Stop Start Button

...we were driving along the other day and my partner asked what would happen if the Start Stop button was pressed whilst driving along....at the time we were having a sprited drive along some A/B roads...so we didn't try it......but, what would happen? Is there a safety mechanism? Seems a bit mad if the engine would just shut down....all sorts of implications.

...I thought that would be the case.....may be its my age, but there is no way I was going to try it!

All good, but if you have friends in the car who think its funny to press it when stopped and you don't notice is not good either :smiley:

when you think about it....its only like taking the ignition key out....it will switch it off !

All good, but if you have friends in the car who think its funny to press it when stopped and you don't notice is not good either :smiley:

Had a few like that, they walked home, all safety, always wondered why you can't start the car with boot open? :S

My main concern would be the steering lock coming on if you tried to turn to avoid anything. Also wouldn't the servo assistance in the brakes stop working with no power. Basically I think you will end up hitting something if it was at any serious speed i.e. not 5mph lol!

5th gear did a test with VBH taking the keys out at 50mph and it wouldn't have ended well in the real world!

The steering lock doesn't come on until you open the drivers door doesn't it? Sometimes when the card isn't near the car or it can't detect it, it says push the button twice.

Ok, so since there's some adventurous people out there - has anyone tried hitting the start button in-gear without the clutch engaged? If so, what happens?

I have done it in gear with the clutch pedal depressed, I have always been in the habit of starting the car that way, dunno why. But in the Clio it tells you to 'please select neutral' so I would imagine it would do the same if the clutch was engaged an in gear...