Speeding

Doesn't apply to Scotland :kilt:

I really resent the way they talk about speeding and dangerous driving like they're one and the same. I'll readily admit to having bombed home at 80-90mph as we have some great roads here, but it's about context. On a dry empty road it's fine but not when it's raining etc or through a built-up area etc.
Not to mention the fact that speed limits were introduced when the regulation stopping distances were measured by cars with drum brakes all round.

In 2010 I was caught doing around 100mph on a French motorway. I was pulled over, and fined €40 which I had to pay on the spot. The French officer couldn't have been nicer. I apologised and told him I would watch my speed. He laughed and replied "you can go as fast as you like but if we catch you again it'll cost you another €40". :french:

should be like in Germany..how many fatalities do you hear about from there??i suggest people watch the last Grand Tour..good point they have...

Reactions: jasonlovesfrench
The speed limits need seriously reviewing.

What gets me is you never hear of speed limits getting raised, but particularly in suffolk they seem to be lowering them left right and centre. Village near me which is a 30 - about 2 miles long, all the houses are set back and have plenty of vision to see left and right, no schools either. Should be a 40 and would be anywhere else in the country. Plenty of places for sneaky speed vans to hide also....

The thing is you have to look at speed limits form a road safety point re the biggest numpty on the road peoples is driving ability.Is very varied from fair to WTF I see it everyday the driving test is way to easily to be fair so before they raise the speed limit can we raise people's driving abilitys first

Last edited:
Reactions: Foxspeed
It's just another way of bringing in revenue. Motorists are such easy targets.

The % of income could be confusing. I know someone who's basic is 16k but took home 120k with commission, so what would he pay? £2500 or £369, he's a self employed Mortgage advisor.

The limits should be raised. Apparently roads are becoming safer, smart motorways for example, but the limits are staying the same. Cars are safer, faster, better braking systems, improved steering so should be set accordingly. In towns and villages or built up areas, then fair enough, during busy periods, I don't get the chance to get out of 2nd anyway, but 3/4 lane motorways?? Or time them, between 10pm-6pm, go nuts lol. I've been on the Autobahn, even though some parts aren't set to a limit, there's still people just sitting at 70-80. It's nice to be giving a choice and not told what to do. Telling me I can and can't do brings out my rebellious side :wink: Tell me not to push the button.............I'm pushing the button

It's just another way of bringing in revenue. Motorists are such easy targets.

The % of income could be confusing. I know someone who's basic is 16k but took home 120k with commission, so what would he pay? £2500 or £369, he's a self employed Mortgage advisor.

The limits should be raised. Apparently roads are becoming safer, smart motorways for example, but the limits are staying the same. Cars are safer, faster, better braking systems, improved steering so should be set accordingly. In towns and villages or built up areas, then fair enough, during busy periods, I don't get the chance to get out of 2nd anyway, but 3/4 lane motorways?? Or time them, between 10pm-6pm, go nuts lol. I've been on the Autobahn, even though some parts aren't set to a limit, there's still people just sitting at 70-80. It's nice to be giving a choice and not told what to do. Telling me I can and can't do brings out my rebellious side :wink: Tell me not to push the button.............I'm pushing the button
Bloody well said sir

I agree that modern cars are better all round and therefore 'safer'. Unfortunately though, attitudes to driving by a certain percentage of the population haven't changed and never will - you still get absolute morons behind the wheel every single day. It's the brain dead idiots that drive these modern cars that make the roads unsafe.

I honestly think we need to be held by the hand when it comes to speed limits, because driving standards are so poor, in my opinion. I know this only applies to a minority of the drivers on the roads, but it's the minority that cause fatal accidents. For example, so many people still don't grasp that it's illegal to use a mobile phone when driving, so I really don't think they'd cope too well being given higher speed limits.

I'm sure the UK government have devoted plenty of time and research into the speed limits, and they have stayed the same, or decreased, for valid reasons. I agree that speed cameras can be a cash cow for the authorities, but I don't think that's the reason that speed limits haven't been relaxed over the years.

I think peoples driving had gotten worse with all the aids these days- had a car with bloody hill side assist i mean WTF???
my partner has a jeep with cameras all round think i got half a mile down the road where i suddenly thought bloody hell i dont think ive looked at the road once just screens and sensors.
also commute on a vespa in London and the amount of people who day dream and sit on their phones is crazy- they forgot they are driving a car!!!

but yes would be nice for example from 10pm to 7am to remove the speed limit and each to their own.
(safer for hooligans to steal a car and stay on the motorway then it is going 60mph down the high street).

Reactions: Foxspeed
Unless you improve the driving skills and motorway lane discipline of 60% of the UK drivers then leave the Speeds as they are.I drive around 2k a week the driving standards in this country are S##T no planning when entering or leaving motorways the list is endless sorry rant over

Reactions: Jimmy
to try and help the matter i always try and sit on the most left lane unless overtaking- Hate lane hoggers!!!!

and to be fair most people these days sit on 80 MPH anyway so maybe government thinking if you put it on 80 people will start doing 90mph.

Unless you improve the driving skills and motorway lane discipline of 60% of the UK drivers then leave the Speeds as they are.I drive around 2k a week the driving standards in this country are S##T no planning when entering or leaving motorways the list is endless sorry rant over

ohhh dont get me on about cars joining a motorway!!! they have right of way dont you know lol

Reactions: nutnutwelshman