You guys think you have problems..

..with Renault and the warranty.

The girlfriends Smart car has 19,000 mile on it. The aux belt has snapped. This caused the engine overheat light to come on (no temperature unit just an overheat light and by then its too late!). When it snapped it took out a load of sensors..

The Auxbelt is also used to start the car... as the alternator reverses polarity then flicks back to charge the battery...

The car is 3.5 years old and we're expected to pay the full price.. Even though the fault is that the alternator brackets are faulty/not fit for purpose.

If you good "Smart fortwo belt failure" it comes up with her model (MHD) and engine size for the first result.. seems like its a common issue but Smart have not recalled the cars for the change grrr :worried:

Anyway - at least Renault entertain the idea of giving you a helping hand with the bill or pay outright.. Smart/Mercedes wouldn't even entertain the idea! *grumble*

oh well!

Yup micro hybrid drive...

Maybe ugly but great fun to drive.. You don't need to lift the accelerator and turn in is sharp no matter what Jeremy Clarkson says!

My mrs also has a MHD. Had it since August 2012 from brand new and the service light came on last month, shes only done 2200 miles lol.

There fun to drive but im really not a fan of them, the suspension is non-existant.

My mrs also has a MHD. Had it since August 2012 from brand new and the service light came on last month, shes only done 2200 miles lol.

There fun to drive but im really not a fan of them, the suspension is non-existant.

best get the aux belt/brackets sorted whilst its in for service then :blowup:

Merc are $hite full stop. Sister had some SLK amg thing and it was a bag of wank, spent more time at merc than on her drive and merc didn't want to know just the usual it will be ok this time.

She changed to a rs4 and again had boat load of issues and again the dealers were wank.

Her M3 didn't get many miles on but said the dealer was still a knob.

All company cars tho, she has since left and drives a Citroen which again couldn't give a toss.

Better the devil you know me thinks. However regardless you are only ever as happy as the dealers make you.

To be fair to Smart, if the warranty period is 3 years and the car is over that then where is the issue?

What date was it registered? The service light comes on every 365 days you see a -00 on the dash indicating how many days "out of service" it is.

Merc now check the belt/bracket every 10,000mls apparently (or whenever its serviced - whatever comes first.

The girlfriend also said there's two types of spanner light. One has one spanner which means you need a service and two means something is seriously wrong.

Also a tip is check the alt belt (on the right hand side of the engine if you're standing looking at it from the back of the car. You can also see it from under the car. If it looks frayed at all take it back and ask for it to be changed!!

deadmau5 - we're going to write to them and highlight the issues that are also listed online but we need the car back - I'm driving Jemma to work in the mornings and collecting her in the afternoon. In 4 working days I've spent about £120 in petrol! Would have been one tank for her (and a tank costs £40..) gutted to say the least.

i think what adam was trying to say is we moan about renault issues even thou its quite easy to get contributions after warrenty runs out, where as other manufactureres basicallt tell you to get stuffed

And they say you get what you pay for. We all moan about Reno but I think there are much worse manufactures out there