Well... It wont sell so why not track it?

So.. The Clio wont sell.. I've decided until it goes to do a few track days in it.. First one is 14th October.. I have carbone lorraine pads which I never used.. They'll be going in.. This with the Motul fluid and the braided lines I previously put on the car I'm expecting to have a good time..

Anyone any comments on if anything needs checked before the track day?

I know the basics.. Oil, Brakes, Tyres, Coolant.. getting a helmet soon.. anything I missed?

I must have done a 100 trackdays over the past few years. It sounds like you've covered all the basics there. Don't forget to bring extra fuel or be prepared to leave at lunch the get it (not idea when the days are getting short) as you will use more than you think you will and you don't want to be running with a full tank as it may spill on tight hard cornering. Also some places insist on long sleeve tops so bring one no matter the weather.

An extra set of wheels and tyres is always nice to have, I had a track car and it ate front tyres. I easily got through two tyres each trackday to the point where they were totally illegal and you really wouldn't want stopped.

New pads need to be bedded in so don't fit then just before you go. Top up all your fluids as well, inc screen wash. Bring some oil and check after each session as the hard cornering may force the oil to be use a bit when it usually wouldn't normally.

Turn the air bag off to (if you can) as you really don't want it going off if you wearing a helmet should the worst happen.

I'm sure I've forgot something but it will come to me.

Cheers Paddy good advice there! sadly don't have a spare set of tyres so will keep an eye on them whilst on track :worried:

What pressures do you use on the Clio?

Haven't done one in the Clio yet (only have it 4 weeks). I had a track car until about 3 months ago. Just noticed that your in NI so I assume you'll be going to Kirkistown. If so you'll really need to keep an eye on that front passenger side tyre as K'town is all right handers and it takes a real beating.

Also listen to Keith as he really knows what he's doing and can drive like most can only dream off!! And if you ask nicely he'll go with you in your car for a few laps to give you a few pointers.

I know you say you've got Motul brake fluid but you don't say what Dot it is. If it's not Dot 5.1 then it's worth changing it again as there are two massive stops at K'town which can easily cook normal fluid and brakes. Which if it happens will end your day early. There's nothing worse than heading into the hairpin at 120+ mph and finding you've got no brakes, just ask the guy who ended up in the field across the road in his M3 CSL!

I only live 5 miles from K'town so I might take a run out and say hello though my brother's wedding is the day before so I may be a touch hung over.

Trackskills have an air compressor on site that's free to use so you can play with pressures if you need to.

Last edited:
Make sure you have something to check tyres pressures and ideally a pump, you want to add air if you're using road tyres.

The stuff with the brakes is great though, if you can stop you'll do ok :smile:

cheers paddy pop across :smile: its Motul RBF 600 dot 4 the spec says (The very high boiling point (312°C / 593°F) of this brake fluid is better than conventional DOT 5.1 brake fluids and enables effective braking even under extreme conditions.) should I still change it? also thanks for all the tips and its Kirky yes.. first time doing a track day so I'm quite excited!

Ya if I can stop I should be OK gumpy! :tongueout:

Last edited:
The brake fluid you have sounds good. It's the standard Dot 4 stuff that really struggles and if you boil it then your days over as the brakes won't come back and they'll need bled at the very least.

Kirky is deceptively difficult. Looks so simple yet is quite tricky to master. You really need to hammer the kerbs at the chicane too and you need huge balls to go flat through Debtors dip that first time as the speed is so high.

Edit: nearly forgot. A fire extinguisher is always reassuring when it's at hand.

Last edited:
Cheers Paddy I'll see if I can get a fire extinguisher never thought of that :smile:

Yeah I hear Debtors is special :smile:

Does Kirky require full face helmets or is a scooter helmet ok do you know?

I did my first trackday there in a £20 open face Lidl special lid. No questions asked. I now wear a £600 Shark Race R Pro (though I also have a bike and that the main reason for the Shark). Buy the best you can afford is my advice. OMP do some nice open face lids for around £150.

Anything with the gold sticker on the back is fine.

As Paddy rightly mentions you will use more fuel than you think. Be sure not to run to low either, its all very well thinking you can get a fast lap with an egg cup full but you run the risk of fuel surge.. Best to leave at least a qtr tank at minimum.

Anyone know of a cheap track camera I could fit? Wouldn't mind recording what way I drive and looking to review it to see where it can be improved.

got a lid thats approved for road use :smiley:

If you have an IPhone, down load Harry's lap timer and this has all sorts of things like speed, g force, lap times and video etc. I use it st all my trackdays and ring trips.

If you have an IPhone, down load Harry's lap timer and this has all sorts of things like speed, g force, lap times and video etc. I use it st all my trackdays and ring trips.

I'm a beta tester and user for HLT Pro, its an excellent bit of kit.

You can get apple approved obd reader or i've jailbroken my iphone to open bluetooth to none apple signed obd reader so i can overlay vehicle data onto the video.

Thats cool guys.. Sadly I didn't make it to the track day.. pure and simply because I'm a prat and had a little accident in the 350z..

To much power and not enough experience usually means hitting something - (sadly the massive 295 rear tyres didn't help with it being so cold either.. but I'm making excuses...)

only a bit of front right damage..

photo%2520%252811%2529.png

So far parts bill equals £1,200 although thats for everything that even has a hint of a crack in it. I'll need a new wheel as well but I've also got a few plans now its damaged - sadly I cannot afford a supercharger/turbo charger yet as the £1,200 on parts and £450 on paint has taken a major dent out of my funds for those plans but it'll look good and have to wait until next year to be SC'ed.

I'll most likely start a thread from start to finish about the 350z its only been a week and I've all the parts en route! going fast :smiley:

Ouch... Sorry to hear that, at least your ok and fair play for admitting it was your fault. Lesser people would shy away from that.

Hope you get it sorted.