Selling a car with a private plate...

I know if i want to sell the car with the original plate on, i need to pay £105 and remove the plate and put it on retention....

But what happens if i want the plate to go with the car? Do i need to change details on any certificates to say the new owner is the new owner of the plate?

if you are selling the plate with the car, you do nothing more than changing the V5 over to the new owner, the registration mark will go with the vehicle as it is already assigned to that vehicle.

if your keeping it then do it asap.

It can be a nightmare it its due mot/tax.

just to factor in to your costs, if you were to transfer the plate directly to another car, and no need to hold it on retention for any time period, they only charge £80.
the additional £25 charge is only if you wish to remain the keeper for up to 12 months without it being assigned to a vehicle.

Long as it's on the V5 when u sell it then u want need to do anything. Putting it on retention is a pain in the arse. I had to do that with mine when I traded my 133 in all the local dvla offices have closed down now so u have to do it by post

Just too say that they are now considering opening up the local offices again it's that much trouble.

not all local offices are shut down, my local one is still open and has a really helpful team.
over the years ive probably swapped/changed and removed over plated through them over 20 times, and its always been an effortless experience.

I stand corrected, and now disappointed aswell... my local office has since shut down as I just checked.
it was no more than 2 months back that I last used them :worried: