Oil

Clio is displaying "Top up oil levels" or something to that description on dash when i turn her on

What oil do you guys recommend?

Thanks,
Ryan

Clio is displaying "Top up oil levels" or something to that description on dash when i turn her on

What oil do you guys recommend?

Thanks,
Ryan

Do you not regularly check your oil level? You really shouldn't be leaving it until the car tells you it needs topping up. What if a sensor or something went down and it didn't warn you?

My other worry is why is it low? I check mine every week however it's never needed any extra putting in.

Is it just me or does anyone else think the dipstick is next to useless? Recently changed the oil and could not clearly see the reading(5 litres came out and 5 went back in, thought it might of needed 5.5 but dont want to over fill it!) However when i start engine it says oil ok but as somebody mentioned dont like leaving it down to electronics!

(Sorry if ive hijacked this thread a little)

I've personally had no issues, pull it out wipe it off, push it back in pull it out and check it.

Just realised that you could apply the above to something else too! lol

Is it just me or does anyone else think the dipstick is next to useless? Recently changed the oil and could not clearly see the reading(5 litres came out and 5 went back in, thought it might of needed 5.5 but dont want to over fill it!) However when i start engine it says oil ok but as somebody mentioned dont like leaving it down to electronics!

(Sorry if ive hijacked this thread a little)

engine holds over 5ltrs....you should still be able to see the level on the dipstick!

engine holds over 5ltrs....you should still be able to see the level on the dipstick!

Tried a loads of times and everytime it was very difficult to tell as the whole stick was watery/clear coated. As it is dragged out around a bend i wonder if the oil is being spread across the stick(must be just me?)

Tried a loads of times and everytime it was very difficult to tell as the whole stick was watery/clear coated. As it is dragged out around a bend i wonder if the oil is being spread across the stick(must be just me?)

No, mines same.

Changed oil and loads came out (did'nt measure it) and 5 and a bit litres went in but it does not read well on the stick.

It did'nt before i changed it and i added some to it to be sure. when it's new oil i found it difficult to read too.

No, mines same.

Changed oil and loads came out (did'nt measure it) and 5 and a bit litres went in but it does not read well on the stick.

It did'nt before i changed it and i added some to it to be sure. when it's new oil i found it difficult to read too.

Oh good at least its not just me, crap design imo. Im going to be paronoid now!

This will sound bad but when I was quite low and my oil hadn't been delivered that I'd ordered I tied myself over with a lt of oil from halfords (fully synth) and my car drove smoother on it then the elf it was replaced with, also mpg went up.

I think it was some sort of placebo effect mate, no way would a litre of different oil make a noticeable difference to how your car ran.

Well it was pretty low as the oil ended up taking 3 weeks to get to me. Might have just been a case of fresh oil in the system. It was more the mpg that stunned me :smile: