Heavy clutch

if its heavy there is a problem the 197/200 clutch pedals are light....

pedal effort increases as the mechanical effect of the pivot changes due to the friction linings wear

any idea what could be then

well its either hydraulic which dont normally go heavy they just dont work (pedal goes soft or no pedal at all)

or its mechanical - possible pressure plate or release bearing problems or just a generally worn clutch assembly

has the brake fluid level dropped alot? this feeds the clutch hydraulic system and the release bearing have been known to fail....

I just had a new clutch and slave fitted to mine, the difference was significant, much lighter, and my old slave was buggered.

Parts were about £250 for an exchange clutch and a slave from Renault, plus something like 4-5hrs labour, possibly a touch more. We did mine at the same time as a repair to the manifold so it is hard to tell exactly.

Depending on your mileage you may just need to replace the slave, though it is no more work to do the clutch at the same time. I seem to recall that they are priced pretty evenly with the slave being a touch less than the clutch.

if its heavy there is a problem the 197/200 clutch pedals are light....

oh no... :001_rolleyes:

my clutch definitely isn't light but only feels heavy when i've been driving it for over an hour or so, i get what i call 'clutch foot'

my cars done 8k so im not going to sweat it, got bigger fish to fry right now :wink:

if your going to the trouble of taking the gearbox out....replace the whole lot - clutch plate cover bearing...false economy to just change the slave unless it was mere days old !

my clutch pedal went stiffer after a half hour thrashing sesh mate but then returned to normal when everything had cooled down,never found out what it was!

Si, don't disagree at all, we did the lot on mine, certainly good practice, however... even with the 94k on my car the clutch still had life left.

I was just suggesting that on a low mileage car it could be £150 saved by not replacing the clutch as the slave is more prone to problems.

Si, don't disagree at all, we did the lot on mine, certainly good practice, however... even with the 94k on my car the clutch still had life left.

I was just suggesting that on a low mileage car it could be £150 saved by not replacing the clutch as the slave is more prone to problems.

true but for the sake of £150 would you really not do it...and you cant also estimate what the clutch would be like in another car - if it was an "easy" job to remove the box/change clutch (like that older cavaliers used to be) then fair enough - done a few "just replace whats needed" and its come back later with issues :001_rolleyes: