Speeding in Italy - points on licence legit?

Hi

Wondering if anyone has had a similar situation with speeding abroad.

It's taken over 6 months but last week I received a speeding fine from the Italian authorities apparently clocking me at 56mph while I was there last summer in a hire car.
The thing is, there's a 160EU or so fine, as well as 3points, for which I have to send my license off to them for!

This does not sound right to put points on my UK license for speeding abroad. On forums, there's only talk of fines not points for foreign speeding.

Has anyone else had this?

Cheers. Martin.

At present, it is hard for countries to track down foreign drivers who break the rules as information isn't shared.
But for the first time, each EU country will have a designated 'national contact point' in which prosecuting authorities will be able to access a database to trace foreign drivers.
A suspected offender will then receive a letter from the authorities in the country where the offence took place, to warn of the legal consequences if the fine isn't paid.
British officials will be able to use the new law to pursue foreign motorists who commit offences in Britain, while foreign authorities will be able to do the same to UK offenders
The level of fines applicable is the same as for drivers of cars registered in the country where the offence is committed.
Next year the EC is also reviewing whether to 'harmonise penalty points' under the same legislation.

Read more: http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...odge-French-speeding-fines.html#ixzz3Y9zmbb45
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Dated February 2015... So it doesn't look like its legislation yet, the fine you'll probably have to pay! I'd contact citizens advice if you're unsure

Thanks.
I think you're right; the fine sure I'm expecting to pay and I understand they pursue these, but it looks like the points are invalid.
Again, no mention of this happening to anyone if you pay the fine.