Knocking from rear!

I took my RS200 into my local Renault dealer this weekend because I was hearing an intermittent metallic 'clonking' noise from the rear while pulling away and/or driving at low speeds. It seems to be worse when cold.

The technician agreed that there was a noise and was very to diagnose a problem with the exhaust heat shield that required adjustment. I'd like to say the problem is fixed and it did seem to be for 24 hours but the noise has returned!! :thumb1:

Is this a common problem with the RS200? I have checked the boot for loose items and I was reassured that there is nothing 'loose' under the car....

Thanks for any suggestions.......

Mine does this. Think it might be the rear brake pads. Only clonks when pulling away for the 1st time when cold.

Maybe the boot catch mate. I had the same issue. I put a cloth over the boot catch when I closed the boot and has never come back lol. A more perm fix is to adjust the boot catch. Loads of threads on here about it.

I've got this on mine too. I thought it was the heat shield as it does it going over speed bumps etc too.
May try the towel over boot lock trick tomorrow just incase lol.

Mine does this. Think it might be the rear brake pads. Only clonks when pulling away for the 1st time when cold.

if it is then theres something wrong as there are anti-rattle springs on the rear caliper/pads...

I fixed the boot lid by putting a little bit of electrical tape around the catch. Works a treat as long as you don't put too much on. The boot slams with a much more 'German' noise now :smile:.

I fixed the boot lid by putting a little bit of electrical tape around the catch. Works a treat as long as you don't put too much on. The boot slams with a much more 'German' noise now :smile:.

its easy to adjust the striker....you dont even have to remove the boot trim...

I have a standard exhaust but I now remember that the boot catch on my old RS197 was the cause of a similar noise back in the day...

I will try the PVC tape trick to see if I can fix the noise... Thanks for the helpful comments everyone!

My parcel shelf was knocking when going over rough roads . Put some foam pipe lagging where it slides into the trim .

My RS200 has the exact same problem. Tried the tape over the lock catch but didnt made any difference. I have been out with the Renault mechanic trying to work out what is making the noise and he was in the boot with the seats down, parcel shelf out and even the boot door open and it was still making it. Waiting on them getting another car in to test along side mine to see if it is a common problem.

On another note I have started getting a weird creak from the rear right of the car when turning right. Its slowly driving me mad as it only happens turning right at low speed. I’m 99% sure its coming from the inside of the car. Any ideas?

I had the heat shield adjusted on mine to stop the knocking

Turns out the shield gets hot, then you go through a puddle and the metal deforms, touching the exhaust. Just needs a tweak