197 vs 200

I was in the market for a 197/200 a couple of months ago. 200 is a better car full stop. Quicker rack, (slightly) revised suspension, mid range torque engine, better gearbox, beeping dashboard lol, RS monitor, different front looks (beauty is always subjective) and of course its newer so u'd have warranty and no rattling!

BUT, do all those differences justify about 5k on top? that's the question. Not in my opinion that's why I ended up buying a 197 R27. I love its looks (don't like 200 front personally), loads of bits and pieces, recaros and extras (don't go for a cup if you are going to use the car every day, its too poor), low mileage, extended warranty and I saved approximately 5k. that's more that enough to fit a KW V3 and the 200 cup rack and I'd stil have 3k in the draw. Don't care about the longer 6th, i very rarely do motorways and personally I couldn't care less for the yellow tachy and RS monitor.

Basically it's up to what you want. As I said it's a clear fact that 200 is better than 197 but is it worth the extra money? Obviously if you can afford it and you like the looks go for it! If not and you decide to go for a 3-4 years old 197 be prepared for some rattling concerts:wink: either or u r gonna love it! Hope that helps!

Id defiantly have the 200 over 197, but I couldn't afford a 200 so a 197 isn't a bad choice far from it and I love it!
Rattles lol! Try coming from a 106, the 197 feels as solid as a tank in comparrison

That's what I was thinking as the others interior spec and options are very basic. Just gotta find a renault dealership near me that aren't all thick as two short planks! I really want a black 200 with cup chassis recaro's black speedlines and I'd be happy now to rob the bank!

Black, Cup pack, Recaro's, Black Speedlines........ Sounds like mine,

BLACKCLIO.jpg

P05-07-10_112701_EDIT.jpg

P05-06-10_1353.jpg

Stunning! So nearly went for the all black, but went for red and black. Was such a hard decision.

I bet it was.
I wanted something that wouldn't stand out a mile, something that would blend in with the traffic, all black i thought.
Wrong!! its a proper head turner, never in my life have i seen so many people turn there heads 180 degree's while driving past it.

It looks a lot better in the flesh, the pic's are a bit crap really.

Sorry to revive such an old thread but has anyone owned both 197 and 200 and have an opinion on this?

I had a 197 a few years ago and it was a great car which is why I've started the hunt for another Clio. I test drove a 200 today but it's obviously a relatively limited time you get driving so difficult to form an opinion. It felt heavier than I remember but that could just be in my head.

Dilemma is I'm trying to work out if I want to spend the extra on a 200 or if I should just go for a 197 again?

Are you comparing like for like models ? ie: 197 Cup and 200 Cup.

I know theres a 35kg weight saving on the Cup........although in performance figures there's nothing in it. Could account for some of the 'feel' though.

Reactions: BenAG200
Are you comparing like for like models ? ie: 197 Cup and 200 Cup.

I know theres a 35kg weight saving on the Cup........although in performance figures there's nothing in it. Could account for some of the 'feel' though.

That's the type of detail I'm trying to find out, I know performance theres not much in it but things like weight etc don't seem to be published anywhere obvious. Thanks

That's the type of detail I'm trying to find out, I know performance theres not much in it but things like weight etc don't seem to be published anywhere obvious. Thanks

I did a little digging and the weight seems to have changed very little unsurprisingly (Quoted as 1050 - 1150kg......depending on spec levels of course) between the 197 and 200.

On a like for like basis; Cup of course has different dampers and quicker steering rack amongst other things - which again could account for 'feeling heavier'. Aswell as the 35kg saving in its rawest form because of the lack of creature comforts.....

i would go for the 200
but if you plan for track car maybe with the spare money you saved by getting a 197 you can mod the car and build a better package

Last edited:
Reactions: BenAG200