Engine Temperature (Not Warming Up)

luke197

Platinum Member
Hi Everyone,

I’m hoping someone could help, I’ve had my 197 for a while now and I’ve never seen the engine temp gauge go anywhere above the first line.

Is this normal what do the rest of you get? Should I be looking at getting the stat changed?

Cheers Luke

Have you got climate, i found with mine when using the climate control and ac is on, ny gauge reads cooler than with it off.

Yeah I’ve got climate Ryan, il give it a go later on and see how it goes. It always seems to warm up enough to raise the rev limiter but still only just sits on the first line, a 1/4 I guess.

Cheers

I think it's a common fault bud I've herd a few places now that they should be more at the middle and if Ryan says is right that should drop it a little lower...

With the climate control on with the ac on it sits just above the first line, with it off (turn the fan speed down to nothing) after a few minutes it creeps upto half way, swich climate back on and it slowly creeps back down. I think it because when the aircon is on it activates the rad fans to cool the air con rad. I read that in an old haynes manual for the mk2 clio.

I did read that thread Paul, but it’s not really that conclusive though. Just wondering what other people have been getting.

I tried it with the climate/AC off earlier as Ryan suggested and no change at all. Just sits slightly above quarter way I guess.

Il have to see if I can borrow a CLIP and see what temp it gets up to, should be around 75c from what other people are saying.

photo-2.jpg

Luke

How long are you running the car for and are you driving it or letting it warm up where it is?

tbh I don't think its something I would worry about, if it was the other way around then yes be concerned.

I did read that thread Paul, but it’s not really that conclusive though. Just wondering what other people have been getting.

I tried it with the climate/AC off earlier as Ryan suggested and no change at all. Just sits slightly above quarter way I guess.

Il have to see if I can borrow a CLIP and see what temp it gets up to, should be around 75c from what other people are saying.

photo-2.jpg

Luke

You have to leave it for a few minutes for it to climb, doesnt just go up.

You have to leave it for a few minutes for it to climb, doesnt just go up.

I did about a 10mile round trip with it off Ryan, some in stop start traffic. This was the result when i got home.

I might be wrong but if the cars not getting up to temperature, around 75c then there should be no coolant being circulated around the radiator so having the climate on shouldn’t do a thing. Unless the sat is stuck open and always pumping round the rad, might be completely wrong though.

I’ve got an ODB Reader now so il test the temps and report back.

If the stat is stuck open it would take for ever for it to cone out of cold start map and the gauge would be alot lower than it is.

couple of things -

200 clocks in a 197 i assume - sure it isnt a problem with the calibration due to the instrument change?

have you checked under the bonnet - ie engine gets hot and stat opens and water flows in to rad - have you checked this happens?

have you let it sit at fast idle until the colling fan comes on?

lastly - thermostat is not a big job - so fit a new one?

couple of things -

200 clocks in a 197 i assume - sure it isnt a problem with the calibration due to the instrument change?

have you checked under the bonnet - ie engine gets hot and stat opens and water flows in to rad - have you checked this happens?

have you let it sit at fast idle until the colling fan comes on?

lastly - thermostat is not a big job - so fit a new one?

If it's none of the above, i know it's different but alfa twin sparks can suffer the same, some times it's the temprature sensor but 90% of the time its the thermostat stuck open.

Just a thought.

a thermostat is about £15,bang one on and see what happens,changed mine recently and the temp gauge now reads slightly higher,also the shaft one the old one looked slightly twisted to me so prob wasn't doing its job properly

Mine is usually where yours is in the pic goes up to the next line if in a lot of traffic. My fan is always on 1 ac off