Shuv's Racing Blue 200...................

owuch, I did mean relatively cheap in terms of having of what it could have been....

With injectors, few hours labour doing compression check / fitting the injectors and any "extra" for the messing around on the rollers trying to diagnose the problem - its gonna be £400 more than i'd imagined spending that day i reckon.

But compared to the faffing around, time and expense of an engine rebuild its not so bad i guess. When he mentioned "low compression" on cylinder two - my abiltiy to speak did momentarily leave me !

Despite Brexit....seems we are dealing with France and 4 new injectors have eventually arrived.

Being fitted and then re-mapped tomorrow. Collection Wednesday (Incase any more 'minor' problems occur) :001_rolleyes:

After 10 days without it, i might well be bouncing off the limiter all the way home in a mixture of frustration / excitement.

Two words of advice if you see me in your mirrors on my way home - MOVE ASIDE :lol:

good luck mate..bet you cant wait..i've not driven my baby for 2 whole days and today it felt like a diff car..very pleased with the way it drives...
you know what they say:let it out!!!

Good to hear the car is on the way back to you Syer :smile: I'm sure it will all have been worth the wait and you'll love driving it with the remap in place :smile:

Good to hear the car is on the way back to you Syer :smile: I'm sure it will all have been worth the wait and you'll love driving it with the remap in place :smile:

Cheers Jimmy. If only pal....

Got a call from Engine Dynamics at 3pm today and not good.

4 new injectors fitted. Car still knocking. Not just primarily on cylinder 2. But now "slightly" across the board. Whether thats changed or is now more apparent, as cylinder 2 isn't such an obvious problem i cant tell you.

Fitted new crank (?) sensor, definately fitted new knock sensor, and also tried a known working knock sensor - still no difference. Checked nothing was silly loose - as apparently the knock sensor reads somewhat from the cars harmonics.....nothing obvious. So re-checked all the settings - found nothing. Then swapped spark plugs around to see if that changed any readings [They were new]....made no difference either. Checked Renault firmware etc and was all up to date, and also cam timing looks spot-on. He says car looks genuine and honest as it should with 30k on - and nothing suggests engine has been stripped, out in its life or tampered with.

So:

Compression good - 11 bar+ he said ???
New injectors.
New plugs.
New knock sensor.

Andy at Engine dynamics is now really at a loss and cant fathom out whats going on. Mechanics of engine seem great. electronics seem good, its serviced up to date in terms of consumables and yet in order to reduce the knocking its now running 2-3 degrees LESS advanced ignition than a standard car. Says he's never seen anything like it.

I spoke to my mechanic - who used to have a rolling road and do mapping (Mainly on Jap stuff) - he said all of the stuff Andy has done sounds spot-on and the only things he could think of is a possible vacuum leak or an inlet manifold leak. Both of those would lead to a lean mixture i guess and detonation as "we" were seeing.

Andy is going to double-check with his Dad tomorrow to see if he's missing something stupid. After that the only choice is to drain the fuel and refill with fresh high octane. he says the symptoms point to....and all thats left is a dodgy tank of fuel with a truly crap octane rating. Again he said on what is basically a standard 200 with basic breathing mods - this is unheard of in terms of the detonating and now having less ignition than a standard car to run 'ok'.

If that isnt the issue he is literally completely stuck !!

that really sucks..i would be devastated tbh..when it comes to engines,its a rocket science for me so leave that to experts..
i just hope that they find what causes it and fix it..
good luck mate

I'm really sorry to hear that bud :worried: it sounds like you've had some bad luck... I'm same as Pav when it comes to engines, I leave it to the experts as I really don't understand the inner workings... It sounds like it's in good hands at ED, I just hope they can get to the bottom of it. I feel for you mate.

that really sucks..i would be devastated tbh..when it comes to engines,its a rocket science for me so leave that to experts..
i just hope that they find what causes it and fix it..
good luck mate

What really sucks Pav - is i wasn't ever chasing horsepower.

After standard manifold issues - It was always about having an exhaust system for the life i owned the car, and a well running car after the remap. Plus side was i might gain a few horses and some driveability.

Im now at the stage where im throwing money at a problem we cant find, and the car is currently tamer than stock, and even doing that: isnt very happy.

Like me !

I'm really sorry to hear that bud :worried: it sounds like you've had some bad luck... I'm same as Pav when it comes to engines, I leave it to the experts as I really don't understand the inner workings... It sounds like it's in good hands at ED, I just hope they can get to the bottom of it. I feel for you mate.

Cheers my friend :smile:

just dont give up on her mate..we all have been there..i had had a rattly exhaust for over a year before we managed to find out what it was..and it had been on a ramp for more than 5 times..still couldnt figure it out..then one day we made the discovery and we fixed it...happy days and Pav was a very happy bunny again..Chris and Jimmy could tell ya...
its one of those stupid things..it will be something ridiculously tiny when you find it,and maybe not even expensive..
fingers crossed

That sucks mate I feel bad for you. Just fingers crossed it isn't anything serious. I nearly bought that car from MK also , eeeek.

After a somewhat elongated sabbatical; me and the Clio are re-united once again.

Andy was a little disappointed - the car being perhaps 5 or 6 lb ft down on what he might expect ref peak torque, however he said the top end is really good........so good he upped the rev limit to 7750rpm as it continued to hold the power at that end of the range. He could only attribute the torque down the the Toyo manifold; which he'd had no previous experience with.

Reckons on his rollers mine is making approx the same as standard cars torque; however that same standard car would make around 184hp he said.......so i have gained quite a bit there, and it holds it as per the graph.

75 miles back was painless. Ran well, drove alot nicer. Felt alot better / smoother / quicker picking-up in 6th when overtaking from 60+ mph without dropping cogs. So the numbers perhaps don't tell the whole story.

Was it worth it ? (Bar the injector issue !) Hell yea............

BEFORE:

IMG_4787_zps7jdwul9x.jpg

AFTER:

IMG_4786_zpsclnbjljt.jpg

Comments welcomed guys.............

Last edited:
Reactions: cpaterson76
people who know little or nothing about these engines will say that thats a rubbis result..but us,we know its not about numbers at all..the important thing is the drivability..and if that improves after the remap then you have won...
well done and im glad you are happy with your baby again..

I've gained everywhere in torque and bhp. In some areas quite significantly. Dont see that as a bad result.

For cars with similar mods - the figures are better than some, and worse than others in certain areas. All normal stuff.......

That's a pretty good result, bhp is ok but the torque is a bit low, but we all knows the torque is not so important in the 200s, if your happy and it drives better than its a good result! Could have stopped by mine on the way back for a brew!

Looks good mate. As everyone else has said as long as it's more drivable now and feels better than that's what matters. Got me excited for mine now haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great stuff Syer, really glad you've got her back and you're happy with the results :smile: shame about the 'hiccup' with the injectors, but the main thing is that it's sorted and you have her back on the road and enjoying yourself.