/one-upmanship/'my car is better than your car' etc etc. On the contrary, people's progress threads are full of positive comments and encouragement - not once have I read a post that is poking fun, or slagging off someone's new mod.

I was long-term member on ZSOC and at car shows/meets there was always someone who would look down on people if they hadn't modded their cars, or not spent hundreds on a new set of alloys. I've never encountered that on here, and I don't think I ever will. We are very much an 'inclusive' community on here!

Jimmy, you've just summed up a lot of why I like this place so much.

Although we have the advantage of the cars being bloody awesome when they left the factory so modding isn't even necessary.

:smile:

Reactions: Johnny 99 and LOCKE
I first got into Renaults after reading EVO magazine and the articles about the 182 Cup and Trophy. Not the best looking car the 182 but the Cup is a lot of fun. Then I saw the R27 and the search was on. It took me years and I mean years to find the right one. The reason I picked the R27 as out the box it has what I want - Recaros and Cup suspension, so no need to mod any further. If and when modding I like to keep with genuine accessories or an aftermarket affiliated product so was over the moon to find my R27 with genuine front RS splitter and Cup spoiler.

I think mods have came a long way. Back in the 90s it as all booming sound systems, wheels rubbing off arches and loud exhausts. Now I think the detailing side has taken over and less is more and any mod is to enhance the car rather to upstage the next guy.

As for this forum I was genuinely surprised to find so many people my own age. Being in my 40s people 'expect' you to be driving a certain type of car. The project threads are great wether it's full on Megane conversions or little interior mods. There seems to be only respect and honest opinions on here which I like. I look to forums as away to share my hobbies and gain knowledge which this forum has excelled.

I first got into Renaults after reading EVO magazine and the articles about the 182 Cup and Trophy. Not the best looking car the 182 but the Cup is a lot of fun. Then I saw the R27 and the search was on. It took me years and I mean years to find the right one. The reason I picked the R27 as out the box it has what I want - Recaros and Cup suspension, so no need to mod any further. If and when modding I like to keep with genuine accessories or an aftermarket affiliated product so was over the moon to find my R27 with genuine front RS splitter and Cup spoiler.

I think mods have came a long way. Back in the 90s it as all booming sound systems, wheels rubbing off arches and loud exhausts. Now I think the detailing side has taken over and less is more and any mod is to enhance the car rather to upstage the next guy.

As for this forum I was genuinely surprised to find so many people my own age. Being in my 40s people 'expect' you to be driving a certain type of car. The project threads are great wether it's full on Megane conversions or little interior mods. There seems to be only respect and honest opinions on here which I like. I look to forums as away to share my hobbies and gain knowledge which this forum has excelled.
In my case mid 50s

Reactions: LOCKE

Good post.