Yiannis' Albi Blue R27 - Toning down...

Cool...also one guy from Austria in the Elise 8)

Would love to do a trip like that next Summer ! 197.net meeting in the mountains ??? :tongueout:roud: hehe

Cheers for the comments guys:smile:

Some great pics, love the one with the renault turbo :thumbup:

It is a stunner right? We bumped into it while crossing france. The owner on his fifties, going for a run with other classics. Good stuff.

Cool...also one guy from Austria in the Elise 8)

Would love to do a trip like that next Summer ! 197.net meeting in the mountains ??? :tongueout:roud: hehe

Both elise and exige from Austria mate:smile:
Where do I sign for the 197.net mountain meeting???:smile:

Fantastic. Brought back memories of my week long trip around Europe this time last year! (So much so, I checked out the thread again lol)

well it doesn't get much better than that mate,your car looks amazing,sorry for not reading right through your thread but what coilies did you go for?

Well, the time has come for my car to develop the so known steering rack problem. Play in the steering and it clongs when turn the steering wheel while stationary. My mechanic after thoroughly checking everything diagnosed a fault in the rack. Now that is a big job, I believe around £250 for the rack and about the same for labour.

Luckily I've got extended warranty, we already let them know (so far they have been good as gold touch wood) and they are sending an independent mechanic to check it out himself. Hopefully there shouldn't be any issue...

Well, the time has come for my car to develop the so known steering rack problem. Play in the steering and it clongs when turn the steering wheel while stationary. My mechanic after thoroughly checking everything diagnosed a fault in the rack. Now that is a big job, I believe around £250 for the rack and about the same for labour.

Luckily I've got extended warranty, we already let them know (so far they have been good as gold touch wood) and they are sending an independent mechanic to check it out himself. Hopefully there shouldn't be any issue...

good luck mate!hope it gets sorted for you,theres been a fair few had probs with there steering rack.

Hope you get it sorted mate. I've noticed mine knock slightly but not all the time but its got more noticeable after fitting spacer recently :/

Happy days, the mechanic turned up and he did confirm it's the steering rack, the job got authorised and the car is booked for Tuesday for a new rack! The down side is that the guys from the extended warranty are going to provide the part so my plans for fitting the quicker 200 rack have ruined:worried:

Still...no complains. Thicker ARB is going to be fitted as well (me paying for that obviously:smile:

Happy days, the mechanic turned up and he did confirm it's the steering rack, the job got authorised and the car is booked for Tuesday for a new rack! The down side is that the guys from the extended warranty are going to provide the part so my plans for fitting the quicker 200 rack have ruined:worried:

Still...no complains. Thicker ARB is going to be fitted as well (me paying for that obviously:smile:

Cool. I'm sure that I read on here someone fitted the thinker ARB and the car was a big after it?

Well, ralphyBMW fitted the cup racer one with stock suspension and he reported huge understeer, Raptor did the same with KW3s and he was lapping 2 seconds faster.

Either way I'm not willing to mess about with these things matey because if it doesn't work, it will cost me loads to reverse it back to normal. I'll go with what Renault did instead and I'll fit the thicker ARB from the 200 cup chassis (not the cup racer). It can't go wrong with that I suppose.

Well, ralphyBMW fitted the cup racer one with stock suspension and he reported huge understeer, Raptor did the same with KW3s and he was lapping 2 seconds faster.

Either way I'm not willing to mess about with these things matey because if it doesn't work, it will cost me loads to reverse it back to normal. I'll go with what Renault did instead and I'll fit the thicker ARB from the 200 cup chassis (not the cup racer). It can't go wrong with that I suppose.

Yep, 200 and not cup racer seems a good compromise.....

Update, my mechanic stripped out the car to fit the rack that the extended warranty people sent to us and guess what...it wouldn't fit because it wasn't from a clio mk3 RS. Their supplier couldn't provide us with the right one and after a bit of a moan they authorised my mechanic to order a new one from the dealer.

So the quick 200 cup rack was ordered (same price anyway, £388+VAT) and fitted alongside the ARB. Picked up the car today and wow!! What a difference! And not because of the new combo but mainly because my rack was gradually becoming worse and I got used to it, so now that the new one is on I actually noticed a huge difference.

The steering is now stiffer than before and I can also tell that the rack is quicker which is great stuff. 7% may not sound a lot but it is indeed noticeable.

I didn't have the chance to test the car yet but I will do and report back.

One thing is for sure...get the extended warranty! Good as gold!

Last edited:
I'm just about to get the same done to my r27. Did it have a loudish knock going from lock to lock? 200 cup rack is £250 inc vat and delivery from Karl on here.

I'm just about to get the same done to my r27. Did it have a loudish knock going from lock to lock? 200 cup rack is £250 inc vat and delivery from Karl on here.

I wouldn't get a knock from lock to lock but play when turn the steering right-left accompanied by a clong sound. Well I don't know how Karl can provide the part so cheap tbh but make sure it comes with track rods and ends. I called Karl but he was off this week, I spoke to a colleague of his for a price and he actually quoted me a 10% off the full price which is not £250. I couldn't wait for Karl to come back from holidays and I wasn't paying anyway so no hard done:smile:

Make sure you go for the quicker rack mate!

Last edited:
That's the thing can't tell if it's the rack itself or the column further up. Mine makes same noise when it goes lock to lock stationery and moving. Horrible noise.

Yeh I'll defo be fitting the 200 cup rack.

Oh and it was wests Renault on cs.net that price was from.