Steves Megane conversion build - She's finally running (VIDEO inside)

It's possible, all that would need doing is making up some aluminium covers and then machine the cover to match the new caps. Catcams do it on there solid lifter kit

The pic's I've seen are they are part of the timing kit, the rocker still provides the top bearing half when in use. The main issue is the head and rocker are line bored as one, so if you had anything made it would have to be machined to increbilde accuracy - you're not even supposed to use non matching rocker covers on these engines!
It's been something I've wanted to do for a while, would make checking lash on solid lifters a breeze. But also the pulleys need removing to remove the rocker - so additional work to be done there.

The cap issue assuming you could get satisfactory tolerances, should be easy enough. You'd also then need to mill out the caps from the rocker and find a way to bolt both the caps down, and have the rocker secure down also. Best way I thought was to instead of using the bolts like OE, use a red loctite secured threaded rod into the holes in the head, and each one secures down with a nut. It's only 12 or 18Nm for those bolts (forget off the top of my head which) - so that setup would be easily up to it.

I've got a spare head and rocker now....might have a play!

Well it's looking like I'm going to have to transport the car back from Manchester with it still not working, the temptation to put back to standard and sell is strong.

Try and get it to Tech1 perhaps as they've done a bunch of these now, they're pretty local to you - compared to Manchester anyway!

Try and get it to Tech1 perhaps as they've done a bunch of these now, they're pretty local to you - compared to Manchester anyway!

Possibly, I'm gonna get him to put in the a known working loom first I think. Then if it isn't that I'll know I don't have to look there when I get it back.

yep, got to control as many unknowns at first as possible. This guy should have been able to work out if it was his loom or not pretty quickly though surely :\

Little update as I havent posted in a while. Anyway car is still away, hopefully another loom is being put in this week. At least then I will be able to narrow down the fault if its not the loom, then if it is the loom, great Ill be able to drive it at last!

In the mean while Ive decided to strip apart my other gearbox so I have a spare or be able to sell it on. It had the 3rd gear crunch so will be replacing 3rd and 4th along with bearings. Creating a how to guide now on how to replace the synchros as well.

Right haven't updated this in a while. This is mainly because not much has happened with the car. I havent seen it for 4 months and Steve has checked everything he could possibly do. new loom, ecu, sensors and more. Seems the problem could be trickier to fix than first thought. Therefore the car will be either transported back home for me to try and fix or another option is to deliver it to RS tuning to see if Paul can figure it out. This makes sense as he is only 1 hour away from SC autos rather than 4 hours back to me. If he fixes it I could then get it mapped at the same time to make sure its safe. Ill be phoning them in the morning to discuss whats best to do.

While the car has been off the road Ive decided to strip the old engine and gearbox so they can be used should something go wrong at a later date.

Why has it taken 4 months? Surely if SC provided the ecu and loom (which are supposedly plug-and-play) you'd expect him to make it a priority?

Personally I'd get the car back now and take it to RS Tuning. If SC can't fix it in 4 months then there's not much hope of it being sorted anytime soon in all honesty. I'm sure RS will get to the bottom of it, and as you say you can get it mapped at the same time and kill two birds with the one stone. Makes sense really.
Good luck with this, hope it all goes well, and quickly.

Why has it taken 4 months? Surely if SC provided the ecu and loom (which are supposedly plug-and-play) you'd expect him to make it a priority?

Personally I'd get the car back now and take it to RS Tuning. If SC can't fix it in 4 months then there's not much hope of it being sorted anytime soon in all honesty. I'm sure RS will get to the bottom of it, and as you say you can get it mapped at the same time and kill two birds with the one stone. Makes sense really.
Good luck with this, hope it all goes well, and quickly.

cant say i am surprised by this...

[MENTION=29]foxspeed[/MENTION] well, given that SC pulled my pants down for a few hundred quid, and then reading the stuff I subsequently read on here, I can't say I am either unfortunately.
Hopefully RS can get this up and running soon, such a lot of good work gone into this.

Seems like anyone that's had dealings with him have had issues.....myself included. I'm not one to bitch on a forum but it took 4 months for him to supply parts to me and then when the parts did turn up, it was half of what was ordered and no good to anyone. I guess as he knocking it all on the head at the end of the month, he couldn't care less.

As regards to SC, Steve has been great to me, he has always provided support for me and even lent me spare parts in the parts for me to able to troubleshoot,. Yes he did take a little long but he is a small garage after all and is always busy. Its a shame that he is closing down, after all, this conversion wouldn't be possible without him creating it in the first place! It is a shame that he hasn't been to rectify my faults but that's just tuning I suppose, I was fully aware of the possible problems I could encounter when I started this project. The reason its going to EFI is because simply I don't have the time anymore to try and fix it myself, I get home about 7 and am also completing a degree which takes most my time up now days.

Last edited: