HIDs, fitting & MOT

Hey all,

Picked up clio yesterday ace fun.

I have the headlights with cornering lights but no xenons.

Can I fit a hid kit to these? Is so what rating is best? Also will these kits pass mot or is it a case of removing them?

Also want to swap all my small bulbs to white LEDs (inside / out) where is best place to get them. eBay they are like £3 each!(and guess I need quite a few!)

Hi mate, to have HID bulbs pass the mot you will need either projector lamps or headlight washers. As for the interior bulbs I bought a pack of ten from eBay for about £5, been perfect. Just search for 501 led bulbs, will bring up thousands!

As long as beam patterns okay you'll be fine. As you have the cornering lights you have projectors so will be a straight swap. May want to take the bumper off to secure the ballasts well.. I attached mine to the crash beam thing. Also I got 6000k but it is probably a bit too blue I'd say 5000k is the best imho

If your thinking about whether this is effected by the new MOT laws from 2012 and whether this will become illegal, the official leaflet on the DFT website http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repositor...3-lighting.pdf states in section 1.7
The Department for Transport considers that after-market systems should be required to meet the same safety standards as that applied in respect of these lamps at vehicle Type Approval. Therefore, in order to pass the MOT test, vehicles fitted with after-market HID systems would also need to be fitted with headlamp cleaning and self-levelling systems.

The DFT publication also states that:
Where headlamp levelling or cleaning devices are missing or defective, but there is doubt as to whether they are required, the benefit of the doubt should be given and an advisory notice issued.​

I don't know whether you do or not to be honest. They aren't much more so I bought one to be safe can always take it out when you sell the car and use on any other car. Not much extra either.

Can someone confirm these are the 'projector lamps' that require a H1 fitting for the dip beam HID conversion. See photos attached umuhuzeq.jpggabe3utu.jpg

Am I right in thinking that top is indicator, left is cornering light, middle (projector) is dipped and then right is side light/main beam?

On the meg headlights be them xenon or none xenon they have a section underneath for ballast to go, thought the Clio May be the same?

Oh really didn't know that. Have to take my bumper off this week as one of my headlights has come out of the motor so will check this out where is it exactly