My Full Fat Mistress - 293bhp F4RT - The end of an era...

My master mechanic might be able to work magic but unfortunately he is unable like the rest of us to look at an injector and say 'that's over duty that' likewise with the fuel pump. Hence why I was going to RST after having the new engine put in to ensure everything was ok.

With 2 engine failures it was the correct way of doing things.

The fuel pump issue is as Litchy has found in that these meg conversions are all using a Clio fuel pump which is not upto the job when going over certain power levels.

To be fair the old engine did 15k but tbh I don't want to kill another engine before I get the forged lump built.

i was talking about the clutch. they would of been able to see that its needs replacing when the engine was out, now your gonna have to pay again to take the box out when its was already out.
as for the duty rate on the injectors, you knew they were over when u got stec to map the car. Litchy's has a different engine. i thought the megane/clio standard fuel pump was good for 320ish bhp? or is it not?

Clutch looked ok Jonsey when it was apart.

and no I didn't know they over I thought they were at the limit but that doesn't matter tbh. The main issue was the fuel pump, the Meg and clio pumps are different. Paul advised me to turn it all down until I sorted clutch and fuel pump out.. no brainer really and no problem at all.

Clutch looked ok Jonsey when it was apart.

and no I didn't know they over I thought they were at the limit but that doesn't matter tbh. The main issue was the fuel pump, the Meg and clio pumps are different. Paul advised me to turn it all down until I sorted clutch and fuel pump out.. no brainer really and no problem at all.

if you were advised the clutch looked ok, id go get them to get their eyes tested.

anyway.... bring on the forged engine build son!!! :smile:

Whats the clio box and meg engine combo like?

I love it. First gear is a bit short so kind of useless bit once it gets going there's no let up. With the slightly reduced rev limit top speed is around 140 but it just keeps going strong right up to it. There's no slow down in the rate of acceleration. 5th and 6th gear are just mental.

if you were advised the clutch looked ok, id go get them to get their eyes tested.

anyway.... bring on the forged engine build son!!! :smile:

Lol need my eyes testing too then cos I looked at it myself. It's on a std clutch which was never meant to take nearly 300lb torque. It's stood up pretty well as has the rest of it. It's done over 15k

I will say tho that these conversion are bloody money pits when you get you get going and don't know when to stop.. haha

Last edited:
I love it. First gear is a bit short so kind of useless bit once it gets going there's no let up. With the slightly reduced rev limit top speed is around 140 but it just keeps going strong right up to it. There's no slow down in the rate of acceleration. 5th and 6th gear are just mental.

Sounds great. I think this is the route ill choose and just uprate the clutch and get a rs200 brand new gearbox. I dont care about top speed as you wont reach it on the road or track anyway.

Sounds great. I think this is the route ill choose and just uprate the clutch and get a rs200 brand new gearbox. I dont care about top speed as you wont reach it on the road or track anyway.

I think I'll stick with the Clio box, been speaking with someone about an uprated high power clutch so we'll see.

I find using the clio box keeps that clio character that we all love. The top speed is ok. At Cadwell I only just hit 6th down Barn and Park, think you'd prob hit limiter at Silverstone or Snetterton tho

I think I'll stick with the Clio box, been speaking with someone about an uprated high power clutch so we'll see.

I find using the clio box keeps that clio character that we all love. The top speed is ok. At Cadwell I only just hit 6th down Barn and Park, think you'd prob hit limiter at Silverstone or Snetterton tho

Yeah very true, keeping it on the limiter is the charm of the clio.

Maybe, but the thrill is in the acceleration in a quick car and not the top speed IMO

15k on a standard clutch running 290bhp I personally think it held up really well

Totally agree. When I first did it I wanted to see how the clio box and clutch would hold up as standard. Toyed with the idea of putting a diff in it at first but didn't want to spend 700 notes only b to then decide the clio box wasn't for me.

I'm upgrading my fuel pump and regulator. [Think] to a Meg one. Precisely for that reason.

Still nice and healthy tho!

Just to give people my experience of fueling. Standard fuel pump, even with 630cc's, duty cycle was higher than a 450 bhp forged Meg 250. That's how hard I had to push the injectors to make just 305 bhp. At the top end, it was lean!!!!!!!!and not good if your kicking its teeth in high up that rev range all the time.

I fitted the 630's to compensate for poor fuel pressure. On reflection, don't think I needed them, I think I could have achieved the same if I'd have sorted the fueling from the outset. The problem was at that time there was no other option as I didn't want a fuel system (swirl pot, noisy fuel pump etc...) in my boot. The 630's can create its own problems and remember in modding, everything is a trade off. They apparently aren't the easiest things to map and initially I was getting dash warning lights (injector issues). New fuel pump (care of Andy) resolved that issue.

Gearbox is each to their own. Plus's and negatives to both. I thought R26 box and save £800 fitting a diff. Also loads of Megs running 300+ with no gearbox issues so was a no brainer. Downside was the need for Meg shafts. I'm also not convinced on the road they are that different tbh, just your keep some of the clio'ness and maybe you have to use the gears a little more than using the Meg box. I really wanted the cruiser feel of the 5-6 gear of the Meg box on the Motorway.

Each to their own though and I'm not saying I'm any expert, just sharing my experiences with folk..

Last edited:
Just to give people my experience of fueling. Standard fuel pump, even with 630cc's, duty cycle was higher than a 450 bhp forged Meg 250. That's how hard I had to push the injectors to make just 305 bhp. At the top end, it was lean!!!!!!!!and not good if your kicking its teeth in high up that rev range all the time.

I fitted the 630's to compensate for poor fuel pressure. On reflection, don't think I needed them, I think I could have achieved the same if I'd have sorted the fueling from the outset. The problem was at that time there was no other option as I didn't want a fuel system (swirl pot, noisy fuel pump etc...) in my boot. The 630's can create its own problems and remember in modding, everything is a trade off. They apparently aren't the easiest things to map and initially I was getting dash warning lights (injector issues). New fuel pump (care of Andy) resolved that issue.

Gearbox is each to their own. Plus's and negatives to both. I thought R26 box and save £800 fitting a diff. Also loads of Megs running 300+ with no gearbox issues so was a no brainer. Downside was the need for Meg shafts. I'm also not convinced on the road they are that different tbh, just your keep some of the clio'ness and maybe you have to use the gears a little more than using the Meg box. I really wanted the cruiser feel of the 5-6 gear of the Meg box on the Motorway.

Each to their own though and I'm not saying I'm any expert, just sharing my experiences with folk..

Couldn't agree more Wilson. It's funny because we are all hitting some of the same problems in these builds but that's the nature of the beast.

The fuel pump you have from Andy is definitely a wise purchase when hitting over 300. I also think the inlet manifold and throttle body are very restrictive. I've heard of a few new products being developed in this area so it will be good to see what comes about.

It's great that we share these experiences, the conversions are still very young and look to becoming quite popular at the moment.

Couldn't agree more Wilson. It's funny because we are all hitting some of the same problems in these builds but that's the nature of the beast.

The fuel pump you have from Andy is definitely a wise purchase when hitting over 300. I also think the inlet manifold and throttle body are very restrictive. I've heard of a few new products being developed in this area so it will be good to see what comes about.

It's great that we share these experiences, the conversions are still very young and look to becoming quite popular at the moment.

I think each time Ste's done one, he's taken some learning from the last one. He's also developed stuff like the cooler kit.....

Last edited:
So I'll probably get raped by the forum police for asking this question. But what is my car worth?

Was going to forge it but now thinking of moving onto a new project. The only downside is the 80k on the clock but you all know what its got on it and also that its never wanted for anything, in fact just about everything that is a wear and tear item has been replaced within the last year. The car has had more spent on it than it cost new.

Vultures - Please don't start circling around for parts, if I put an add up it will go complete or not at all. :0)

Last edited: