Car decisions

As others have said, it depends what you want from a car. But if you like driving quickly round fast A and B roads, then the Clio is amazing! I didn't boot mine on test drive and thought it was quick, but I came out a 1.2. When I picked it up and used the revs I was amazed! Handles so well too. The Golf is a bit more grown up I think. If you want serious power gains then turbo is the way to go. If you want driving fun then the 197 is the way to go! Used prices have dropped a little, I got my '09 58 plate 197 for £12k in Jan. It's got bluetooth and cornering lights over standard, so i'm sure you'll be able to find an '08 for around what you want to pay. The RX8 will be quicker in a line, but in the corners no. They use a lot of fuel and oil too, being a rotary engine.

Ye, 197 is better than the 182. There's a video from fifth gear where Jason Plato compares the 2. Search youtube for 182 vs 197.

I doubt you would get that from a filter and chip. The engine from the factory is 192 BHP. 197 refers to the power in PS. So you are down from the outset! A filter MIGHT add 3 BHP. Don't bother with an induction kit, they reduce power! A remap might see 12 BHP, so you are looking at 15 BHP increase at the most. Most 197 engines are down on the original figure, so you would probably be looking at getting 197 BHP!

210 ps then? lol

So a good panel filter, then chip. Superchips advertise a 12bhp increase. Be nice to get over 200bhp.

honestly mate my mods VVVVVVVVVVV (below) im running a true 197 at the wheels ure talking 5k plus to get 200 at the wheels

the car is the funnest thing u will ever drive though it revs wild with cams, absolutely leaves alot of cars at 5k revs and will carry on to a good 130 + mph without mods i had 150 outa mine its mental.

its always a lower figure at the wheels isnt it? so what bhp u running at flywheel or other place they measure it?

yeah at the fly itl be 10 to 20 percent more than that. I need to get it on another dyno to get a print out mate probably about the 220 mark if im been optimistic lol

think im gunna supercharge mine now though ive egot forged internals so it can stand 700 - 800hp . . . . not that its going to even get anywhere near that but id be happy with 280 to even be in with a chance against R32's etc etc

Im actually taking the car off the road next month SORN and garaging it to do extensive works and give the car a break. so itll probably get done in this time.

I keep looking on Autotrader to see if theres any good 197s near me.

Just none near me for the right price. Need a test drive!

Are the recaros a must have? comfy for long distance?

The recaros are fantastic, they grip you tight in the corners and I've done 200 mile non stop journeys in mine with no aches and pains when jumping out at the other end, absolutely love mine.

The standard seats are very good though, they hold you fairly well and are a bit more comfortable.

I've got standard seats in mine and they do the job! Lol! They aren't the most supportive seats in the world, but I think for most of the time they will suffice. Recaros tend to push the price up a bit. They are nice though!

Use mine for long trips,track days and comuting,had a 197 with the normal sports seats but the Recaros in this one are fantastic and well worth having other than the bolster ware problem,would like to get them in leather cost £240 per seat tio have done .

remember sitting in a 197 when they first came out at the festival of speed and can remember thinking the seats (standard ones) were really supportive and comfy

I would like the recaros but dont want a cup (as i want a/c) so be lucky to get them.

climate control would be nice as well. along with the xenons as they are great on my lupo

I think the standard seats are way better than the Recaros in terms of comfort, I remember reading in a magazine that they thought the standard seats were the most comfy they had ever sat in! Saying that you have to get Recaros cos they look the nuts, and that's what it's all about :wink: haha

My 1st one nine seven had climate,folding heated mirrors ,(non cup '06),corner self level lights, extra tint windows ,front spliter,rear spoiler,keyless(which adds in-out colum adjustment to the standard up and down,)cruise and speed limiter,head lamp wash ,upgraded stereo etc .My F1 has all these, you can add the cup chassis to any 197 as a factory opption after2007 MY.It was fitted standard to the R27 F1 (500 made) in 2007.The cup is a stand alone model.
The mirrors arn't handed so you can fit a drivers side wide angle mirror to the near side for continental driving,also fit a left hand drive drivers side sunvisor which gives you a mirror cover and the all important toll ticket holder as your passenger will be doing the toll duties on your foreign trips .
DSC_0217rs3.jpg
On hol in Malorca
malorca.jpg
DSC00331.jpg

th_DSC00352.jpg

Last edited: