To get a 197 or not to get 197

Aw ta pal!! TBH, most would prob just want to hear it and have a go in it lol, or play with the spangly dash!!

You seen the clip of it at oulton, doesnt do it justice but still sounds immense, proper gutted at having to sell, actual tears have been shed, sad eh?! :worried:

I did the same with the golf i had toyed with selling it for about 4months and then someone put cash in my hand and it was gone!!
Im thinkin of spending around 10k so whatever i get will be over 20k, im to fussed on if its a std or with the cup pack.

This what they have at my local renault dealer,
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...500/keywords/197/page/1/sort/locasc&logcode=p

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...500/keywords/197/page/1/sort/locasc&logcode=p

sorry for the huge links...

I'd say overpriced. I was recently planning on selling my red FF 197 (57 reg) with 20k for £9500. Those seem too high for year/mileage.

i can see what your saying about price etc. just found this! Thanks all for the reply's, seems i will soon be joining a good community on here

How did you get on with insurence when you were 21. how much were you paying if you dont mind me asking

I was with Direct Line (21), had one years named driver and premium was £1200 fully comp, then last tear (22) I moved to Adrian Flux (Ensign) which is £820 fully comp, Not bad really with only my 1 year no claims.

That's not bad at all for your age! I'd be chuffed with that...now you just need to find the best 197 out there!

Thanks for the info, waiting for the 21st of this month then cash flow for car and insurence is nice!!

Thanks for the info, waiting for the 21st of this month then cash flow for car and insurence is nice!!

btw if you want a really nice clio why dont you like at times as its on pistonheads, white one 9995 i think with 40k on it but its got kw springs and loads of things so well looked after looks mental

If you wanna go for a spin in a 197 anytime, let me know. Only in Westbury. Platinum is my local dealer, too.

Ultimate drive and the looks the car gets just keeps you smiling :smile: :smile:
I dont drive stupid, have the odd blast, travel 40 miles/day back and for work. Roughly £35 a week (shell V POWER) @ 32-33MPG average at 65-70mph ish.
Roadworks 3/4 the way on the M4 helps costs too.......................
Cannot get my head around the £800-£1000 insurance though. I pay £347 @ age 32.
:smile:WILL NEVER REGRET BUYING ONE, HAS ALWAYS BEEN MY DREAM:smile:

£980??? Thats unbelievable, I was 20 in december and got myself a white 200 cup in febuary this year. Saw it at a dealers in wigan and fell in love with it straight away. No one would give me a quote as me being the main driver, even though i have been driving two and a half years, so my mum said she would insure it for me as me a named driver. :@
The CHEAPEST quote I got was £3000, but I just had to have the car so that was it. I am now pennyless but who cares when you have got the best hot hatch around outside the house!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbup1:

Last edited:
£980??? Thats unbelievable, I was 20 in december and got myself a white 200 cup in febuary this year. Saw it at a dealers in wigan and fell in love with it straight away. No one would give me a quote as me being the main driver, even though i have been driving two and a half years, so my mum said she would insure it for me as me a named driver. :@
The CHEAPEST quote I got was £3000, but I just had to have the car so that was it. I am now pennyless but who cares when you have got the best hot hatch around outside the house!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbup1:

don't know why people get such different insurance quotes, when I was 20 with 3 years no claims mine was £1999, this year my renewal was £1088, weird. Oh well, at the time my dad was like "are you sure you want to spend all that money insuring that car, can't you get something less powerful" best decision I ever made was telling him to jog on :smiley: lol

Simon that sounds like a plan im only in melksham!! I test drove one that was at the dealers but had to have a member of staff come out with me, so i did feel abit on edge watching the speedo everytime i changed gear, trying to stay at 60 when all i wanted to do was see the shift light and see what it could do :smiley:

Simon that sounds like a plan im only in melksham!! I test drove one that was at the dealers but had to have a member of staff come out with me, so i did feel abit on edge watching the speedo everytime i changed gear, trying to stay at 60 when all i wanted to do was see the shift light and see what it could do :smiley:

Sambo, take this the right way but if you get chance to 'test' a members motor avoid the shift light. Is it a shift light or over-rev indicator? I have only ever seen it once on my car in 8 months of ownership. The car will do possibly more than you are capable of if you've only been driving for three years. Trust me when I say the car is capable of a great deal. I don't want to rain on your parade but your test drive may be very short lived if you rag it.

Sambo, take this the right way but if you get chance to 'test' a members motor avoid the shift light. Is it a shift light or over-rev indicator? I have only ever seen it once on my car in 8 months of ownership. The car will do possibly more than you are capable of if you've only been driving for three years. Trust me when I say the car is capable of a great deal. I don't want to rain on your parade but your test drive may be very short lived if you rag it.

Only once?? :confused1:

No offence but maybe you don't understand what this car is built for.

i was going to say my mate has the twingo 133 cup and the shift light is always flashing when were on the A roads. Drives amazing when driven hard.

Only once?? :confused1:

No offence but maybe you don't understand what this car is built for.

None taken. That 'once' was not me driving. I let a bloke at work have a drive and he won't get the chance again. I have thrashed Clio Cup Racers, Porsche 911's, Jaguar XKR's, Caterhams, Palmer Audi's around Bedford so I think I can live without the one on my 197.

It's ok to do it to your own car but go easy on the test (especially if a members) is what I'm advising.