Corsa VXR to Clio 197/200

I really like corsa vxr's, I think all you hear on car forums is bad press about other cars because a lot of people want to big up there car, I love my 197, that doesn't mean I wouldn't have a corsa vxr, I did test drive a vxr and thought it was great, straight line speed I don't think there would be much in it, but the corsa did have a bit more oomph, and the clio braked and handled better, but the corsa still handles really good, it's just the clio's handling is in different league!

Me personally I think the clio is powerful enough (would be nice to have a nice option for more power sometimes though) for me, and the handling is what won me over and why I purchased a clio, I'd still have a vxr though.

think its a case of leave them alone and dont stress them....

like where they mention "explosion" always a case of a bad discription that - should be "burn" or "controlled burn"

exceeding the safe limits of the engine as it was designed - for big power from a 1.6 but also meet emission standards - thats what you get with cast (cheap) pistons!!

i did consdier a corsa vxr before getting the 197...always wanted a gt turbo and thought the 197 would be as entertaining...and yes it didnt disappoint!!!

Last edited:
In other words...

The sterotypical VXR owner coming out of his house in the morning and ragging off to work bouncing off the limiter instead of allowing the engine to warm up?
Yeah I see people everyday in other cars and just ragging the pants off of it from cold. My BF got a cheap Evo from a bloke for the very same reason, Knew nothing about cars, ragged when cold and tuned without doing it correctly and bang the engine melted and now my BF is building it back up again as the last owner couldnt aford to do the work.

regal are crap anyway, so who cares lol, fact is they are both good car's
Agree!

well some do, as im sure every make of cars has unsympathetic owners.
Again with my first quote, My mum used my VXR in the past and had to explain to her about leaving the car running when you arrive at the shops for 30+ secs. She didnt get it but she however do as she was told :hug1:

think its a case of leave them alone and dont stress them....

like where they mention "explosion" always a case of a bad discription that - should be "burn" or "controlled burn"

exceeding the safe limits of the engine as it was designed - for big power from a 1.6 but also meet emission standards - thats what you get with cast (cheap) pistons!!
Well we know the engine can take 200 bhp from the Burg. Dont think there is any internal mods just small maps and reworked flow. VXL wouldnt be selling the car out the box with 200 bhp if there was a chance it would go bang...

its only a small improvement in bhp and within safe limits as such

but boosting a 1.6 to over 200hp is "stressing" it - vauxhall know that the vast majority of owners wont be thrashing it day in day out - unlike some other owners

make no wonder the pistons land breaks given the pressure it will have at full power!

Your bound to get better comments for the clio on here as thats the car nearly all of us have.

It's good to see the people who've owned both give the corsa some good reviews.

Before i bought my 197 i had to have a good look at other cars just to make sure i was making the right decision, you don't want to spend this much money and not get the right car.

I considered a mini cooper, a volvo C30, an M3 and a corsa VXR. I'll be honest and say i never did test drive a VXR but all the reviews and tests of them had them close to each other i doubt i'd have been able to able to drive one faster than the other so it came down to what i wanted.

I'm not calling the VXR chavvy but it does have that type of stigma attatched to it and i think it did'nt help when chosing which to buy.

Day to Day driving, there is nothing between theses cars, just comes down to personal choice. If anything, I would argue, the VXR is a better car for the average Joe. Its easier to live with. My wife and daughter could quite easily drive it. Vauxhalls biggest problem is the stigma attached to the VXR brand. Conversely its because of their appeal and not because they are crap. The same with e46 M3's, Sub's, Evo's, Cosworths and many other great cars.

The clio appeal wasn't instant for me. You learn about the car as you drive it more. It isn't instantly fast but you learn how it can be. Unfortunately that doesn't appeal to those who want something different. For that reason, it will only attract a certain type of driver. The clio's brilliant but Rs understand that all that development and accolades from the driving media and press, counts for nothing if you cant keep the share holders and accountants happy, hence the change in the clio 3.

Last edited:
tbh i dont believe that, if anything that down to driver skill!

tiff needle is no slow coach, anyone remember the vxr vs clio 197!!

point said?

either way both cars are equal

cadwell 5th gear

1-16.7 197

1-17.9 vxr

its only a small improvement in bhp and within safe limits as such

but boosting a 1.6 to over 200hp is "stressing" it - vauxhall know that the vast majority of owners wont be thrashing it day in day out - unlike some other owners

make no wonder the pistons land breaks given the pressure it will have at full power!
Perhaps but I doubt in standard form it would go bang even with 202bhp. I know I'd be a very dubious owner if I had it mapped everytime I drive. But in saying that there are plenty of owners out there that have had stage 2 and stage 3 put on the VXR with not even a hiccup.

I'm not calling the VXR chavvy but it does have that type of stigma attatched to it and i think it did'nt help when chosing which to buy.
Do you not think the RS falls into the same category then, and why? Just interested seeing the two cars are in the same class.

cadwell 5th gear

1-16.7 197

1-17.9 vxr
Not allot in it at all then, seeing both are out the box.

Do you not think the RS falls into the same category then, and why? Just interested seeing the two cars are in the same class.

Basically NO.

The two cars are in the same class, well i suppose they are but (to me) ones an enthusiasts car and the other is one that'll most probably end up getting bling'd up by the halfords brigade.

I test drove a VXR before i bought my 182. Loved the looks, loved the seats!! hated the feel of the steering, hated the clutch, hated the gearbox. Just felt so detached were as the clio felt much more purposeful/useable.

Basically NO.

The two cars are in the same class, well i suppose they are but (to me) ones an enthusiasts car and the other is one that'll most probably end up getting bling'd up by the halfords brigade.
Both are in the hothatche class but one is more of a drivers car 'enthusiasts' and the other is IMO a drivers car but not as good as the clio but both have their ups and downs over one another. I can and I cant see where your coming from with the 'halfords brigade' I've never seen a chaved up VXR but VXL let them selves down by offering the everyday joe to buy their 1.2 Corsa with a VXR replica kit on it and thats where they shot themselves in the foot with that one. I think there the ones that are going to get chavved up as most chavs would buy that 1.2 look-a-like.

I test drove a VXR before i bought my 182. Loved the looks, loved the seats!! hated the feel of the steering, hated the clutch, hated the gearbox. Just felt so detached were as the clio felt much more purposeful/useable.
The clutch in VXR is really light which would make it better for daily driving, where as in my 197 you need legs like a weight lifter to operate the clutch pedle. But I can live with that as from past experience great cars have heavy clutches for some reason, Just one of those compramises I supose.

But I can live with that as from past experience great cars have heavy clutches for some reason...

If you're ever at a show and get to sit in an original AC Cobra or a Ferrari F40 then jump in and have a cheeky prod of the clutch. It's like trying to leg press Vanessa Feltz in those things, although the F40 is slightly lighter.

A sign of impending greatness, the heavy clutch. :smile:

I think in about 5 years time there be loads of vxr's out there that have a few trips into halfords, bling wheels and extra kit etc.

Don't get me wrong, i dare say there be a few clios having the same treatment, but not on the same scale.

My mate has a garage and i find it quite disturbing how many young lads have managed to buy a 172/182 and cock them up with big chrome wheels and body kit add ons.

But i think the vxr will be the next boy racer trendsetter :scared:

I've not driven a Corsa VXR.. I've no wish to either, they're bloody awful looking. but, i've driven a Cooper S 1.6 Turbo which i'd imagine is similar engine wise.

From that, you may miss the torque of the Corsa.. but keep the Clio singing you'll have a right laugh. They corner brilliantly too.

I agree with you here Phil.

My personal opinion is this,

I had a Corsa C SXI 1.2 when I passed my test up until I turned 21 and got the clio 197. I thought the corsa was a great car to have to kick off your first years of driving. It had sports suspension as standard which was firm but not too firm, it was a comfortable ride. Interior wasn't too bad, seats were slightly sporty with side lumbars but not as sporty as standard 197/200 RS seats though. The MPG for a 1.2 isn't the best. Handling wasn't bad slight chassis role but for a first car they were good. With it having a cam chain I didn't need to worry about changing it unlike the belts on clio.
The electronic throttle sensor was annoying though in the corsa, kicked in late when pulling away from roundabouts.

However, now I have the 197 I love it. As we all know Renault Sport are the KINGS of suspension set up and handling. The clio glue's itself to the road without any chassis role. Don't get me wrong i've got used to the speed and the slow get away due to the flat spot up until 2200k revs is annoying when pulling away which i'm sure the VXR hasn't got with the turbo kicking it early.

The reason why I didn't go for a Corsa VXR is because i've had a corsa C in the passed and wanted a change.

I'm going for a VAG model car next though with a turbo. :smile: Not until another 3-4 years.

How can you base a 1.2 corsa C against anything in this thread?

I just found that pointless reading. A corsa Vxr would be a night and day difference in change over a 1.2 corsa c. It's a complete different shape, it's a D?

I've not driven a Corsa VXR.. I've no wish to either, they're bloody awful looking. but, i've driven a Cooper S 1.6 Turbo which i'd imagine is similar engine wise.

From that, you may miss the torque of the Corsa.. but keep the Clio singing you'll have a right laugh. They corner brilliantly too.

This. Not for me, decent reviews and obviously appeals to some people but it looks crap. If we all drove the same car life would be dull anyway.

N/A FTW.