To get a 197 or not to get 197

Right i turned 20 in jan, already had 6 cars (not through writing them off, its boardem).
Iv been looking at the 197 for around 3months now and im in love and funily enough the missus is too :smiley:. So its nearly time to make the deciosion to buy one. Iv already missed out on a blue cup from my local renault dealer and now they have a red STD or a nimbus grey STD.

Il be using it as a everyday car so just wondering how much petrol/cost id be using/spending for 200miles a week.

Iv already done all the insurence stuff and have a quote for £980 which im happy to pay as i am only 20 and did have a mk3 2l 16v golf gti at 19 which i also paid around £900 for. 8)

Any help would be great!
sam

You are looking at 25/29mpg mate, tyres every 7/10k front 9/13k rear, only other expense it belts really at 3 and 5 years + service and plugs if they need doing.

Haha, Kevo66 you get me an insurence quote for under a grand for that spec and il hava think (good luck im only 20).

Looking for something std for me to mod.
I like the "built not bought" saying

Good luck on the sell though

Haha, Kevo66 you get me an insurence quote for under a grand for that spec and il hava think (good luck im only 20).

Looking for something std for me to mod.
I like the "built not bought" saying

Good luck on the sell though

Worth the extra insurance as you wont need to spend £££ to mod!! You would have to spend BIG £££ to get quicker!

Its all good iv got lots of time to do it, i want to make it my own if you no what i mean. I no if i go to any meets ect. with your motor if people come up to it they'l be saying "thats kevo's old motor" lol. Iv got my eyes set on a red 197 at my local renault garage.

Its all good iv got lots of time to do it, i want to make it my own if you no what i mean. I no if i go to any meets ect. with your motor if people come up to it they'l be saying "thats kevo's old motor" lol. Iv got my eyes set on a red 197 at my local renault garage.

Aye, I get you!! Look mint in red too!

...what sort of money are you thinking of spending on the car? you looking for a full fat version or a cup? of a full fat with cup pack? I keep toying with selling my cup....then I drive it and change my mind....once you got 20k miles they are awesome!!

I did the same with the golf i had toyed with selling it for about 4months and then someone put cash in my hand and it was gone!!
Im thinkin of spending around 10k so whatever i get will be over 20k, im to fussed on if its a std or with the cup pack.

This what they have at my local renault dealer,
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...500/keywords/197/page/1/sort/locasc&logcode=p

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...500/keywords/197/page/1/sort/locasc&logcode=p

sorry for the huge links...

mines for sale ff red 197 non cup...

with black powder coated wheels. 31k miles just serviced new wheels etc.

9800 same price

No you're not!! You'll never regret buying a 197! lol. Especially being 20 years old, got mine when I was 21 now 23 and still in love with it :smiley:

How did you get on with insurence when you were 21. how much were you paying if you dont mind me asking

Im not selling up - I am so happy with the car its unbelievable!

I think most people are trading in for a 200 which is 95% the same car so you can read what you want from that - IMO its that enjoyed their 197 and want something newer.

Ive got a promotion pack through the post today from Renault saying in great detail all of the awards they have won, TopGears Manufacturer of the Year and their hat-trick for Renaultsport at the What Car? awards. Its quite a good read actually and like I say it just plays on the new tweaks of the 200

I wouldn't only recommend getting one, I actually put my money where my month is and I am in no hurry to change it.

lol mines at that price cuz deep down i dont really want to sell it :-(

but i know i should.

amazing cars tho. i will be buying anouther right away. just think i want somthing thats more than a clio...

or an even newer one ;( oh i dont know really.

but it is for sale like most peoples im sure if offered the right amount

and you want a red one

How did you get on with insurence when you were 21. how much were you paying if you dont mind me asking

im a lucky swine tbh cuz i own a company on the net sellin car stuff. to people like halfords etc...

(with a lot of help from my dad and his comp ill admit)

i get dirty cheap insurance of £400 a year due to comp insurance

think it was like £1200 without the compo insurance

Not for me to comment on the private ones but if you were after modding then with all the work kev has done you could take it to a new level.

I think most people know what has been done and would be more interested in what you have done rather than say is that kevs old car and if they did they would be asking to speak to you to hear of improvements.

Last edited by a moderator: