Please help! ball joint/ driveshaft

Right, someone thats a mechanic! I could do with some information about the lower ball joint/ driveshaft problem I'm having.

My car is currently in the garage because it was pulling to the left when on the road. The garage has said that my lower ball joint needs to be replaced at first then when i was due to pick it up they then said an abs sensor is seized too (which i had NO light on the dash before i took it into them). Is there anyway that upon removing the sensor that the driveshaft would get damaged? is it even attached? Im told the treads have been stripped when removing the abs sensor so i now require a new driveshaft? To me (non mechanic) this seems like they have made a f**k up and trying to give me the bill!

any help/info would be much appreciated!

Not to sure on the 197 as haven't done one but they most likely removed the driveshaft from the hub to fit the ball joint, and abs sensors do seize in on most cars and they are extremely annoying to get out so most of the time they do break when trying to remove it, however they shouldn't of damaged the driveshaft.. My guess is they've tried drilling the abs sensor out or something similar and have damaged the abs ring on the driveshaft while doing this. To be honest you shouldn't need to remove the abs sensor anyway, sometimes it can help to remove it as it makes things less awkward but it's not compulsory, but other than that there isn't really anyway the driveshaft can get damaged. Are you sure there saying you need a new driveshaft and not just the sensor?

The only problems you ever get with driveshafts is ether play in the cv joints or the abs ring gets corroded or breaks and stops picking up a signal from the abs sensor

Last edited:
Right ok thanks for the reply!

if the abs ring was corroded.. would i have got a warning light on my dash?

Last edited:
Yeh your abs light would come on basically because the sensor wouldn't be reading right, but with the year of the car I doubt it would be corroded, and if the garage are saying the threads are gone on the driveshaft I don't know how they've done that unless they mean the threads for the bolt that holds the abs sensor in?

the abs ring is on the end of the wheel bearing iirc...

can they not helicoil the stripped hole (I assume they are meaning the abs sensor that bolts on to the front hub)

The ABS sensor screws into the bottom ball joint hub. There is a picture of a new one on £280 price check thread a few places below this thread. Did you have a new hub assembly fitted, or a new ball joint pressed into the old hub ? Either way, they would have had to unscrew it. If it helps, I have kept the old hub assembly removed from my car. Where the ABS screws in, is perfect, obviously the ball joint is knackered. I only live in Callington, yours if you need it !

Yeh your abs light would come on basically because the sensor wouldn't be reading right, but with the year of the car I doubt it would be corroded, and if the garage are saying the threads are gone on the driveshaft I don't know how they've done that unless they mean the threads for the bolt that holds the abs sensor in?
I had no light on the dash so thats why i was surprised when they said it was seized. yeah i asked that and they said that it was removing the sensor so must be the bolt that holds the sensor in.

The ABS sensor screws into the bottom ball joint hub. There is a picture of a new one on £280 price check thread a few places below this thread. Did you have a new hub assembly fitted, or a new ball joint pressed into the old hub ? Either way, they would have had to unscrew it. If it helps, I have kept the old hub assembly removed from my car. Where the ABS screws in, is perfect, obviously the ball joint is knackered. I only live in Callington, yours if you need it !

Yes I'm needing a new hub too so they're saying. Thanks a lot mate I will bare that in mind.

Your abs light wouldn't be on anyway, the actual sensor it's self is alright and is working fine but where they are mounted into the hub they seize in and are a pain to get out, and can be easily broken!

Last edited:
Your abs light wouldn't be on anyway, the actual sensor it's self is alright and is working fine but where they are mounted into the hub they seize in and are a pain to get out, and can be easily broken!

Ah right yeah I understand now haha thanks