Startup whining...common on 200?

Hi all,

Really pleased with the 200 having had it for a few weeks now. There is however a question which has been nagging me every time I start the car from cold. From the moment the car starts there is a whining sound from the engine compartment, the best way to describe it would be similar to an over tightened Cambelt (for any of you who had toothed belt supercharger conversions on VWs G Ladars you will know the sound). It lasts about 20 seconds before going away but it is very audible. I have tried starting with the air con bowing but this has no effect on the whining sound. When the car is warm you can here it when the window is down but obviously not as prominent as from when cold. It it revs related.

Am I looking into this too much or "do they all do it"? Warranty runs out in May so if it is an issue I will get t looked at during the service.

Cheers
TW

Depends how loud it is, I've never had any noise I've heard over the engine but if I turn the ignition on you hear what can only be described as R2D2 under the bonnet.

Normal for a whining noise on start up on these engines from cold. This is normally the dephaser. Once the oil has been pumped around it goes.