Was going to happen!

jakehewitt

North East Rep
Just came in from work and found a letter from the Cumbrian police department saying that they have caught me speeding, 3 points and £60 and this was done after i owned the car in my first week!

Main concern is insurance, how much does it affect it by? Ill have my 3 years ncb next renewal and it is my first offense or does that not matter?

Looks like my streak of a clean license has finally gone. :worried:

Differs wildly like anything insurance related given the mickey mouse method of quotation they appear to use.

Probably won't have a dramatic effect though.

I hope my 'luck' never runs out.

Have you checked the photo evidence, and have you got another page giving you a option to apply for the course?

How old are you?

One speeding offence/3 points does not allways effect insurance but make sure you declare it come renewal time.

Have you checked the photo evidence, and have you got another page giving you a option to apply for the course?

Already used it 2 years ago
Partly the reason why i had a clean license haha

There is no photograph with it nor a website to log on to to get it :S

Already used it 2 years ago
Partly the reason why i had a clean license haha

There is no photograph with it nor a website to log on to to get it :S

Unlucky mate :worried: i attended one of those **** courses a couple of months ago, still drive the same..

How old are you?

One speeding offence/3 points does not allways effect insurance but make sure you declare it come renewal time.

Im 21, 22 when renewal comes, i will declare it got no troubles was just curious

Also i thought tickets are supposed to come to you withing 2 weeks this one took 2 months!

Oh, I've just received 3 (my scrapped van) and on each one it says they have photographic evidence to back it up and to go to a website

I'm quite sure they only have two weeks to get the NIP out to you. If it was two months since they caught you I think they have missed their chance and you should get away with it. Do some more research online. Have a look on pepipoo and on pistonheads on the Speed, Plod and Law section.

I'm quite sure they only have two weeks to get the NIP out to you. If it was two months since they caught you I think they have missed their chance and you should get away with it. Do some more research online. Have a look on pepipoo and on pistonheads on the Speed, Plod and Law section.

Yeah i thought that too

Going to do some research , get photos and info iv got 28 days till i need to reply so plenty of time to double check stuff

Yeah i thought that too

Going to do some research , get photos and info iv got 28 days till i need to reply so plenty of time to double check stuff

If it happened in your first week of ownership you'd not be on dvla as owner.

The paperwork would have gone to old owner, he'd have said was'nt him and then starts the trail to find you, when new details are with dvla they'll chase you.

So long as the NIP went to old owner within the two weeks you'll not get off from it.

Get over to the Pelipoo website, ran by solicitors and ex-bobbies. :wink:

Like Ross said, they only have two weeks from date of alleged offence to get the NIP to you. Also, if you wanted to be clever you could argue that you haven't been cautioned by a Police officer so how can you be prosecuted!?! It's a grey area in the law, a few people have argued it and won but to be honest it's cheaper to pay the fine than a solicitor hahaha!!! Something about "the right to remain silent" when you are cautioned before prosecution but you have not be given this right with a NIP... So you can (in theory) tell them who was driving as you are obliged to under The Road Traffic Act but you can (if you're brave) tell them that you're not willing to incriminate yourself and so the information you've provided cannot be used against you in a prosecution.

A biker tried it a few years back and in the end they dropped it. He clearly had more money than sense though. Like I say, cheaper to pay the fine... But if it's taken them more than two weeks to contact you then it might be worth making a few phone calls about it.

*EDIT*

Good point Wayne. :smile:

If it happened in your first week of ownership you'd not be on dvla as owner.

The paperwork would have gone to old owner, he'd have said was'nt him and then starts the trail to find you, when new details are with dvla they'll chase you.

So long as the NIP went to old owner within the two weeks you'll not get off from it.

Yeah i know, only just thought of that also for future reference they have 14 days to notify you unless, the car has changed owners or the owner of the car was not the driver

Ah well, still want to see the photo like, not going to contest it as i know i was over the limit i dont think i was going as fast as they say i was going

The 14 day rule for the NIP only applies if you a the registered keeper. Seems you were not at the time so they are given a "reasonable time" to serve notice on the driver/keeper.
3 points wont affect your Insurance at all but dont be tempted not to tell them or they will drop you like a hot potato come the day of a claim

They have 2 weeks to ISSUE the NIP. Not 2 weeks to get it to you. That's just the normal time frame.
Check the date of the offence against the date the NIP was issued. If those 2 dates are within 14 days of each other then it'll stick.

I only learnt that myself recently.

Thats a bit of a downer mate!2mth after the offence you would think nothing was going to happen.Dont think 3points will make a big difference to your insurance.

Thats a bit of a downer mate!2mth after the offence you would think nothing was going to happen.Dont think 3points will make a big difference to your insurance.

Didn't see the date at first, thought it was from the hartside run, would have got all of us then haha!