Number plate lights not working

DS197

POTM Winner - June 2017
Paid Member
I spotted that neither of my number plate lights were working the other day so ordered LED replacement units which replace the standard bulb and bulb holder. Turns out they still don't work.

Checked the fuses under the secondary intake and replaced all the 10A ones anyway, nada. I've got a feeling its the wiring that goes from the bulb holders to the connector on the main loom. Has anyone come across this before?

I'm thinking of taking it to the garage tomorrow so that they can check if power is coming from the loom. Any advice/thoughts would be appreciated.

right then be best to trace where the loom goes as it may have pulled apart somewhere in the rear/boot area

right then be best to trace where the loom goes as it may have pulled apart somewhere in the rear/boot area
I had a look at the rear light loom on the nearside. I disconnected the connector that goes from both number plate lights to the main loom and reconnected it but there was no difference. I'll have the garage test the connectors that goes to each light holder and the connector that goes to the main light loom on the nearside. I'll also check behind the boot carpet on the side.

did you check the multi-plugs on the main fuse box/connection box under the air intake? this is the main connection between the multiplex system/body control ecu controlling all the various lights & functions

i tried looking for a wiring diagram on all the renault info i have but there was nothing! not even a schematic of which fuse does what which i find strange

did you check the multi-plugs on the main fuse box/connection box under the air intake? this is the main connection between the multiplex system/body control ecu controlling all the various lights & functions

i tried looking for a wiring diagram on all the renault info i have but there was nothing! not even a schematic of which fuse does what which i find strange
I did indeed this morning, made sure everything was connected up. I myself spent quite a bit of time looking for a diagram. I even went through the service manual and was surprised at the lack of information on the fuses. Hopefully i'll update this thread tomorrow with some good news :smile:

Reactions: sevenfourate
Cheap and cheerful update, it's fixed! Had a local auto electrician check both looms and they were fine. Had a look at the LED light units and the pins were beyond bent. Because of this they weren't making sufficient contact with the connectors for the number plate lights.

They can't be bent into shape either as they simply spring back to their original position. Put the old holders back in with 2 new halogen bulbs and they're working again. I've messaged the seller on eBay as they've essentially sent me £13 paperweights. Thanks @foxspeed for your advice :smile:

Reactions: LOCKE
Cheap and cheerful update, it's fixed! Had a local auto electrician check both looms and they were fine. Had a look at the LED light units and the pins were beyond bent. Because of this they weren't making sufficient contact with the connectors for the number plate lights.

They can't be bent into shape either as they simply spring back to their original position. Put the old holders back in with 2 new halogen bulbs and they're working again. I've messaged the seller on eBay as they've essentially sent me £13 paperweights. Thanks @foxspeed for your advice :smile:

glad its sorted and not too expensive :french: