Heater Fan Noise

Arran

I Love Lamp
Platinum Member
Not sure if anyone else has ever had this on their 197 or 200, but the heater fan in my car is noisy. It makes a ticking noise when it's on, most noticably on speed 1. It can sometimes not be that noticable, but then other times is very intrusive. It seems to get worse the more I use the car, so on long journey's, by the time I get to my destination the fan is loud. And is much worse when moving. Sometimes it will do it on any speed up to and including number 3, but is quiet on 4. Although this might only be because all you can hear then is the fan blowing so hard! Lol!

I have asked Renault to look at it several times, but they keep fobbing me off. Their latest BS was that there was a leaf in the filter or somewhere.

Previous BS has been:

. Normal noise tollerances
. Replaced fan bearings (I know this isn't true becasue I had to ask what they had done to it and he 'went to check with the mechanic')
. Couldn't find a noise.

Anyone else experienced the same sort of thing? I might book the car in AGAIN and see if they actually do anything this time. It might be beneficial if I request a test drive with the mechanic though I suppose.

Think we have the same noise in our 200. On 1 and 2 its quite noticable but not so much on 3 or 4. Its like theres a cricket behind the dash. It gets annoying.

cant hear mine unless its on 3 or 4

my girlfriends old micra (i think they share alot of renault parts) had a really noisy fan even on 1 and anything above 2 was unbearable. i think it sounded like a bearing was knackered.

I get that sometimes on low fan speed very faint ticking (07 / 29000 ) cure for me is turn the fan up to max for a few mins and then slowly decrease the speed , other than that wack the sound on the CD to full bore

if my fan is on speed 1 or 2 i get a faint but very high pitched noise, does my head in. have to either have fan on full blast or off lol.

I had a leaf in my TT system that gave that type of sound. Dealer removed it and it was sorted. After one experience with Renault dealers I wouldnt trust them with anything of mine ever again. I asked them to look at adjusting the boot shut....when it was dropped off to me, they said they couldnt replicate the fault. Took me about 3 shuts to replicate it. I found them a bunch of jokers to be honest.

I have the same issue, my car will be going into the stealer over the next mnth for a couple of warranty bits, this is on the list so I'll let you know how I get on.

Will try and book it in to be looked at again, but not really holding my breath tbh. It just really annoys me. I just wish they didn't give so much bs to the customers, it's ridiculous!

Thread resurrection!

Currently suffering from this and it's doing my head in! I reckon it's the blower motor that's developed a squeak. ANyone know how to get to it? Used to be easy on my mk1 as it was right there in the scuttle area.

Never got to the bottom of this problem. Took it to Renault several times, but they always said they couldn't find anything. It seemed to be heat and time related. So if the heater was on hot and had been on for a while then it made the noise. I think you're right about the motor, I thinj the bearings must run dry or something.

I'm sure of it Arran. There's no way I'm giving it the dealer - they'll charge a fortune, fail to fix it and break something else.

I'm going to have a dig about and see if I can get to the blower. I bet it'll just be a cheap bearing. Wouldn't surprise me if I found the same blower in there as my mk1! :smiley:

Was your MK 1 doing the same thing? Started to get a little annoying on a long journey. The only reason I gave it to the dealer was because it was still under warranty. Totally agree with you about them being useless. They never fixed it after 2 or 3 times. But having said that, I know how annoying it is when a customer complains about something but you can't find anything wrong. I went to this boiler a while back, thought it was ok. Went back again, made some adjustments. Thought it was ok. Had to go back again, turns out that on the very odd occasion it was doing something. But had to go 3 times to find it out. So annoying having to go back.

Another thread resurrection lol

Just got my car back on the road and have been driving around with out the stereo on, been bloody hot today so had aircon on full blast and this sound is very annoying.

Anyone fixed this yet?

Just to bring this back to life again -

Had this happen to me a couple of weeks ago, annoying the hell out of me so its going to renault london west tomorrow, thankfully still just inside the warranty.

I am taking it that no one previously has got it fixed.

I have a video of it making the noise, so will play that to them - and probably refuse to take the car back until it is fixed

Any idea of possible causes that I can point them at?
Worn bearing?

I think mine was caused by the aircon running out of gas because in mid July the aircon stopped working, when I had the car serviced I had the aircon re-gassed and I cant say I have noticed the sound since.