Introducing My Clio PH1 172

Giles: It's a beaut to live with, for a sub 2k car kinda puts the new stuff to shame.

A2ON: PM you buddy, I'm not up to scratch on this situation.

Jimpy: yes that's vickys car, want more pics of that ITB/NOS'd bad boy lol? :wink:

Giles: It's a beaut to live with, for a sub 2k car kinda puts the new stuff to shame.

Jimpy: yes that's vickys car, want more pics of that ITB/NOS'd bad boy lol? :wink:

No, it might give me ideas, and i have other plans for my 182

Lol I'm sure a test drive would change your mind, nothing quite like a stripped and bodied Clio at 8000rpm down a straight through exhaust :wink:

great project looks like fun,I was just talking to a guy yesterday who has a PH1 172 on coilovers and he loves it.looked very low but needed some spacers to set it of.

yeah lets see them i haven't see much of her car lately, take it vicky s the misses

Right been a while since the last update, too busy using it and enjoying it!

Since the last aux belt disaster when i disabled my own car i decided for ease of fitting and future work to bin the air con and hopefully gain a few bhp and tidy up the bay. So i bought one of these from Pure motorsport:
aircondeletekit.jpg

The new setup will look like this, all pulleys replaced with lighter versions, the alternator is re located as low as possible and also fitted with a bigger pulley for less rpm ( less drain on engine when charging battery ):
aircondelete2.jpg

So out with the heavy and useless ( well for this time of the year ) A/C equipment:
Airconpic.jpg

And in with the new setup:
photo2-1.jpg

Crank pulley requires locking the engine up and then checking timing afterwards to ensure timing wasnt disturbed:
photo14.jpg

Used the opportunity to refresh the manifold gaskets and other related seals and fixings:
photo32.jpg

Verdict:
Can't really feel any more 'revviness' in the engine which is dissapointing as the pulleys felt significantly lighter than the originals. I also had a lot of trouble correctly tensioning the belt up, at one end the belt slipped with heavy steering inputs and on the other end it was piano string tight and hummed when driven. In the end i accepted some slip on full lock and even then it still whines a little bit at high rpm and when rolling down from 6k+. Anyone else with this kit noticed this?

Next update will include this parcel i picked up last week :wink::
photo13.jpg

Thanks for reading...

Last edited:
yeah lets see them i haven't see much of her car lately, take it vicky s the misses

Dunno wheres she hiding them all mate but heres a few i could find. 850kg + 207 N/A bhp/257 on spray bhp @ 8000rpm = a very embarassed ITB'd 197 :worried:

Essexmeet.jpg

DSC01575.jpg

NewImage1.jpg

And yes it does still have 1.4 badges on the door :tongueout:

Looks good Ben! Not to sound rude, but what's the point if removing the aircon? What variety KW did u get?

I've just bought one of these. Bought it with the intention of using it as a track car....But bought a mint one and want to keep it that way now haha.

Looks good man.

What sort of weight has it removed?

When i took the aircon out of my alfa the pump alone was 9kg.

Looks good Ben! Not to sound rude, but what's the point if removing the aircon? What variety KW did u get?

Less kerb weight ( see below ), less rotational mass, cleaner engine bay, cheaper cambelt replacements, more airflow to radiator, stronger heaters with air con rad removed from scuttle panel and renault A/C in a 12 year old motor isnt exactly amazing anyway.

What sort of weight has it removed?

When i took the aircon out of my alfa the pump alone was 9kg.

All brackets, piping, compressor, radiators, fluid and pulley difference add upto a 16kg loss and over 1kg of rotational mass plus improved, direct airflow to the radiator.