Affordable "super cars"

iAndy

Platinum Member
Ok... The running costs will kill the dream but last night I found out of a bargain and feel for the previous owner.... Aston Martin DB9 only done 8000miles. £33k what an epic car for such a achievable amount. Don't think it will loose much more.... But the running costs will easily take it into the... My car makes my wallet empty category :worried:

A former business partner is hopefully gonna be the new owner but I want first chance when he gets bored of it!

How many more ultimate cars are there out there in the affordable area.....

Bentley GT, early ones are around £35,000 now.

I wouldn't call the Aston or the Bentley a supercar really, more of a premium brand than anything else. It's like Porsche, not so much a supercar but a very nice very quick car... You can get a lot of Porsche for that sort of money now too.

Seen some nice Ferrari 360's and a couple of F430's coming into budget... Need to wait until I move but think if its only for a few months next spring may see another addition to the car family :smile:

Then spend the rest of life paying for it lol

I've noticed this too, Aston Martin V8 vantages for 30K, as you say Andy very tempting.

I remember reading an article in Evo that was basically a "What do you choose, a new Nissan GTR or a second hand Lambo"

They road tested a new R35 against a 5 year old Gallardo. The GTR beat it off the line and on the track but they said they would have the Lambo as the driving experience was another level.

When it came to costs both cars were 70K, both had around the same MPG and the Lambo was more expensive to service, however when you took into account the depreciation over 3 years, the Nissan lost more cash than Greece meaning the Lambo was actually the cheaper option.

Last edited:
Wait another year for the Gallardo replacement to come out and you'll be able to get an early one of those for ~£35,000 too. :wink:

I think that was the whole point og the article... On the Lambo, the depreciation had already been taken by somebody else so over the next few years you'd actually be better off putting up with the higher servicing costs of the Lambo than losing £35,000 on the GT-R in depreciation as well as the usual servicing costs etc. Most of a cars depreciation is in the first year of it's life, after around three years they tend to plateau and that's the same for every car out there really, prestige or otherwise. A customer of mine has just lost £23,000 in five months on a brand new Jaguar XKR...

Comparing a new GTR with a 5 year old Lambo and then using depreciation as the deciding factor?

Depreciation from new is the reason the GTR is now affordable performance. You dont go to the new car showroom for value.

That's Evo and the real world for you. :smile:

I think that was the whole point og the article... On the Lambo, the depreciation had already been taken by somebody else so over the next few years you'd actually be better off putting up with the higher servicing costs of the Lambo than losing £35,000 on the GT-R in depreciation as well as the usual servicing costs etc. Most of a cars depreciation is in the first year of it's life, after around three years they tend to plateau and that's the same for every car out there really, prestige or otherwise. A customer of mine has just lost £23,000 in five months on a brand new Jaguar XKR...

As Will says the point of the article is what do you spend your money on, new or old. In the longer run the lambo will lose less value than a nissan.

The same can be said for cheaper cars too, for example do you buy a fully loaded new Focus RS or a used Exige..

I bought my car new and have taken a massive hit on its value but I wanted a brand new car that no one else had had. Every car before had been used so I had to do it at least once. I knew I would cain the millage and I knew it would be expensive. The sensible choice its to buy used but having said that I'd happily pay £170K on a supercar and lose 100K over 3 years.

The thread is about affordable supercars that have already taken their depreciation hit.

Which is exactly what the EVO article was about, which is why it was mentioned... :coffee:

I think Fernandez was just using it for reference as EVO were suggesting that there's some cracking secondhand buys on the market now which is what Andy was saying in the original post... So if you had £70,000 and were looking at getting a premium sportscar brand new, you could actually go and buy a couple year old supercar instead as an alternative.

EVO is a cracking magazine, they were touching in the article that whenever somebody buys a new car the general response is; ''Yeah but for the money you could've had a three year old xyz...''... A lot of people would baulk at spending £17,000-£20,000 for a brand new Clio for example when they could pick up a V10 M5 for less than that and still have change for some new underwear!!! :smiley:

Not a bum article at all, I'd go with the lambo any day. Yes the Nissan is faster but when someone asks "what car do you drive?" Lamborghini is full of win..

gtrvslambo1.jpg

gtrvslambo2.jpg

gtrvslambo3.jpg

gtrvslambo4.jpg

gtrvslambo6.jpg

Even though a gtr is faster, I think I'd choose a lamborghini.

That article is very interesting though, the gtr is quite a lot faster, servicing is ALOT cheaper as well. Mental how Nissan have made such a fast car so affordable.

Similar Thread Suggestions