To get a 197 or not to get 197

I wouldn't let myself drive someone's car i dont no (a member or anyone), you never no what could happen round the nect bend even if it was mine or another road users fault. I dont mean to cause disruption on here. Its all good info :smiley:

Jesus, I've had my 200 a week and racked up 625 miles in it so I can not only see the shift light but to hear the beep too.

The shift light comes on miles before you hit the limit mate and is designed to be used.

I like shift lights,

mine has this many (or will in a week or so)

RaceTechnology%20Dash2%2001.jpg

Jesus, I've had my 200 a week and racked up 625 miles in it so I can not only see the shift light but to hear the beep too.

The shift light comes on miles before you hit the limit mate and is designed to be used.

Was there no running in period or was it pre-owned?

Is it a shift light or rev-limit indicator on the 200?

if you can afford one, get one, them great little cars, but be warned i wouldnt get trashing one, even on test drive until you learn to drive it (not saying you cant drive)and know what its capiable of. just give a little gas to feel the pull

Im confused by all this talk of not revving it to the limiter?

Yes, dont do it in every gear all the time but thats why its set where its set and thats what the engine was made to do??? You dont hear owners of Type Rs or S2000s worrying about it, same principle with the engine in those!

Im confused by all this talk of not revving it to the limiter?

Yes, dont do it in every gear all the time but thats why its set where its set and thats what the engine was made to do??? You dont hear owners of Type Rs or S2000s worrying about it, same principle with the engine in those!

right on kev mine hits the limiter atleast once everytime i drive it lol

if you can afford one, get one, them great little cars, but be warned i wouldnt get trashing one, even on test drive until you learn to drive it (not saying you cant drive)and know what its capiable of. just give a little gas to feel the pull

I will :thumbup:. Yh will have to get used to it first. I no there very good at pulling at the top end as i found out accedently putting it back in to from 3rd on the test drive, good to watch the sells mans head fly back into the head rest (i did apologise to him). i wouldn't spend this sort of money to put it in a ditch in the first week.

Has anyone on here had ago in the twingo 133 cup or had a off the line start with one??

Some very patronising replies in this thread btw. The OP has already mentioned owning a GTI and the Clio is hardly an F1 car in comparison, is it?! :001_rolleyes:

None taken. That 'once' was not me driving. I let a bloke at work have a drive and he won't get the chance again. I have thrashed Clio Cup Racers, Porsche 911's, Jaguar XKR's, Caterhams, Palmer Audi's around Bedford so I think I can live without the one on my 197.

It's ok to do it to your own car but go easy on the test (especially if a members) is what I'm advising.

Oh sorry man...i was like wtf?
Anyway ,i completely agree..

Based on you lot's responses I've been out and tried to get my light to flash just in case the bulb has gone; it hasn't. That's twice now.

Some very patronising replies in this thread btw. The OP has already mentioned owning a GTI and the Clio is hardly an F1 car in comparison, is it?! :001_rolleyes:

i would say the clio is compared to a golf gti, ive pulled on them all day long

Has anyone on here had ago in the twingo 133 cup or had a off the line start with one??

My mate has a twingo 133 with cup chassis, straight line the clio destroys it. Through the twisties the clio is still better but doesnt race away from the twingo. Both wicked cars, but the clio is farrrr more powerful.

And i don't know why people on here are talking like you won't be able to handle the power lol, it's a renault clio, not a ferrari. I got mine when I was 20 having only owned a 1.1 rover metro, the clio is such an easy car to drive, the only thing that shocked me was the brakes. Almost put the salesmen through the window. But it hardly torque steers, and grips so much in the corners, my little sister could drive it and make it look easy tbh.

Last edited:
until you take island too fast and next thing is you going sideways, happened to me a few time, when standard. and did we at any point say that the clio is so powerful. we are saying be careful, as some people think a car can handle, means that they can put the foot to the floor and take any type of bend or island etc. some lads by me managed to roll one on an islands.

Last edited:
Owen-Starsky-Hutch-Signature-Do-It.jpg

lol yes go for it.

Best car I have ever had, only had 3 cars before the 197 though and they were all 1.2 but still.

Get into 3rd gear 5k revs and spank to bitch all the way to the limiter and you will have a grin so big people will wonder what the f you have been up to :blink:

When I had my test drive the crazy sales guy was telling me to go faster around a corner lol and to brake late, give him credit though it worked and I signed on the line there and then.

My mate has a twingo 133 with cup chassis, straight line the clio destroys it. Through the twisties the clio is still better but doesnt race away from the twingo. Both wicked cars, but the clio is farrrr more powerful.

yh iv got a mate with one too, awsome little car feels like it goes like stink when booted so the clio must be pretty damn quick!!!
Iv had 6 cars since i was 17 lol (not through writing them off boardem) so have abit of experience on taking it steady for the first 10mins ha. Reminds me of the fiesta zetec s i bought early this year and slid it into a post on the way home in the snow (good times) i now need something im goin to realy look after and hold on to for more than a year!!
Realy cant wait to start properly looking now!! Pay day on the 21st so iv got a little bit more to add to the pot!!:thumbup:

I take it you never bought one, as Platinum still have the same 3 cars on the forecourt, plus a white one as well now!