My heater fan has packed in. Ideas?

skippy93

Paid Member
So today my heater fan packed up working, I put it on when I got in and the fan didn't actually kick in for about 10min, I can feel heat but no fan, also I can hear it changing the route when you swap from say footwell heater to window screen. any ideas?

I'd check the pollen filter first and see if its wet or blocked or if it's ever been changed. Check the condition of the connection into the resistor pack I think you have to remove the glove box look in the how-to section it might be melted I was lucky number 4 fan setting was not working the connector had melted (poor contact) at the loom side so I slipped the pins into a connector I got from the scrap yard and it's been fine since. You need to say is your system manual or is it climate controlled the digital display.

Reactions: skippy93
Cheers, its the digital display one. it works when it wants at the minute. so ill take the dash out, the pollen filter gets charged every few months. is the heating the same as a normal clio or will I have to find a breakers/scrappy with a 197/200?

cheers

The fan box is kind of the same but there are electric motors that control the flaps the knobs use cables on the ordinary ones. the resistor packs should be the same that control the fan. You need to flick it to manual and control the fan because there is a temp sensor usually in the roof at the rear view mirror its a small barrel fan with the sensor in the middle that does the auto temp can build up fluff and throw the reading out a bit. Basically find out is it a fan problem or the auto temp control system problem. To be honest in the 172 when the engine was cold the fan stayed low in auto because there was no point blowing cold air until the water temp went up and normally blew around your feet but the display should tell you where its blowing. A problem with the 172 was I guess the flap hot to cold can freeze with ice and the motor try's to move it splitting the little gear on the flap you could tell by switching form full cold to full hot and it would go hot but not back to cold air. Superglue and a baby cable tie fixed it but the cars systems thought it had moved the flap and dealers charge people £1500 to replace the whole unit to fix it involving removing the entire dash. Don't go ripping the dash out just the glove box and check what the problem is before going mad looking parts, we will assume you have a fan problem it might just be the end of the loom or the resistor pack there might be a chance the climate control one might be a different unit.

Ok so I've had another look at this and it's now working most of the time but when it doesnt work if I tap the passenger side of the foot well it come on but I can not find anything looose.

Unplug and check the connectors have not melted and check the pollen filter has been changed if you haven't changed it yourself it only takes a few minutes to check these, and it's not going to fix itself.

Yeah I change the pollen filter every few months and none of the teminals have melted. I know its not going to fix its self, I have had the whole bottom half of the dash out twice now.