Reverse Lights not working, next step advice?

Ok, so few weeks ago my reverse lights stopped working.

Thought it was abit odd for both bulbs to go, but tried this first anyway, two new bulbs from local motor factors, no joy. Next checked my fuses, both under steering wheel and engine bay (not sure which ones look after rear/reverse lights) please feel free to tell me if you know :smile:

Next visited local Renault dealer and purchased gearbox switch for the lift up mechanism. Its a purple plug on the side of the gearbox. Car on ramp and disconnected current switch, however I could then not start the car, and it thought it was in reverse. And have been able to fit the new switch as the area is so tight for access through the bottom access hole. Anyone had any similar experiences. I was wondering if it would be possible to replace from the top of the engine bay if I removed the battery.

Thanks in advance
JAM

have you volt tested the sensor on the side of the gearbox to make sure its not that that is faulty...basically the part of the sensor prior to the plug you have removed?

have you volt tested the sensor on the side of the gearbox to make sure its not that that is faulty...basically the part of the sensor prior to the plug you have removed?

No mate, I have'nt - thanks for the suggestion, I was hoping to find a way of fitting the new sensor to rule that out first.... if that makes sense.

just take the multi-plug off the reverse light switch and use a piece of wire to bridge the pins in the plug - with the ignition on the lights should come on - if they dont its wiring / fuse / lamp - if they do illuminate its the switch

Reactions: papa
Thanks - does anyone know which fuse would look after the rear (reverse lights) or atleast which fuse box it is in?

Thanks - does anyone know which fuse would look after the rear (reverse lights) or atleast which fuse box it is in?

it should be in the internal fuse box, and from memory when i had the clio in your handbook is a fuse guide. It wont be a fuse for just that operation, it will have multi uses. On old cars on the back of the cover there used to be little symbols, i'd aim for the one linked with your brake lights/tail etc