New car challenge

I suspect I may part with the Clio this year. The issue is, what will replace it?

Here's the requirements:

- £10k budget. Basically want to spend no more than I'll get for the Clio, but know that that means add a couple of k on, hence c£10k!

- More comfortable (doing lots more v. long distance one day round trips and the Clio is a bit wearing for that sort of work, especially with the "firm" ride)

- RWD

- Poke on tap for when the mood takes

- Reasonable running costs (mpg, tax, insurance etc)

So far I've only come up with a 3L BM of some sort (1, 3 or Z4)

Anyone else able to come up with something interesting? Doesn't have to be new.

Last edited:
Alpina D3. 2L twin turbo diesel. 200bhp, over 400lb ft torque.

Exclusivity, better looking than standard 330d, very economical.

All round win.

An example

If you could budge on the RWD part there are quite a few, Golf GT TDI, Honda Civic 2.2CDTI, Seat Leon TDIs etc. etc. All with bags of torque and with remap will be pretty good even for a derv.

What's the reason for it needing to be RWD?

Bored of FWD. Besides, I'm not going to get a get a fwd chassis that's much if at all better than the Clio, so no point looking.

I want to get to grips with rwd next. :smile: I want to do skids.:wiz:

If you want cheap fun then MX-5 or 350z would be my choice of RWD cars at that price range.

Clk320 is a nice car, but if you wanna drive like a hooligan then it needs to be a bm! Once again, if you wanna give up rwd, Mondeo st220 is a cracking car and an awesome mile muncher!

1-series fits like a glove I can confirm. Missus went to try on a C30 and we were left disappointed tbh - not that comfortable and I thought the plastics seemed cheaper than I'd expect.

Nipped over to BM and by comparison the 1-series was in a different league. She's quite taken by the 1-series coupe. Might just be a matter of trying to find one at the right price. It's odd but to me it feels very much similar to the 197 in terms of seating position etc.

It's just that bit more properly setup for the driver. Lovely stuff. :smile:

Similar Thread Suggestions