Car decisions

Hi, im quite new on here. I've got a Lupo Gti which i'm going to sell in a month or so. Had it 5 years so fancy a change.

I'm leaning towards getting a 197. Love the look of them but when i test drove one a year ago it didnt seem a huge step up from the GTi in terms of speed. Perhaps i wasnt using all the revs like i know you need to. I think i need to test drive again

When were the gear ratio's changed? 2007?

Other car is maybe a golf gti. They dont look as special but are quick and can get bign bhp for not a lot of money.

What you guys think?

err you failed to drive the car properly lol

you need to be above 5k revs for the thing to shift lol

once above 5k you will start smilling

get a 197 all day long

I will need another test drive before i decide then.

When were the gear ratios revised, read in mags around 2007? how you know if the car has new ones?

Also did all 197s have brembo brake calipers?

My mate has just got a rx-8, so want something that doesnt get easily beaten by that :smile:

cheers

lmao i walked all over an RX8 the other day thats an easy race. honestly mate u wont go faster or have as much fun for cheaper.

I used to have a lupo gti. They are a superb car! Sold mine five years ago for a astragsi. Worst decision I ever made!! Lupo reg was YXS? Don't suppose there a chance you have my old car? Anyway, Clio 197 or 200 is the way to go for sure!

yup it was a 09 reg black one i left him for dead on the motorway. . . . mine has a few mods but it mustve been embarrasing for him lol. oh RX8's only feel fast cus ure arse is 5mm away from floor lol and rev they do that lol

Arnt they only like a 1.3L but running 200+ BHP, always confused me that car.

If I was buying again I would get a 350z, imo the 197 is a pain to drive smoothly and is like a woman.

But saying that, what a car. Just been out in mine and was sat away from the seat and I put my foot down in second, was pined to the seat lol

I've got a MKV Golf and like you say, little money for big gains. However, I've put the Golf back to daily duties from being an absolute snorter and bought a 200 as my track/second car .... I think that speaks volumes about the Clio. However the Golf won car of the year for so many years for a good reason.

That said, depends what you want from a car? Image is a lot and I won't use the Clio when visiting clients or visiting posh places. That isn't me being snobby, but other peoples prejeduces sadly. Can't say I'd be particularly willing to use it for the slog down to our place in the south of France either, the Golf did all of these with no issues... Every car has it's positives and negatives

I appreciate you never give a test drive car much abuse, but find a friendly dealer and ask them if you can give it some safe 'boot'. I'm sure they'll oblige and you'll be impressed.

Failing that, buy my MKV GTI and I'll have the Clio and a 'sensible' I'm finding it hard to justify 2 hot hatches.

Last edited:
Definitely go for the 197 over the golf gti, I drove a mk5 gti before buying my 197 and yes they're maybe a bit faster in a straight line but they're REALLY boring!

Gear ratios were revised near the end of 2007, if you cruise at 70 with an old gearbox revs will be around 3500 but with the revised gearbox they're around high 2000s I think.

And yea, they all have brembos :smile:

The Clio will beat a Mazda round the bends and stay with 300+ bhp cars in the twisty bits,but like the others said you have to rev it.Drove mine to Italy and Malorca been all over France in it ,comfy all day long .And practical.

Last edited:
My lupo reg ends in ZTV.

0-62 time for clio is 6.9.
Think mazda is lows 6s.

Are 182s quicker in a straight line?

I know you have to rev the 197 to get the true performance, but does it still pull well at say 3000rpm?

So if i get an early 2008 it should have the revised gear box?
Im looking to spend no more that 10k, that achievable for a 2008 car?

My lupo reg ends in ZTV.

0-62 time for clio is 6.9.
Think mazda is lows 6s.

Are 182s quicker in a straight line?

I know you have to rev the 197 to get the true performance, but does it still pull well at say 3000rpm?

So if i get an early 2008 it should have the revised gear box?
Im looking to spend no more that 10k, that achievable for a 2008 car?

0-60 times are just something to brag down the pub, in real terms you will find the 197 can keep with most cars and carry much more speed around corners.

Your just going to have to test drive another one mate, some people who come to the 197 from say a turbo say it has no low down torque but I find if you are in the right gear it will go like a rocket.

You might get lucky and get a 08 for 10k but for a good one you should be looking at more £10,400 mine is a 58 and I had that up at £10,600 granted it has not sold but gives you an idea.

If its all about power then have a go in a Meg 230, they are rapid and pull like a train.

I had my 08 197 registered in April, still had the old ratio box, but that was changed after a technical difficulty, its now on sale in Arnold Clarks for £10,488 with 18k on the clock. So yeah you could pick one up for 10k from either a dealer or a pvt sale. :wink:

My first 197 had a new box fitted and the ratios mean a slightly slower 0-60 with the new box.
The 200 has yet another set of Ratios but more low down torque and an extra 3 bhp but the 0-60 is about the same ,a re map /exhaust etc would get you more torque and higher power .