Help!! Car won't start once again!! :(

Hi Guys,

I haven't posted on here for a while so hope all is well.

I have a 2006 197 with 65k on the clock.

The majority of the time its been a reliable engine but for the past year I have had this intermittent starting problem which over the past 1 month it has got worse and worse.

You can go out somewhere and it starts fine then I could start it again and it's tries to start but doesn't fire up and then the warning lights come on saying ESP and TC control disabled, airbag disabled etc. I have had to get towed 3 times. Each time prior to that I have had to call out green flag and they used their battery booster to start it and it started fine even though when I used my jump leads to my friends car it didn't start. I happened 3 times this week.

To cut a long story short I need to know where the starter motor is in the clio 197? Yesterday I removed the battery + box (which is only 1 week old), both air intake pipes, checked fuses, removed airbox and all the loom looks fine. I also read on different forums that it could be the TDC/ crank sensor in the gearbox, I have checked this and cleaned it and all is good.

The car is stuck in my garage and wont start. If anyone has had this problem again and can share any advice on how to diagnose this that would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Chris

starter is tucked under the exhaust manifold..

if its spinning over the most likely culprit is the tdc sensor - fit a new one!!!

other is fuel pump - listen for it buzzing before the engine turns over!

starter is tucked under the exhaust manifold..

if its spinning over the most likely culprit is the tdc sensor - fit a new one!!!

other is fuel pump - listen for it buzzing before the engine turns over!

Hi Foxspeed.

Many thanks for getting back to me.

What is the best way of accessing the starter motor to test the voltage on the cables going to the starter motor?

Also is the fuel pump under the skirt infront of the rear drivers side wheel? I'm just going by where it is on my mums vauxhall corsa c. I don't know if thats the standard position for the fuel pump to be on all cars?

Hi Foxspeed.

Many thanks for getting back to me.

What is the best way of accessing the starter motor to test the voltage on the cables going to the starter motor?

Also is the fuel pump under the skirt infront of the rear drivers side wheel? I'm just going by where it is on my mums vauxhall corsa c. I don't know if thats the standard position for the fuel pump to be on all cars?

do a voltage drop test when cranking to check the starter - same with the earth side

starter only really accessable from underneath after removing heatshield

fuel pump - under rear seat - access hole in floor

if it was me and its cranking and the pump is buzzing/working I would change the tdc sensor

do a voltage drop test when cranking to check the starter - same with the earth side

starter only really accessable from underneath after removing heatshield

fuel pump - under rear seat - access hole in floor

if it was me and its cranking and the pump is buzzing/working I would change the tdc sensor

I shall undergo a drop voltage test tomorrow on the starter motor and then go from there. Thank you very much for all your help mate, it's much appreciated.

I shall be glad when I get the car working again and back on the road. :smiley: :smiley:

Chris

I have a similar problem a whole back. Car struggle to start all the time and when started it says esp disabled and there were a few times that I need a jump start. I did a drop test and it was fine. This problem started since I fitted a dash camera which is connected to the cigarette lighter thing. I tried to disconnect it and it seems to have solved the problem