How did you choose your Clio

Love the thread Chris.. :thumb:

Always loved the Clio RS's so when the twingo was on her way out I thought why not let's try and find one...

Did the usual gander on interweb for a glacier white 200 (I prefer over the 197 sorry) saw one locally however it was out of my price range. Saw a 62 plate Racing Blue cup over in Stockport and took it for a test drive as I thought it'll give me a good basis, ended up getting back to dealers and buying it! Nearly two years ago and never looked back!

Talked to a friend about sharing a trackday car for fun.

Drove past an albi blue in a garage just round the corner from me so thought I'd have a little look.

Bought it for myself after a quick test drive there and then. Never regretted it :french:

Went to look at a Focus ST (2.5T), when I got there the garage had sold it. Garage along the road had a nimbus 197 so I had a look but it turned out to be a shed and the salesman was a knob. But I liked the look of it so had a quick look online and mine was for sale about 20 mins away, so went to see it. Had a drive and loved it so put the deposit down and collected it 4 days later.

Love it. See it - buy it.

#Man-shopping.

Proper :smile:

Wanted a Mk3 for about 7 years when I was overtaken by a black 197 on the M20 in 2009.
Dear Grandma left me some money so the search was on. Viewed one (eventually mine) at my local Renault dealership and was put off with deep black and no anthracite pack. Dealer was having a VIP event so it was stuck in the showroom and no test drive. Same day drove to Sussex to view a GW with Cup pack, Speedlines and leather seats.
Total dog. Brakes shagged, gearbox crunching, stains on the roof liner, scratches on the centre console.
Took forever to find a decent one, then the one I'd seen at Renault was dropped by £1k so I test drove it while 'working from home' and the rest is history!
What made me buy it was service history, mileage, price and warranty. Nothing came close at the time.
Reading through this thread makes me realise how few well looked after examples are out there (they're mostly on here!)

Mine was the second I viewed. I saw the first one (Albi) on Saturday afternoon, which had no paperwork, limited stamps in the book and the salesman told me he knew it had had the cambelt done because of a date (3 days earlier) tippexed on the engine block...:think:

The R27 was a short drive away, with the spec I liked (Recaros and Cup), full history, standard, great condition. I doubted I would find a better one, so I went and saw it on the Sunday to make sure, took it for a test drive, loved it, put a deposit down that afternoon and picked it up Tuesday. Three years ago this April.

PS, great thread Chris!

Them wheels still need a refurb though :wink:

I owned a mitzy l200 v6 for 4 year's, living out in the county side it made sense and was spot on
now live in the city center & the mitzy was a tad large ( small parking spaces) & thirsty try 12mpg
plus i looked like a redneck cruising through town with my shopping
decided a smaller car was needed .first looked at a fiat 500 it was perfect no road tax low insurance & could park it anywhere
had a test drive & that was enough to put me off plus all the lads in the pub i told asked if i was ok with my sexuality
saw the clio on autotrader only 3 miles away so had a ride down on sat morning had a test drive & p/xed the l200
by sat afternoon it was mine

@Micah you are correct in saying all the best examples are on here as we are all enthusiasts and no matter wether we prefer them standard, modded or full track spec they are all cherished cars. Another great reason for being a member on here.

@Micah you are correct in saying all the best examples are on here as we are all enthusiasts and no matter wether we prefer them standard, modded or full track spec they are all cherished cars. Another great reason for being a member on here.

Exactly :wink:

The Clio I ended up buying was actually one of the first ones I saw and also the most expensive. Went to view about 4-5 cars in total, test drove 2 of them.

The RB colour really had me sold right from the moment I saw it. I drove it and it felt great.

Test drove a black one, it looked a bit tatty, had the rust spot under the rear wiper, drove it and it was really jumpy, then after the test drive it smelt really hot, just generally didn't get a good feeling from it.

Another I drove quite a long way to see an Albi, got there and discovered rear quarter had been sprayed, obviously been in a bump at some point, dealer swore they knew nothing about it - walked away.

The other couple I viewed, another black one, again seemed tatty - something about black cars, they really need to be well looked after to avoid being covered in scratches and scuffs. Most of the cars I viewed had quite tatty seats, and worn out steering wheels. The one I bought, although not perfect, was noticeably better looked after than the rest.

Reactions: Jimmy
Always had a soft spot for the RS Clios, ideally wanted a 182 but for some strange reason, nobody would insure me (at the time, 27 with 3 points but 7 years ncb). Test drove one anyway and decided I needed one.

Fast forward 3 years and 197's were in my price range. I had the choice between a late 182 or an early 197... Lined up 5 cars to test drive, talked the missus into being my taxi for the day and it turned out we didn't need to go far, I bought the first one I saw! I probably paid a little too much but I don't regret it. The 2nd one I was supposed to look at was dubious at best and the "dealership" wasn't open on weekends. Fancy that...

So yeah. A month into ownership and I'm still in love with the car. I can't help but look back every time I walk away from it and I often find excuses to go for a drive. "Oh no... We're low on milk... I'll just pop down the shops. Via the coast. For no reason..."

Always had a soft spot for the RS Clios, ideally wanted a 182 but for some strange reason, nobody would insure me (at the time, 27 with 3 points but 7 years ncb). Test drove one anyway and decided I needed one.

Fast forward 3 years and 197's were in my price range. I had the choice between a late 182 or an early 197... Lined up 5 cars to test drive, talked the missus into being my taxi for the day and it turned out we didn't need to go far, I bought the first one I saw! I probably paid a little too much but I don't regret it. The 2nd one I was supposed to look at was dubious at best and the "dealership" wasn't open on weekends. Fancy that...

So yeah. A month into ownership and I'm still in love with the car. I can't help but look back every time I walk away from it and I often find excuses to go for a drive. "Oh no... We're low on milk... I'll just pop down the shops. Via the coast. For no reason..."
If you're looking back at your car you know you have made the right choice. I do it all the time.

Had a Clio Grande 1.2 for my first car as it had free insurance at the time (i was 19). My mate got a 172 and I swore I'd have one when I hit 25. At 26 bought a 172, loved that car but bought a bit of a nail. I then went onto a 200 a few years later, then a 200edc and just picked up my 220 trophy today. Never had anything else then a clio.

I can't help but look back every time I walk away from it and I often find excuses to go for a drive. "Oh no... We're low on milk... I'll just pop down the shops. Via the coast. For no reason..."

Yes! Two & a half years on nearly & I still do that. They just get under your skin.

Reactions: LOCKE
I can't help but look back every time I walk away from it and I often find excuses to go for a drive. "Oh no... We're low on milk... I'll just pop down the shops. Via the coast. For no reason..."
so true...think i forget things on purpose only so I can go for another drive..

Reactions: Johnny 99
A drive in my friends red 197 was what done it for me just loved the go kart feel . So the search began with not much knowledge on the cars to be honest i quickly came across alien green and knew straight away that it was the colour for me . I started with a budget of 5k which went straight out the window with AGs being made in low numbers . So after a bit of serching i came across a cup with speedlines , recaro seats and decent mileage it was more than i wanted to spend but i just went for it . I've now owned it for three months and done 350 miles in it and 165 of them was driving it home :smile: The sad thing is i planned to keep it for the best part of this year but i've just found out there is a good chance i may be loosing my job at the end of the month so sadly the clio might have to go as bills come first unfortunately :worried: