Suspension change all round...how long?

Assuming all necessary tools are to hand, with practice how long would it take to change springs and dampers on all four corners?

Really?

Any special tools required like spring compressors?

Would suspension from a 200 Cup be a straight replacement on my non-cup? Or are there differing bolt spacings etc. anywhere?

Really?

Any special tools required like spring compressors?

Would suspension from a 200 Cup be a straight replacement on my non-cup? Or are there differing bolt spacings etc. anywhere?

If you haven't done it before maybe abit longer then, give yourself say an hour longer if it's your first go.

Spring compressors are needed for the front struts. The rears are easy, just a case of jacking the car up and undoing the bolts on the dampers (if replacing them too, top nut aswell. But do the bottom nuts at the same time and the springs will drop out :smile: just put something underneath the hub so that the axle doesn't drop too much and shear the brake lines.

The fronts are just as easy, except you take the whole unit out instead. Then seperate the springs later, some advice with compressors. Don't go mad tightening them up, get them at the least tension you can get away with, less dangerous that way. Believe me, a coil spring halfway down the road because the compressor slips, is NOT fun!

The garage I get all the work done on the 200 took just over 3 hours. Thats including geometry setup though.

I think you might need to get the 200 Cup dampers, springs and top mounts to change it all over. Its rumored the FF and Cup have different top mounts?

just make sure the suspension is from the same year as your car.

as there is the different top mount issue, but i think that only effected later cars. needs checking first tho!

I did mine on my own and it took me a full day, I've done spring changes before aswell....the 197 was just a complete bitch of a job! The shocks don't just pull out after everything is unbolted because the wishbone hits the subframe. Have to either unbolt the hub and pull that out with the shock or lower the subframe.

The garage I get all the work done on the 200 took just over 3 hours. Thats including geometry setup though.

I think you might need to get the 200 Cup dampers, springs and top mounts to change it all over. Its rumored the FF and Cup have different top mounts?

i removed the FF suspension and replaced with brand new cup dampers with new top mounts and Eibach springs and the topmounts were the same

it was 'old leg out, new leg in' scenario

:smile:

i removed the FF suspension and replaced with brand new cup dampers with new top mounts and Eibach springs and the topmounts were the same

it was 'old leg out, new leg in' scenario

:smile:

I thought they were the same. Just read yesterday they were different.

can some one please clarify how to get the front shocks out? I'm trying to install coil overs but not sure if they simply pop out the top or not???

PM me PLEASE !!

Yep, thats what I did (See my guide in the how to section) but others have managed to do it other ways. Some say the shocks pull straight out after undoing all the shock bolts, some choose to remove the hub/shock assembly.

Ok, thanks for replies.

Doesn't seem as straightforward as I'd hoped for. If I go down this route I'll get Rentech to do it the first time so I can see what's what.

You changing to cup suspension mark? How come?

Not a permanent change, no.

I've just been thinking about having a set of Cup springs and dampers to swap over to at each trackday hence my wondering how long it might take.

Having said that, I'm at a Cliosport trackday on 7th June so there'll be plenty of chances to see if the Cup setup makes any real difference on track.

I doubt it will, it's more about the feel I think. Hoping to blag a drive in someone's Cup specced 200 so I can see back to back if swapping over would be worthwhile.

Definitely not a job to do before and after every trackday, if thats what you're after look towards adjustable coilovers

Definitely not a job to do before and after every trackday, if thats what you're after look towards adjustable coilovers

I would have thought this also.

I got fed up changing wheels before and after every track day. This, would be a lot of effort.