Car decisions

remember sitting in a 197 when they first came out at the festival of speed and can remember thinking the seats (standard ones) were really supportive and comfy

I would like the recaros but dont want a cup (as i want a/c) so be lucky to get them.

climate control would be nice as well. along with the xenons as they are great on my lupo

My first 197 had standard seats, they sit lower than the Recaros and they are very supportive. The main thing with the Recaro's is the look and little bit of extra support.

It had Climate to which was good on auto setting but the Climate on the 197 had alot of problems (one thing that didnt actually break down on mine ).

It also had Xenons which where a big problem. They where amazing when they worked but the levelers were always breaking. I think it was in at least 3 times in 18 months ownership for that and another twice for the keyless entry failing needing new handels on both sides.

My current 197cup however is no frills (apart from the Recaro's) and all the better for it its never had one problem since I bought I got it new 2 years ago.

You CAN spec Air-Con with a cup to !

If I were you, I would look for a standard 197 with standard seats, but with the optional xenon headlights. Although the optic headlights give the same look but without the blue tint. Standard headlight units have chrome surrounds, where as the optic and xenon's are grey/black. Both come with fixed cornering lights, which activate below 37mph. You can tell if a 197 has xenon's because they will have the headlamp wash. They also come with auto leveling. IMO the climate looks better in the dash and I wish i'd got it in my car. But the normal controls are just easier to use. All non cup 197s come with cruise control, speed limiter, heated electric door mirrors, a/c, 6 air bags, Brembo front brake calipers, front fogs, key less entry and start and colour coded exterior plastics as standard.

Last edited:
so there are 3 different headlights?

standard - chrome trim
xenons - black trim
optic - black trim

seen ones with the black trim and they do look nicer, and more so when i want a black one.

standard seats sit lower? sounds good to me! :smile:

2 headlight types.

Well, 2 different surrounds, 3 different headlights. 1. Standard with chrome.
2. Projector or optic with black.
3. Xenon with black.
The best are the xenon's (obviously). Both black surround have fixed cornering lights. Standard chrome ones don't look very good IMO!

The xenons are absolutely fantastic. The amount of light they put out on full beam is the bestest I've ever had since my XR2 that had 4 100W rally lamps!

Right, now I've said that, does anyone wanna buy my car? (it has xenons!) :smiley: